New Mustang - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-02-2013, 09:37 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
98vertgt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 490
New Mustang

Hey everyone I just moved up from a 98 gt and I have a few questions regarding my car. The car has pypes long tubes with an o/r x and borla exhaust and brenspeed Detroit rocker cams with a ford racing intake manifold. The car runs perfect and has tons of power but there's a slight tick at idle. It sounds like its coming from the collector down where the header meets the mid pipe and I know some of these cars have ticks that are fine. I'm just making sure my engine isn't running on borrowed time. Also in neutral with the clutch disengaged the transmission makes a rattle noise and I've read a couple TSBs about a separator plate. I'm just looking for any comfort and to see if anyone else has these issues. Thanks!
98vertgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-02-2013, 09:58 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
1lowGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Missouri
Posts: 3,903
Sold the 98?
__________________
2003 GT - full bolts ons, suspension, and drag radials
1998 cummins - 150hp injectors | FASS fuel kit | 4" straight pipe | 5" lift | BHAF | 20" wheels | edge juice w/ attitude | built auto trans with stall | closing in on 900tq | bigger turbo soon..

Follow me on instagram @nicknold for car and truck pictures
1lowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:12 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
98vertgt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lowGT View Post
Sold the 98?
I traded it in. It started having some tranny problems and they gave me a decent deal on it so I let it go
98vertgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-03-2013, 01:37 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
BeachMonkey100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Myrtle Beach
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98vertgt View Post
Hey everyone I just moved up from a 98 gt and I have a few questions regarding my car. The car has pypes long tubes with an o/r x and borla exhaust and brenspeed Detroit rocker cams with a ford racing intake manifold. The car runs perfect and has tons of power but there's a slight tick at idle. It sounds like its coming from the collector down where the header meets the mid pipe and I know some of these cars have ticks that are fine. I'm just making sure my engine isn't running on borrowed time. Also in neutral with the clutch disengaged the transmission makes a rattle noise and I've read a couple TSBs about a separator plate. I'm just looking for any comfort and to see if anyone else has these issues. Thanks!
I would check for any leaks if at all possible, if it is indeed a slight tick it is normal for these. Anything more than a slight tick I would have it looked at. There are some TSB's on the separator plate being changed out but all I did was take the two bottom bolts out and slid .020 washers between it and the rattle was gone. Mine was only at start up when the engine was cold, once at operating temperate it was gone, not sure if this is your case or not. But it only happened to me when accelerating when cold, nothing to do with the clutch.
__________________
2006 Mustang GT Premium Satin Silver Metallic | 5 Speed Manual | Hurst Short Shifter | K&N CAI | JSR Strut Brace, FLCA Brace, Rear Shock Tower Brace | Flowmaster Axle Backs | Ford K Springs | JM Trackbar | 93 Bama Performance Tune

BeachMonkey100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:19 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
98vertgt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachMonkey100 View Post

I would check for any leaks if at all possible, if it is indeed a slight tick it is normal for these. Anything more than a slight tick I would have it looked at. There are some TSB's on the separator plate being changed out but all I did was take the two bottom bolts out and slid .020 washers between it and the rattle was gone. Mine was only at start up when the engine was cold, once at operating temperate it was gone, not sure if this is your case or not. But it only happened to me when accelerating when cold, nothing to do with the clutch.
Thanks for your post. I had it checked out today and a couple mechanics both agreed that its just an exhaust leak. Ill check the TSBs out when I get back in town this week from work.
98vertgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:21 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
BeachMonkey100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Myrtle Beach
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98vertgt View Post

Thanks for your post. I had it checked out today and a couple mechanics both agreed that its just an exhaust leak. Ill check the TSBs out when I get back in town this week from work.
Good deal!
__________________
2006 Mustang GT Premium Satin Silver Metallic | 5 Speed Manual | Hurst Short Shifter | K&N CAI | JSR Strut Brace, FLCA Brace, Rear Shock Tower Brace | Flowmaster Axle Backs | Ford K Springs | JM Trackbar | 93 Bama Performance Tune

BeachMonkey100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



11:02 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.