New Mustang - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-02-2013, 09:37 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
New Mustang

Hey everyone I just moved up from a 98 gt and I have a few questions regarding my car. The car has pypes long tubes with an o/r x and borla exhaust and brenspeed Detroit rocker cams with a ford racing intake manifold. The car runs perfect and has tons of power but there's a slight tick at idle. It sounds like its coming from the collector down where the header meets the mid pipe and I know some of these cars have ticks that are fine. I'm just making sure my engine isn't running on borrowed time. Also in neutral with the clutch disengaged the transmission makes a rattle noise and I've read a couple TSBs about a separator plate. I'm just looking for any comfort and to see if anyone else has these issues. Thanks!
98vertgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2013, 09:58 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Sold the 98?

Follow me on instagram @nicknold for car and truck pictures
1lowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:12 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lowGT View Post
Sold the 98?
I traded it in. It started having some tranny problems and they gave me a decent deal on it so I let it go
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2013, 01:37 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98vertgt View Post
Hey everyone I just moved up from a 98 gt and I have a few questions regarding my car. The car has pypes long tubes with an o/r x and borla exhaust and brenspeed Detroit rocker cams with a ford racing intake manifold. The car runs perfect and has tons of power but there's a slight tick at idle. It sounds like its coming from the collector down where the header meets the mid pipe and I know some of these cars have ticks that are fine. I'm just making sure my engine isn't running on borrowed time. Also in neutral with the clutch disengaged the transmission makes a rattle noise and I've read a couple TSBs about a separator plate. I'm just looking for any comfort and to see if anyone else has these issues. Thanks!
I would check for any leaks if at all possible, if it is indeed a slight tick it is normal for these. Anything more than a slight tick I would have it looked at. There are some TSB's on the separator plate being changed out but all I did was take the two bottom bolts out and slid .020 washers between it and the rattle was gone. Mine was only at start up when the engine was cold, once at operating temperate it was gone, not sure if this is your case or not. But it only happened to me when accelerating when cold, nothing to do with the clutch.
2006 Mustang GT Premium Satin Silver Metallic | 5 Speed Manual | Hurst Short Shifter | K&N CAI | JSR Strut Brace, FLCA Brace, Rear Shock Tower Brace | Flowmaster Axle Backs | Ford K Springs | JM Trackbar | 93 Bama Performance Tune

BeachMonkey100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:19 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachMonkey100 View Post

I would check for any leaks if at all possible, if it is indeed a slight tick it is normal for these. Anything more than a slight tick I would have it looked at. There are some TSB's on the separator plate being changed out but all I did was take the two bottom bolts out and slid .020 washers between it and the rattle was gone. Mine was only at start up when the engine was cold, once at operating temperate it was gone, not sure if this is your case or not. But it only happened to me when accelerating when cold, nothing to do with the clutch.
Thanks for your post. I had it checked out today and a couple mechanics both agreed that its just an exhaust leak. Ill check the TSBs out when I get back in town this week from work.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:21 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98vertgt View Post

Thanks for your post. I had it checked out today and a couple mechanics both agreed that its just an exhaust leak. Ill check the TSBs out when I get back in town this week from work.
Good deal!
2006 Mustang GT Premium Satin Silver Metallic | 5 Speed Manual | Hurst Short Shifter | K&N CAI | JSR Strut Brace, FLCA Brace, Rear Shock Tower Brace | Flowmaster Axle Backs | Ford K Springs | JM Trackbar | 93 Bama Performance Tune

BeachMonkey100 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT