Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Axleback Project!

4K views 61 replies 13 participants last post by  Jsansom 
#1 ·
So I had a dream that I made some custom homemade mufflers/axlebacks. So Sunday night I started the dream into reality. I am starting out with 2.5" inner tube and my outer shell will be 4". So far I got my 2.5" exhaust pipe, headed to my buddies and had him flare it out for me just in case I decided to go that route while making the entire axleback, if not I will cut it off and just buttweld the entire thing (which was my normal process anyways). I will have a picture up in a few minutes, 96 holes in each inner tube.. I don't know what I would do without my drill press.

#4 ·
Thanks man! I just thought it would be something different, Maybe someone one day will ask what kind of exhaust I'm running and I can say my own! haha

#6 ·
I like the way they sound too, but I have some pretty anal neighbors and I am not trying to go that route lol.

#8 ·
I guess you could call it a muffler delete, but a glasspack/resonator still has a slight muffle rather than just a delete all together which is what I thought you meant.

#10 ·
forgot to post progress on this thread! had a little time yesterday to mock up everything and get it tacked, waiting to find some 4" for my outer shells and I'll be one step closer.

Attachments

#13 ·
Update: I found 4" pipe here at the beach after calling just about everywhere trying to find it. I got everything except my cover plates, I was going to cut them out with a hole saw and then by hand, but got a buddy that will laser cut them sometime this weekend or first of next week then it will be time to put it all together and burn it in! Hopefully this will be finished by next weekend, I'm excited to see how it sounds!

#17 ·
Alright boys new power is in the shop so I was able to get a little more done today. I bought stainless steel scrubbers and pulled them and stretched them all wound with copper wire to keep it on the inner tube, then it was wrapped with 1/8 thick carbon fiber. (I had a lot left over from subwoofer boxes I have done) so why not instead of fiberglass and it holds up to heat better. After that slipped on the tube and tacked it up. then proceeded to burn it in. Here is the outcome, tomorrow I'm going to get 3/8 rod make my hangers and hopefully get then painted, I'll mask off the ends for tips and get them on when I find some around here that doesn't break my wallet.

Attachments

#19 ·
yeah they definitely look different than your normal mustang axleback, but I'm excited to just get them on and see what they sound like! Im debating if I should get the hangers on and paint them tomorrow and put them on or wait until I get tips. I'll be deciding over night lol.

#21 ·
lol I know you are! me too! having no power in the shop for a week sucked!

#23 ·
Thanks man! I'm bringing the tech back to the tech forums! Lol just kidding, I just find it easier to fabricate my own stuff instead of paying for it. I've made a lot of custom parts for my car and other friends cars. I love it. It's why I do it.

#25 ·
I will do! when it's finished I will do a complete list of what I used and how I did it, but really if you read the entire thread it explains it all hence "tech" lol. but thanks!! I hope it will come out nice, I hope to finish it up tomorrow!

#26 ·
So I finished up my hangers, used 3" for my tips and currently their sitting in the paint room (which is not clean and has some stuff in it, for mufflers we won't bother. If it was a car it would be scrubbed down and prepped for painting). 3 coats of epoxy, used propane torch inside the mufflers to bake them from the inside out. (Since our oven is currently being transported to the shop).

#27 ·
Currently drying, which if anyone who has worked with epoxy knows it takes a good while lol.

Attachments

#30 ·
exhaust sounds awesome, the tone change quite a bit and is a little louder than it was originally with flowmasters. I was so happy when I pulled out of my shop to go home I couldn't wait to get on the little four mile long two lane road.

I did get a quick exhaust clip in my driveway, it was a cold start, and on my iPhone so don't judge me!

http://youtu.be/lrecMUPCkhE

#32 ·
That's one quality looking piece. This motivates me to make some of my own stuff. Great work!!!![/QUOTE

Thanks! hey I hope I can spread some motivation throughout the forum!!

#35 ·
I thought they would have been louder too, but it's louder than it was. remember I'm still on all stock exhaust upfront! thought about gutting my cats :)

#38 ·
Haha I plan on getting one this weekend! I have exams and a lot of studying this week! So busy busy.

Sounds good. Would you mind sharing how much you have in dollar and labor wise? Keep up the good work!
Thanks! well all my pipe both 2.5" (30") and 4"(24") = $30, I made my end plates by hand with some scrap 16 gauge sheet metal I had. For the pack I used some spare carbon fiber sheets (I didn't have to pay for them a while back it was given to me). But it's 1/8" and prices usually range from $35-50 per square foot of this material and weave. Instead of using steel wool I used stainless scrubbers used in sinks 7 packs X $1.65 and pulled them apart and wrapped them around the inner pipe with stainless wire.
I had the welder (mig) our tig isn't set up or I would have used that, but no one will see these unless you look for it. labor probably took me around 5 hours total to get these cut, mounted, mocked, welded and painted. I hope that covers everything!

#37 ·
Sounds good. Would you mind sharing how much you have in dollar and labor wise?

Keep up the good work!

#42 ·
I don't have any popping with them now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.