Strange sound in my 2007 GT - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-08-2013, 11:31 PM   #1

Region: Massachusetts
Strange sound in my 2007 GT

I drive a 2007 GT that is bone stock with very low miles, however when I am slowing down or accelerating (usually between 0-10 mph) I hear a strange clinking sound. My dad thinks it may be the u-joints. It sounds like metal against metal and is not a hard banging noise or a loose kind of banging but more of a single "clink". I don't notice any problems due to the sound but I want to make sure it won't cause me problems in the future, any ideas?
BentonEdwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2013, 11:48 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Check the exhaust hangers. When the car heats up, the exhaust expands about an inch or two. Sometimes the metal hangers will hit against metal. Happened to me, so I wrapped the exhaust hangers with some rubber tubing and zip ties. I do have an aftermarket axleback though. Good luck...
2009 Mustang GT Premium; FRRP 4.10 Gears, J&M Lower Control Arms, BBK Long Tube Headers, BBK Catted X Pipe, Pypes M80 Mid Mufflers, Pypes Pype Bomb Axle Back, JLT Series 3 Cold Air Intake, Bama 93 Octane Race Tune, Black Decklid Panel, Weathertech Mats, SVE Shifter and Shorty Antenna.
Langer1099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langer1099 View Post
Check the exhaust hangers. When the car heats up, the exhaust expands about an inch or two..

I know I've heard it multiple times when the car was still cold so I'm not sure what it would be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2013, 12:02 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Ahhh, well that would probably not be the issue then. You can still check, only takes a minute to see. Spare tire and jack rattling?
2009 Mustang GT Premium; FRRP 4.10 Gears, J&M Lower Control Arms, BBK Long Tube Headers, BBK Catted X Pipe, Pypes M80 Mid Mufflers, Pypes Pype Bomb Axle Back, JLT Series 3 Cold Air Intake, Bama 93 Octane Race Tune, Black Decklid Panel, Weathertech Mats, SVE Shifter and Shorty Antenna.
Langer1099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:10 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Is it a random clinking or speed related? Can u feel any vibration when you hear the clinking? Does anything cause it to get louder? E.G. Braking hard or turning, things like that. What general direction does it seem to be coming from? Automatic transmission?
irishn8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:14 AM   #6

I have had this problem and also thought it was a u-joint. I put the car on the lift to check it out. Couldn't find anything suspicious. A friend said it could be a wheel bearing. So i spun all four tires while still on the lift. Last tire I got to was that annoying clanking sound. Turns out it was a tire pressure monitor that les schwab broke when I got new tires, it was was just bouncing around in there. They fixed it for free, wasn't a big deal. But I could hear it very clearly from 1-15 mph. Just give all four tires a good spin and see if this is the case. Let us know how it goes
07Shelby_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishn8 View Post
Is it a random clinking or speed related? Can u feel any vibration when you hear the clinking? Does anything cause it to get louder? E.G. Braking hard or turning, things like that. What general direction does it seem to be coming from? Automatic transmission?
It's definitely speed related, only happens when I'm decelerating to a full stop (usually the last 5mph) and accelerating (first 5 mph) it usually happens when I'm just slowing down at a red light or stop sign. I don't think turning sharp or braking hard causes it, and it's a 5 speed manual

---------- Post added at 04:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:12 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07Shelby_GT View Post
I have had this problem and also thought it was a u-joint. I put the car on the lift to check it out.
My dad has a lift and ill be heading out to his garage soon because I need an oil change and rotate the tires
Old 09-09-2013, 04:51 PM   #8

Ok so I drove around some more and really payed attention to the sound and it's definitely coming from the front right side and is alot more often then not, just when I am decelerating to a full stop and it's when I'm going maybe 2 mph. It does it whether I am in neutral or in gear with the clutch in
Old 09-09-2013, 05:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentonEdwards View Post
it's definitely coming from the front right side and is alot more often then not
And by alot more often then not I mean I can sometimes usually hear it from the back but it's two little clinks. I think accelerating makes the back ones clink and stopping makes the front clink which leads me to believe it must have something to do with the axels/swaybars or suspension but I'm not sure. Hope that gives you more info
Old 09-10-2013, 09:50 AM   #10

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07Shelby_GT View Post
I have had this problem and also thought it was a u-joint. I put the car on the lift to check it out. Couldn't find anything suspicious. A friend said it could be a wheel bearing. So i spun all four tires while still on the lift. Last tire I got to was that annoying clanking sound. Turns out it was a tire pressure monitor that les schwab broke when I got new tires, it was was just bouncing around in there. They fixed it for free, wasn't a big deal. But I could hear it very clearly from 1-15 mph. Just give all four tires a good spin and see if this is the case. Let us know how it goes
It's most like this. I had the same problem. Both front sensors were loose and spinning around. Noisy only at low speeds as discussed. Good luck!
ScaryPerryDawsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:25 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Thats interesting that it clinks up front when stopping and in the back when accelerating. Like a ball in a box. Dont suppose u have something rolling around? Where there any key events that happened the day you noticed it or maybe a day or two before? Definitely need to do a good front to back visual inspection.
What i meant by speed related is that the noise might be directly proportional to engine speed or vehicle speed. Not that it occurs at a certain speed, which is still good to know and you said its only like 2 clinks just before stopping and take off. So that tells me there is something loose and you do not have a drivetrain issue.
I imagine a bolt hanging from a string, clinking against a tailpipe.
Anyway when you do ur inspection, not only are you looking for the obvious but also anything that just doesnt look right. Jiggle things to see if they are loose, move things that move when you stop or go. Try to re-enact the scenario. U might even find an empty parking lot and get going about 10-15mpg and open the door and stick ur head out and listen while you stop. Obviously be very careful with that.
irishn8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:33 PM   #12

Okay thanks for the advice ill put it up on a lift soon and let you guys know if I figure it out

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT