someone please help me! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-11-2013, 08:30 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
BeachMonkey100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Myrtle Beach
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 497
someone please help me!

Alright so I have been chasing this squeak on my RF for the past two months. I have replaced strut tower mounts, resurfaced the rotors, chamfered and scuffed my pads, cleaned sliding pins and relubed, replaced the sliding clips. It is a squeak/chirp with every rotation, but once I hit the brakes somewhat firmly it goes away. It is the most annoying thing while cruising around. I did notice this last week, I took my wheel off and put 5 lug nuts back on to act like the wheel is on, when I spun the rotor it was colliding with the brake pads a good bit on a section of the rotor. It was where I could spin it and it would stop the rotor because it had so much contact on one spot of the rotor. I am going to assume its warped, and I plan to replace all my pads and rotors. Anyone have any insight on this? I have replaced my tie rod ends too, it drives so much better now too. I do have a bit of a steering wheel shake, and I know my wheel weights are fine, so again a warped rotor possibly?
__________________
2006 Mustang GT Premium Satin Silver Metallic | 5 Speed Manual | Hurst Short Shifter | K&N CAI | JSR Strut Brace, FLCA Brace, Rear Shock Tower Brace | Flowmaster Axle Backs | Ford K Springs | JM Trackbar | 93 Bama Performance Tune

BeachMonkey100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-11-2013, 08:38 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Fader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Boise
Region: Idaho
Posts: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachMonkey100 View Post
Alright so I have been chasing this squeak on my RF for the past two months. I have replaced strut tower mounts, resurfaced the rotors, chamfered and scuffed my pads, cleaned sliding pins and relubed, replaced the sliding clips. It is a squeak/chirp with every rotation, but once I hit the brakes somewhat firmly it goes away. It is the most annoying thing while cruising around. I did notice this last week, I took my wheel off and put 5 lug nuts back on to act like the wheel is on, when I spun the rotor it was colliding with the brake pads a good bit on a section of the rotor. It was where I could spin it and it would stop the rotor because it had so much contact on one spot of the rotor. I am going to assume its warped, and I plan to replace all my pads and rotors. Anyone have any insight on this? I have replaced my tie rod ends too, it drives so much better now too. I do have a bit of a steering wheel shake, and I know my wheel weights are fine, so again a warped rotor possibly?
It sure sounds like a warped rotor to me, and would certainly cause a little jiggle in your steering wheel. The good news is you can replace the rotor, by itself, for a little money, or upgrade your brakes. There are good, lower-cost options for brakes, unless you MUST HAVE the 14" Brembo package.
Fader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:09 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
BeachMonkey100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Myrtle Beach
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fader View Post
It sure sounds like a warped rotor to me, and would certainly cause a little jiggle in your steering wheel. The good news is you can replace the rotor, by itself, for a little money, or upgrade your brakes. There are good, lower-cost options for brakes, unless you MUST HAVE the 14" Brembo package.
that's is what I'm thinking, I have checked just about everything else and it just doesn't make sense. I thought at first it was the ball joint but didn't make sense if it stopped when I hit the brakes. I was even more confused after it started happening about 3 weeks after they were resurfaced. I don't really have a want for the Brembo package, even though it would be nice. I have read from others on here and think I'm going to go with brake motive's whole set-up. Really good deal and everyone on here hasn't had a problem so why not!
__________________
2006 Mustang GT Premium Satin Silver Metallic | 5 Speed Manual | Hurst Short Shifter | K&N CAI | JSR Strut Brace, FLCA Brace, Rear Shock Tower Brace | Flowmaster Axle Backs | Ford K Springs | JM Trackbar | 93 Bama Performance Tune

BeachMonkey100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-11-2013, 09:19 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
610swolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Louisville
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 442
Sounds like what I was going through. Especially the steering wheel shake, I hated it! I had my tires balanced and rotated and still the same thing. Finally figured that my left drivers side rotor was going so instead of just replacing the front two rotors and pads and back pads like I had planned it'd be cheaper just to go through brake motive and have everything changed at the same time.

I just got my order in from brake motive about a week and a half ago and no problems here. they where a very good deal! I even got them on sale when they took off 10% for like 2 days haha.
610swolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:26 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Fader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Boise
Region: Idaho
Posts: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachMonkey100 View Post
that's is what I'm thinking, I have checked just about everything else and it just doesn't make sense. I thought at first it was the ball joint but didn't make sense if it stopped when I hit the brakes. I was even more confused after it started happening about 3 weeks after they were resurfaced. I don't really have a want for the Brembo package, even though it would be nice. I have read from others on here and think I'm going to go with brake motive's whole set-up. Really good deal and everyone on here hasn't had a problem so why not!
Another option is the PowerStop package. I've heard good things about PowerStop rotors, and the whole rotor/pad package is less than $350 for direct replacements. That's tough to beat.

It'd be interesting if you have the old rotor turned on a lathe, to see just how far out it really is. Wouldn't take much to cause problems.

Question: Does the noise and shake get worse with increased speed?
Fader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:35 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
BeachMonkey100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Myrtle Beach
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by 610swolf View Post
Sounds like what I was going through. Especially the steering wheel shake, I hated it! I had my tires balanced and rotated and still the same thing. Finally figured that my left drivers side rotor was going so instead of just replacing the front two rotors and pads and back pads like I had planned it'd be cheaper just to go through brake motive and have everything changed at the same time.

I just got my order in from brake motive about a week and a half ago and no problems here. they where a very good deal! I even got them on sale when they took off 10% for like 2 days haha.
Yeah, but if not it's like $187 bucks shipped to me. So still isn't that bad. I have heard a lot of good things about them. I think that's where I'm headed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fader View Post
Another option is the PowerStop package. I've heard good things about PowerStop rotors, and the whole rotor/pad package is less than $350 for direct replacements. That's tough to beat.

It'd be interesting if you have the old rotor turned on a lathe, to see just how far out it really is. Wouldn't take much to cause problems.

Question: Does the noise and shake get worse with increased speed?
I have also heard really good things about these as well, it is tough to beat. I will have to do a little more research on the two brands.

I will keep all 4 once they are replaced, and one of my dad's good friends has been a ford mechanic for years and years, so I will have him turn them down to see how far out they were. He turned them down last time though too, I go to him for everything like that. Simply because I don't have to pay for it lol..

---------- Post added at 10:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:33 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fader View Post
Another option is the PowerStop package. I've heard good things about PowerStop rotors, and the whole rotor/pad package is less than $350 for direct replacements. That's tough to beat.

It'd be interesting if you have the old rotor turned on a lathe, to see just how far out it really is. Wouldn't take much to cause problems.

Question: Does the noise and shake get worse with increased speed?
Sorry, just noticed I didn't answer your question. the noise is hard to hear at times and other times its just blatantly noticeable. The shake, well not so bad until you get around 65-70mph. Really telling me that its a rotor. It's hard to have these symptoms and it not be a rotor when I have checked everything else over or replaced it.
__________________
2006 Mustang GT Premium Satin Silver Metallic | 5 Speed Manual | Hurst Short Shifter | K&N CAI | JSR Strut Brace, FLCA Brace, Rear Shock Tower Brace | Flowmaster Axle Backs | Ford K Springs | JM Trackbar | 93 Bama Performance Tune

BeachMonkey100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:54 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
garbill2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 914
That is a rotor for sure
garbill2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:56 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
BeachMonkey100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Myrtle Beach
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by garbill2003 View Post
That is a rotor for sure
Thanks for the reassurment! I did order a whole new set of rotors and pads yesterday, they should be here tomorrow! Talk about fast!
__________________
2006 Mustang GT Premium Satin Silver Metallic | 5 Speed Manual | Hurst Short Shifter | K&N CAI | JSR Strut Brace, FLCA Brace, Rear Shock Tower Brace | Flowmaster Axle Backs | Ford K Springs | JM Trackbar | 93 Bama Performance Tune

BeachMonkey100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:01 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
garbill2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 914
Who

---------- Post added at 11:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 AM ----------

Did you orderthem from
garbill2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:03 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
BeachMonkey100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Myrtle Beach
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by garbill2003 View Post
Who

---------- Post added at 11:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 AM ----------

Did you orderthem from
Heard great things about brake motive, so I went that direction. For $187, I think it's worth to see what the talk is all about. A few guys here that meet locally every other weekend have them and swear by them. So why not give it a shot and see.
__________________
2006 Mustang GT Premium Satin Silver Metallic | 5 Speed Manual | Hurst Short Shifter | K&N CAI | JSR Strut Brace, FLCA Brace, Rear Shock Tower Brace | Flowmaster Axle Backs | Ford K Springs | JM Trackbar | 93 Bama Performance Tune

BeachMonkey100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:05 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
garbill2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 914
My break upgrade will be steeda but I road course my car
garbill2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:06 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
BeachMonkey100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Myrtle Beach
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by garbill2003 View Post
My break upgrade will be steeda but I road course my car
I don't road course so I have no need lol.
__________________
2006 Mustang GT Premium Satin Silver Metallic | 5 Speed Manual | Hurst Short Shifter | K&N CAI | JSR Strut Brace, FLCA Brace, Rear Shock Tower Brace | Flowmaster Axle Backs | Ford K Springs | JM Trackbar | 93 Bama Performance Tune

BeachMonkey100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:12 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
Davo_281GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Bogalusa
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 326
What brakemotive kit did you order? I am only finding kits for the V6. Do you have a web address?
__________________
"A mans reach should exceed his grasp."
Davo_281GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:38 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
BeachMonkey100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Myrtle Beach
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo_281GT View Post
What brakemotive kit did you order? I am only finding kits for the V6. Do you have a web address?
I got this kit!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-418934439.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	167.8 KB
ID:	128571  
__________________
2006 Mustang GT Premium Satin Silver Metallic | 5 Speed Manual | Hurst Short Shifter | K&N CAI | JSR Strut Brace, FLCA Brace, Rear Shock Tower Brace | Flowmaster Axle Backs | Ford K Springs | JM Trackbar | 93 Bama Performance Tune

BeachMonkey100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:40 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
610swolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Louisville
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo_281GT View Post
What brakemotive kit did you order? I am only finding kits for the V6. Do you have a web address?
when on ebay use this ref number 400343904898. just search it. It'll pull up the brake kit and right now it's on sale for 168 for all four rotors and pads!
610swolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 02:35 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
BeachMonkey100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Myrtle Beach
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by 610swolf View Post

when on ebay use this ref number 400343904898. just search it. It'll pull up the brake kit and right now it's on sale for 168 for all four rotors and pads!
My luck.. Haha
__________________
2006 Mustang GT Premium Satin Silver Metallic | 5 Speed Manual | Hurst Short Shifter | K&N CAI | JSR Strut Brace, FLCA Brace, Rear Shock Tower Brace | Flowmaster Axle Backs | Ford K Springs | JM Trackbar | 93 Bama Performance Tune

BeachMonkey100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



12:10 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.