Is my new mustang underpowered? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-26-2013, 01:20 AM   #1

Region: New Mexico
Is my new mustang underpowered?

Hi all! I'm new to the forum (obviously first post and all) and actually the world of sports cars in general. My last three vehicles have been Jeeps. Long story short i got to drive the gf's mom's 07 GT and just couldn't stand not having one so I went out and got an 06 GT Premium with 74000 miles currently.

Whoever had the car before me put an airaid intake, longtube headers, what i originally thought was some sort of funky h-pipe (turns out its a Prochamber), and a magnaflow axleback on it.

Other than that our cars are the same, same size tires and wheels and we both have 3:55's.

Well after having driven my car for a while i got a chance to drive the gf's mom's 07 again and WOW her car (which is bone stock) seems to pull noticeable harder than mine right from the get go so I get to talking to people and most people seem to think it's a tuning issue so i order an sct tuner from american muscle and tune the thing.

The car felt alot better but still doesn't feel like it pulls as hard as hers so now i'm left scratching my head wondering if something's wrong with the car. I'm fairly mechanically inclined, i've done just about everyhting under the sun to the various jeeps i've had so fixing a problem wouldn't be an issue.

I took the mustang to the dyno to find out if it was indeed underpowered and came up the these numbers running the 91 octane race tune. I believe these are the corrected number as the graph doesn't say "uncorrected" in the corner with a smoothing factor of 5.

Thanks for the input guys, and
nice to meet you all!
anticitezan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2013, 01:41 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Welcome to the world of Mustangs

Huh, so it does seem you're poor pony may be a little slow... Which is very strange to me.

I understand sometimes you won't always have the 300HP Ford rates the GT's at and in reality may be like 280-290HP, but with your CAI, headers, and tune, that should net you at least 30-40 more HP making a total of 320-330HP at least...
Rice Eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 02:05 AM   #3
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Remember that there is the approximate 15% drivetrain loss for manuals and 20% for automatics... Looks like your numbers are right on the money for what you have done.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2013, 02:12 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
i gotta agree those numbers look average for what we know about your car so far

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:21 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Welcome man, time to boost it! Lol
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:22 AM   #6

Ok cool, well good to know it sounds fairly average! Yeah the guy over at the place I got it dyno'd (dyno edge) seemed to think that was pretty good. I guess I'm just used to seeing a lot of your guy's being somewhat over 300hp. The dyno guy, who I guess is the local mustang authority suggested I get under drive pulleys, charge motion delete plates, and gears. So I've got a set of ford racing 4.10's on the way .

As far as the gf's moms vs mine, I've heard that an unrestrictive exhaust can kinda shift your power toward the top end so that's my theory as of late. Have you guys ever found any truth to that?

On a side note, the car's a 5 speed with 18" wheels and I get all of about 14.5 mpg in town which also seems low compared to a lot of other mustangs. But maybe it's just wishful thinking haha

Also, pick of the culprit

Old 09-26-2013, 08:41 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Welcome to the community. That is one sexy Stang you got there. Loving the red on that black.
SoberGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 01:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoberGT View Post
Welcome to the community. That is one sexy Stang you got there. Loving the red on that black.
Thanks! Yeah originally I didn't like the stripes and wheels but seems like everyone I run into kinda likes it and it's starting to grow on me haha
Old 09-26-2013, 01:38 PM   #9
Sad Panda
Staff

Region: Texas
nice car welcome for sure
98 UA Mustang GT - sold
10 CI Mustang GT - slow
silverskoundrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 01:45 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Those #s are about right actually
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 01:52 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by anticitezan1 View Post
Thanks! Yeah originally I didn't like the stripes and wheels but seems like everyone I run into kinda likes it and it's starting to grow on me haha
Completely understand some things just take some getting use to then they just grow on you. Lol good power numbers too btw
SoberGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 02:51 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Hi and welcome!

I agree with the guys here. Most of the time I have seen a bone stock GT 05-09 put down around 268rwhp, so I think what you have is realistic as Rapinator126 has already said.

Enjoy that car!
2008 GT/CS - {SLP Loudmouth Axle Back Exhaust- SR Strut Tower Brace - Raxiom Sequential Tail Light Kit - C&L Street CAI - Bama Tune - FRPP Lowering Springs - FRPP Rear Sway Bar - FRPP Struts & Shocks - BMR TCA032 LCAs}
jellyroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 05:38 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Also consider her tires may have better tread or something. But yea those numbers look right
Doe_Rae_mi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:15 PM   #14

Awesome well now at least i have a baseline! My goal is to get up around 350 HP n/a (which i think is pretty reasonable). Thanks for the input guys!
Old 09-26-2013, 11:25 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Also no one mentioned yet but what if her car has different hers they make the car feel way more powerful without the power so yea that could be it also
Cold Air Intake
K&N Air Filter
Front sway bar Bushings
andregayola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:36 PM   #16
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by andregayola View Post
Also no one mentioned yet but what if her car has different hers they make the car feel way more powerful without the power so yea that could be it also
He said they both have 3.56 gears. It's probably the low end he lost with the LTs

HID end all thread
Old 09-26-2013, 11:48 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Is he sure that the other stang has those because the low end torque lost with lt wouldn't account for that extreme loss in feel
Cold Air Intake
K&N Air Filter
Front sway bar Bushings
Old 09-27-2013, 12:01 AM   #18
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by andregayola View Post
Is he sure that the other stang has those because the low end torque lost with lt wouldn't account for that extreme loss in feel
He said pulled harder from the get go, that's torque, the LTs shifted the power up a little more, so you lose that touchy/ torquey feeling but gain top end. And top end doesn't give as much of a "feel" as torque does.

HID end all thread
Old 09-27-2013, 12:10 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Idk then im at a lost why if he says its stock then no mater what he should feel more power tuned and everything so idk
Cold Air Intake
K&N Air Filter
Front sway bar Bushings
Old 09-27-2013, 07:40 AM   #20
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Welcome to MEVO!

It sounds like you have a pretty nice S197 Mustang and definitely have some good mods so far! The graph you posted looks very normal for a bolt on S197 GT. Ford rates this car at 305 HP from the factory, that is to the crank. With a 12-15% drivetrain loss, a stock S197 GT will usually dyno around 250-260 RWHP. So from your mods you picked up 30+ RWHP! These numbers can also change with the weather, Manual or Auto Trans, what gear did they do the pull in, What type of dyno? A Dynojet will read much more accurate than a Mustang Dyno (unless the Mustang dyno is running the proper correction factor update)

These are all things to think about! Remember, a dyno graph is just some numbers. The important thing is how the car feels! If you'd like us to look into your tune and see if we can make some adjustments, we can definitely do that for you just give the Bama team a call. They can be reached at the contact information in my signature!

I hope this helps!

-Dan
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 11:35 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

The 300 hp that they were rated with was at the flywheel not the rear wheels. Those 4.10s you have coming will make it a whole new beast. Enjoy your car bud
garbill2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 12:45 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDanBailer
Welcome to MEVO!

It sounds like you have a pretty nice S197 Mustang and definitely have some good mods so far! The graph you posted looks very normal for a bolt on S197 GT. Ford rates this car at 305 HP from the factory, that is to the crank. With a 12-15% drivetrain loss, a stock S197 GT will usually dyno around 250-260 RWHP. So from your mods you picked up 30+ RWHP! These numbers can also change with the weather, Manual or Auto Trans, what gear did they do the pull in, What type of dyno? A Dynojet will read much more accurate than a Mustang Dyno (unless the Mustang dyno is running the proper correction factor update)

These are all things to think about! Remember, a dyno graph is just some numbers. The important thing is how the car feels! If you'd like us to look into your tune and see if we can make some adjustments, we can definitely do that for you just give the Bama team a call. They can be reached at the contact information in my signature!

I hope this helps!

-Dan
LOL a dynojet might be more accurate if we drove our cars on the moon !!! or earth had no gravity and our cars weighed 0 pounds and there was no such thing as wind resistance...

a mustang dyno takes those facts into consideration !! therefor a mustang dyno is more accurate on planet EARTH !!
and and and I DRIVE IT LIKE I STOLE IT !!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K_QJ...ure=plcp<br />http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWfvYVYlfio&feature=plcp
Sirtat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 02:00 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Doe_Rae_mi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 02:59 PM   #24
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

I disagree with those #s being almost spot on. My 07 with LTs,catted H,CAI,race tune and 4.10s (which would pull less) on a mustang dyno made 299 @ the wheels. Remember it is a dyno though. Mine made this in 100 degree TX weather.

Disclaimer: I'm not trying to start debate......just using my 07 as an example.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 03:12 PM   #25
ME Bloodhound
Staff

[QUOTE="DDTCM;1809448"]I disagree with those #s being almost spot on. My 07 with LTs,catted H,CAI,race tune and 4.10s (which would pull less) on a mustang dyno made 299 @ the wheels. Remember it is a dyno though. Mine made this in 100 degree TX weather. Disclaimer: I'm not trying to start debate......just using my 07 as an example.[/QUOTE
So you made about 20-25hp more and had a race tune on top of his mods..... Still sounds like it's matching up. He also never said the conditions he dynod in so we don't know if weather could have affected his.

HID end all thread
Old 09-27-2013, 03:23 PM   #26
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

[QUOTE=Soccerluvr4;1809457]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post
I disagree with those #s being almost spot on. My 07 with LTs,catted H,CAI,race tune and 4.10s (which would pull less) on a mustang dyno made 299 @ the wheels. Remember it is a dyno though. Mine made this in 100 degree TX weather. Disclaimer: I'm not trying to start debate......just using my 07 as an example.[/QUOTE
So you made about 20-25hp more and had a race tune on top of his mods..... Still sounds like it's matching up. He also never said the conditions he dynod in so we don't know if weather could have affected his.
The OP had the same mods as my 07 (including race tune) and had 3.55 VS my 4.10s. Doesn't stack up. I've seen (in person) a 07 with race tune and a off road mid pipe pull 302 on the same Mustang dyno that mine ran on........same day,same weather.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 04:43 PM   #27
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Your right, I missed that part of him getting a tuner. My bad

HID end all thread
Old 09-28-2013, 12:30 AM   #28

Thanks for all the great responses guys I appreciate the feedback! Yeah it makes me wonder if between the mileage and seemingly losing power if not all the gas is getting burnt so I was thinking maybe some higher voltage coil packs would help that gas burn but I've heard they really don't make a difference so I'm on the fence.

If it helps, when I put it on the dyno it was about 85 degrees here in Albuquerque and it's a high altitude (5500 ft) desert environment so at least it's nice dry air. Correct me if I'm wrong but don't the corrected numbers usually kind of boost your actual numbers in order to sort of standardize them?

On a side note, have any of you guys done your own gears in your cars? How did you manage to get under the car to work on them? Just jack it way up and put it on jack stands?

Also, for those of you who payed for your installs what did it cost you? if you don't mind me asking.
Old 09-28-2013, 01:16 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by anticitezan1 View Post
Thanks for all the great responses guys I appreciate the feedback! Yeah it makes me wonder if between the mileage and seemingly losing power if not all the gas is getting burnt so I was thinking maybe some higher voltage coil packs would help that gas burn but I've heard they really don't make a difference so I'm on the fence. If it helps, when I put it on the dyno it was about 85 degrees here in Albuquerque and it's a high altitude (5500 ft) desert environment so at least it's nice dry air. Correct me if I'm wrong but don't the corrected numbers usually kind of boost your actual numbers in order to sort of standardize them? On a side note, have any of you guys done your own gears in your cars? How did you manage to get under the car to work on them? Just jack it way up and put it on jack stands? Also, for those of you who payed for your installs what did it cost you? if you don't mind me asking.
Hey I've had 2 different mustang tuners say that the aftermarket coil on plugs are no good and that the stock ones are better.
Edd204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 09:18 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd204 View Post

Hey I've had 2 different mustang tuners say that the aftermarket coil on plugs are no good and that the stock ones are better.
+1

The stock coils work fine for our cars. I think you be wasting your money unless your stock ones are going bad. But even then, I'd replace with OEM.

***resident gun idiot***
Roguestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:31 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
[QUOTE=

On a side note, have any of you guys done your own gears in your cars? How did you manage to get under the car to work on them? Just jack it way up and put it on jack stands?

Also, for those of you who payed for your installs what did it cost you? if you don't mind me asking.[/QUOTE]

$300-$500 is the normal rate for a gear install, depends on where you live.
By the questions your asking, I recommend having it done by a professional. It will cost double to have your mistakes corrected. There's a lot more to it than just bolting the gears in. A lot of ASE mechanics don't have a clue as to how to set one up correctly, so research the shops before you choose one.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:02 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Slap some 4.10's on that beast and you will notice quite a bit of difference in how she drives...TRUST ME! Lol!

---------- Post added at 04:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:01 PM ----------

Nice looking ride BTW!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT