3v to 2v motor swap.. Yes you read that right. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-03-2013, 02:10 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
3v to 2v motor swap.. Yes you read that right.

I have been bummed out because my engine in my car has alot of miles and its pretty well falling apart.. Long story short, a very very great freind of mine has had a 2v BLOCK laying around for a while now, and hes having great luck with his 4v and he wont use it so... Hes been greatful enough to GIVE me the block itself and help with install and eveything if i want it.. and i coudnt say no. So here is the details ladies and gents.

I have a stock block 3v car that is full N/A minus a set of headers, there isnt anything that my motor hasnt found a way to tear up (ill swear to my death that it is cursed) so i want it GONE! The 2v BLOCK ONLY is used and out of a new edge car and been sitting for a while, nothing wrong with it, completely sound. However, it has no internals what so ever.. It is merely the block itself.
Questions:
How will the fitment be with the heads, motor mounts, ect. be on this.
what are the differences, if any, in the two blocks.
Has anybody ever done this? Post a link to the thread if so.
If anybody knows anybody who can be of assistance setting me straight, get them. Because I am considering this highly as an option. Thanks guys!
Graham1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2013, 02:15 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I dunno how well it'll work out. gonna be a noticeable difference in power I can say that for sure. I hated running s197s when I had my bolt on 2v.

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:23 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post
I dunno how well it'll work out. gonna be a noticeable difference in power I can say that for sure. I hated running s197s when I had my bolt on 2v.
ive read up a little on the block difference and there isnt that much.. I may be wrong but they're practicly the same block. just different internals and heads and such. My plan is to not keep it stock.. bore it, get it honed, clean it up as if it were new. Put a nice shiny set of pistons and rods, the whole deal i figure, then ill already have the bad part done if i wanna spray it or throw 12 pounds on it. Or just have a nice platform for the next owner if I decide that life has more than mustangs (but probably not).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2013, 08:13 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
If your 3V block is not damaged, why not bore it and put forged internals and rebuild it. You're starting from scratch with the 2V anyway. You're probably looking at a lot of unforeseen problems. Also if you do decide to sell, you'll take a huge hit by having the 2V engine in that model.

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:57 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I would just pull the 3v out and work with it. If your going to have to buy all internals anyway might as well be for a 3v. Just my thoughts though
dylanmullins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:32 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanmullins View Post
I would just pull the 3v out and work with it. If your going to have to buy all internals anyway might as well be for a 3v. Just my thoughts though
I second that
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:19 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Agreeing with these guys. Just build your 3v.

Follow me on instagram @nicknold for car and truck pictures
1lowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:16 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I know but I just don't feel like this block is worth two cents.. Even if i pull it and redo it, bolts have came out holding pulleys in.. The idler pulley to prevent the belt from hitting the belt tensioner arm is gone.. And bolt came out with a little piece of the block..
Old 10-03-2013, 06:20 PM   #9
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Coyote swap

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:42 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
LSX swap

2007 Ford Mustang GT 5spd
Brenspeed tune, JLT 3, Hurst shifter, 4.10s
O/R Xpipe, 15x8 Jeg Stars with Micky Thompsons
BaSohol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:21 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaSohol View Post
LSX swap
Really bro
Old 10-03-2013, 07:58 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Boss View Post

Really bro
That woukd be neat. I think it be badass to see a new 5.0 with a lsx in it.
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:12 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
That woukd be neat. I think it be badass to see a new 5.0 with a lsx in it.
I'd rather see a viper srt10 engine in it . A mechanic friend of mine put an srt-10 engine in his 1993 fox. The thing is a beast on the track! Metallic blue with a full 04 cobra interior!
Fender868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:56 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Enough with the swaps. That's a horrible idea. Bolts coming out has nothing to do with the block. I'm just saying it would make way more sense in my head to just forge the 3v. I understand you can get the other block for free but what's the use when you already have one
Old 10-03-2013, 09:02 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Get the block and sell it then build your 3v
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:05 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I wiuld get a dam good set of heads for the 3v. I liked mine when I had it but the stock heads are a big holdback
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:25 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
I wiuld get a dam good set of heads for the 3v. I liked mine when I had it but the stock heads are a big holdback
heads for these things are really expensive and the 3v block that's in mine is fine as far as the block goes. But, if this 2v block thing dies out and another opportunity comes up, then I don't need to worry about It. If the block are almost the same, no need in wasting this one when I could have this block when I take it out anyway.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:20 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to Destination S19
You're gonna be adding about 70 lbs to the front of the car since the 2V blocks were iron and not aluminum.

FRPP HotRods Cams / American Racing Headers Long Tubes with catted X / Stang-Hi dyno tune
Saleen wheels / Steeda CAI / Corsa Xtremes, K Springs, Koni STR.Ts, UMI lca relo. Brackets/r lwr ctrl arms UMI adj. panhard bar / Camber plates / SR Strut Tower Brace.
Destination S19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 02:36 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destination S19 View Post
You're gonna be adding about 70 lbs to the front of the car since the 2V blocks were iron and not aluminum.
I thought the 3v blocks were iron too? As far as I know I thought they were. But I'm gonna take my heads and just port them and build them around a customs grind cam. Then get the motor honed and bored with a low compression for a turbo. This is gonna be a hell of a build.. I've also highly considered a on 3 kit with a precision. My buddy has a 4v car with the on 3 and it's a hell if a kit. You can always expect problems when your saving money, but hopefully it should go by pretty easy if you do it right.
Old 10-04-2013, 04:24 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham1992 View Post
I thought the 3v blocks were iron too? As far as I know I thought they were. But I'm gonna take my heads and just port them and build them around a customs grind cam. Then get the motor honed and bored with a low compression for a turbo. This is gonna be a hell of a build.. I've also highly considered a on 3 kit with a precision. My buddy has a 4v car with the on 3 and it's a hell if a kit. You can always expect problems when your saving money, but hopefully it should go by pretty easy if you do it right.
Nope, they went to all aluminum for the 3V, block, heads.

FRPP HotRods Cams / American Racing Headers Long Tubes with catted X / Stang-Hi dyno tune
Saleen wheels / Steeda CAI / Corsa Xtremes, K Springs, Koni STR.Ts, UMI lca relo. Brackets/r lwr ctrl arms UMI adj. panhard bar / Camber plates / SR Strut Tower Brace.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:19 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Nope, they went to all aluminum for the 3V, block, heads.
sorry it has took so long to reply, but anyway, i don't care if it adds weight.. ill be adding power to it to make up for that weight with forced induction. the only reason i am building a 2v block is they are virtually the same outside of the motor mounts and iron block, the only thing I am keeping is the crank because you rarely hear of one breaking in those cars, i am just gonna have it turned to be virtually new, and secondly because ill have an extra 3v block when its all said and done.. Everybody is saying "well the 3v's are faster than 2v's blah blah" well that's because of the heads... the only reason its called a 3v/2v is because the heads... 3 valves per cylinder on the head of the 3v and so on.. the heads and accessories will bolt right on so itll be virtually the same block anyway. i am taking my heads off the 3v and having them ported/polished/etc. and also having a custom grind cam to work with the heads. as far as internals go, ill probably go with an H-beam rod even though I-beam are stronger, they weigh a little more and have more strength but its totally unnecessary for the horsepower needs.. and a nice set of manley pistons will do nicely and setting the compression at 8.0:1 should work nicely with high boost.. As far as "LSX sap it!!/Coyote that mother!" i do not have that kind of money.. for i am the 99% of people in the world who cannot afford it. it'll be simple and nice build for what im wanting to do.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:49 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

And then there will be that one guy that has the aluminum block with your same set up and beats you every time.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:51 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Not necessarily
Old 10-06-2013, 09:11 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

weight wont be a big issue... to an extent ofcourse. I'm not looking to break the record for the biggest horsepower/lightest weight car in the world.. I also do not want a 9000 horsepower quad turbo fire breathing machine that wont ever get beat.. i am looking for a fun street car with all the comfort and accessories of a normal car, but alot more power than your average toyota corolla.. there will always be somebody to beat me, and i know that, but i do not care. I just want a fun car.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:19 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
weight wont be a big issue... to an extent ofcourse. I'm not looking to break the record for the biggest horsepower/lightest weight car in the world.. I also do not want a 9000 horsepower quad turbo fire breathing machine that wont ever get beat.. i am looking for a fun street car with all the comfort and accessories of a normal car, but alot more power than your average toyota corolla.. there will always be somebody to beat me, and i know that, but i do not care. I just want a fun car.
Got cha. That's how I want my 05. Decent street car. My 95 on the other hand....
Old 10-06-2013, 09:42 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanmullins View Post
Got cha. That's how I want my 05. Decent street car. My 95 on the other hand....
lol i wish i had an older car to diddle with every now and then.. i have a 98 GMC jimmy that i daily drive and im completely content with that.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:59 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

lol i wish i had an older car to diddle with every now and then.. i have a 98 GMC jimmy that i daily drive and im completely content with that.
Haha yeah. I bought this car right out of high school

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20131006_215907.png
Views:	170
Size:	330.6 KB
ID:	131717
Old 10-06-2013, 10:10 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

My aunt gave my family the jimmy when she ran into inheritance money because we didnt have a good 4wd vehicle for winter, then when i got my car, my parents gave me the jimmy. nothing fancy, but gets me to work and around anywhere somewhat safely.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:57 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well you'll be adding 70lbs of sprung weight to the vehicle over the nose of it on the suspension that wasn't setup for it. It'll make a car that pushes a little push a good bit more. If you plan on doing drag racing at all, you'll be adding weight to the wrong end of the car.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:22 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well you'll be adding 70lbs of sprung weight to the vehicle over the nose of it on the suspension that wasn't setup for it. It'll make a car that pushes a little push a good bit more. If you plan on doing drag racing at all, you'll be adding weight to the wrong end of the car.
Yeah ive crunched the numbers and i mean it is bad for the car, but as far as I'm concerned it'll be okay. I do plan on making a few passes in the car to see what'll happen and all that, but i don't plan on running true street anytime soon or nothing to where it will matter. just a fun street car for the weekends and stuff.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:43 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Not sure why you posted here. Everyone has given you good advice. But you're going to do it anyway, even though it really makes no sense. Either you're a mule head or this whole thread is BS.

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:55 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Coyote swap
Coyote swap will be just as cheap as building your old 2v or 3v. A rotating assembly and a set of heads will cost you about the same as buying a motor with a warranty. And HELLO more power with mad respect from any one that sees under that hood. You could source one used even from LKQ
Krazy Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:41 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiesrok View Post
Not sure why you posted here. Everyone has given you good advice. But you're going to do it anyway, even though it really makes no sense. Either you're a mule head or this whole thread is BS.
QFT

Quote:
Yeah ive crunched the numbers and i mean it is bad for the car, but as far as I'm concerned it'll be okay. I do plan on making a few passes in the car to see what'll happen and all that, but i don't plan on running true street anytime soon or nothing to where it will matter. just a fun street car for the weekends and stuff.

I know what you mean by fun street car, but I can tell you that you're going to notice the difference and it will make the car less fun to drive. Just putting that out there.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:25 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiesrok View Post
So how about what the hell is your problem? I didn't Ask ANYBODY whether I should do it... I asked HOW! I'm tired of people like you going crazy in my threads. Screw you little turd. Leave me alone.

Quote:
QFT I know what you mean by fun street car, but I can tell you that you're going to notice the difference and it will make the car less fun to drive. Just putting that out there.
So I've heard... Well I have found a full engine that's been took out. Block, heads, everything but the motor mounts... For $850 bucks =) I'm trying to talk him out of just the block and crank. But thanks for the advice!
Old 10-08-2013, 10:17 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So how about what the hell is your problem? I didn't Ask ANYBODY whether I should do it... I asked HOW! I'm tired of people like you going crazy in my threads. Screw you little turd. Leave me alone. So I've heard... Well I have found a full engine that's been took out. Block, heads, everything but the motor mounts... For $850 bucks =) I'm trying to talk him out of just the block and crank. But thanks for the advice!
He went crazy? Looks like you're the flyer off the handle, my friend.
Wolverine0587 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT