Engine swap - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-21-2013, 06:07 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
elijah.m.b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Georgia
Posts: 25
Engine swap

So I have a 3v 06 mustang gt with a 5 speed manual, I want to swap to a 5.0, just curious has anyone done it? How hard the project is and if there are any other suggestion I'm open
elijah.m.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-21-2013, 06:16 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
ColeJohnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ketchikan, Alaska
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 2,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by elijah.m.b View Post
So I have a 3v 06 mustang gt with a 5 speed manual, I want to swap to a 5.0, just curious has anyone done it? How hard the project is and if there are any other suggestion I'm open
Is something wrong with your 3v?
__________________

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 06:22 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
elijah.m.b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Georgia
Posts: 25
No just want a 5.0
elijah.m.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-21-2013, 08:48 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
jellyroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: PA
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 92
I am interested in what you come up for the costs.

If the costs plus the value of your current GT are higher than a used 5.0 why not just move up to a newer GT? If you are just wanting a 5.0 then it might not be worth the headaches. If you are talking about building your own setup and not just wanting a 5.0 then that is a different conversation.

I know a bunch of the guys here are into personalizing their setup and you can't put a cost or value on that, but if you are not just wanting a 5.0 to have one then I would like to see what the costs of the swap comes out to.

Good luck and keep us posted with what you are finding during your research.
__________________
2008 GT/CS - {SLP Loudmouth Axle Back Exhaust- SR Strut Tower Brace - Raxiom Sequential Tail Light Kit - C&L Street CAI - Bama Tune - FRPP Lowering Springs - FRPP Rear Sway Bar - FRPP Struts & Shocks - BMR TCA032 LCAs}
jellyroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:02 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Jsansom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Texas
Region: Texas
Posts: 225
Ur not the only one who want ms to do this I've looked into it but after reason bout other guys doin this swap I wouldn't wanna do it.. Yes it would be nice but u gotta spend a lot of $$ to get it done..
Jsansom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:12 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Count Dragula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Warner Robins
Region: Georgia
Posts: 1,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by elijah.m.b View Post
So I have a 3v 06 mustang gt with a 5 speed manual, I want to swap to a 5.0, just curious has anyone done it? How hard the project is and if there are any other suggestion I'm open
Put a whipple on it.... its much cheaper and you get more horsepower.... my motor will be forged soon and I have a 3v and will have over 650 to the wheels. 3vs arent that bad once younhave boost
__________________
2007 Mustang Gt
2.3L Whipple Supercharger
Brenspeed Detroit Rocker Supercharger Cams
3.73 Gears
XXR 521 Wheels
20x8.5 and 20x10.5
Count Dragula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:26 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
ColeJohnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ketchikan, Alaska
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 2,507
Well on the plus side if you do follow through with this swap then at least you can sell a running pull-out 3v to recoup some of your costs.

I just have no idea what all is included in the swap like if the bell housing and tranny can mount to a 5.0 or what the wiring harness is going to do or if you need to swap to a different bolt pattern clutch or a custom driveshaft length.. I guess if you could find a wrecked 5.0 and pull the whole engine/tranny/harness/computer/dash then it'd be a pretty easy swap if you stay organized. Just cost some money.

But like I said I have no idea. Just guessing. I don't know much about the newer model mustangs.
__________________

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:37 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
Count Dragula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Warner Robins
Region: Georgia
Posts: 1,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeJohnson View Post
Well on the plus side if you do follow through with this swap then at least you can sell a running pull-out 3v to recoup some of your costs.

I just have no idea what all is included in the swap like if the bell housing and tranny can mount to a 5.0 or what the wiring harness is going to do or if you need to swap to a different bolt pattern clutch or a custom driveshaft length.. I guess if you could find a wrecked 5.0 and pull the whole engine/tranny/harness/computer/dash then it'd be a pretty easy swap if you stay organized. Just cost some money.

But like I said I have no idea. Just guessing. I don't know much about the newer model mustangs.
You have a lot of the same questions I have. I would love a 5.0 in mine but im not willing to fork out the money or time.
__________________
2007 Mustang Gt
2.3L Whipple Supercharger
Brenspeed Detroit Rocker Supercharger Cams
3.73 Gears
XXR 521 Wheels
20x8.5 and 20x10.5
Count Dragula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:47 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
ColeJohnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ketchikan, Alaska
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 2,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Whipple View Post
You have a lot of the same questions I have. I would love a 5.0 in mine but im not willing to fork out the money or time.
And by blowing your 3v you can make similar power if you do it right..
__________________

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:27 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
Wolfsbain76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Region: New York
Posts: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeJohnson View Post
Is something wrong with your 3v?
I'm sure nothing is wrong with what he has now, but I can understand. I like my 07 GT body style opposed to the new style that the 5.0 came out with. So, I would love to put a 5.0 in my 07 to replace that 4.6.

However, someone here mentioned the whipple being added to give it that Hmph! I'll have to look into the costs, once I figure out why my engine is sputtering and after a tune up...in the cold...driveway...wish I had my own garage
__________________
2007 Mustang GT
Wolfsbain76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:59 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
Count Dragula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Warner Robins
Region: Georgia
Posts: 1,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeJohnson View Post

And by blowing your 3v you can make similar power if you do it right..
Mine is blown and is faster than a 5.0..... haha mine pulls extremely hard when its cooler outside. Daytime I baby it big time lol but mine makes right at 475 to the wheels

---------- Post added at 08:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfsbain76 View Post

I'm sure nothing is wrong with what he has now, but I can understand. I like my 07 GT body style opposed to the new style that the 5.0 came out with. So, I would love to put a 5.0 in my 07 to replace that 4.6.

However, someone here mentioned the whipple being added to give it that Hmph! I'll have to look into the costs, once I figure out why my engine is sputtering and after a tune up...in the cold...driveway...wish I had my own garage
Whipple would be a HUGE upgrade.... my dad has a 05 gt with just exhaust and after driving mine I feel like its a v6 or worse..... it just seems stupid slow

---------- Post added at 08:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 PM ----------

Mine is at 475 rwhp and thats a huge step up from the stock 300ish
__________________
2007 Mustang Gt
2.3L Whipple Supercharger
Brenspeed Detroit Rocker Supercharger Cams
3.73 Gears
XXR 521 Wheels
20x8.5 and 20x10.5
Count Dragula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:03 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rapinator126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 9,366
Stock 3v isnt 300 though, not at the tires.
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:06 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
Count Dragula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Warner Robins
Region: Georgia
Posts: 1,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
Stock 3v isnt 300 though, not at the tires.
Here we go again. Do you not see the ish? Ive seen some go right at 275 stock and my buddy has exhaust intake and tune and he is over 300 now.
__________________
2007 Mustang Gt
2.3L Whipple Supercharger
Brenspeed Detroit Rocker Supercharger Cams
3.73 Gears
XXR 521 Wheels
20x8.5 and 20x10.5
Count Dragula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:10 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rapinator126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 9,366
[QUOTE="Black on Whipple;1837225"]

Here we go again. Do you not see the ish? Ive seen some go right at 275 stock and my buddy has exhaust intake and tune and

---------- Post added at 08:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:09 PM ----------

I was simply stating something not trying to turn it into a fight.
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 02:26 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Region: Michigan
Posts: 30
Just get a blower
black09efgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 02:30 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rapinator126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 9,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by black09efgt View Post
Just get a blower
Be alot better to swap to a coyote. Vs putting a blower on a 3v
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 05:19 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
Count Dragula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Warner Robins
Region: Georgia
Posts: 1,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post

Be alot better to swap to a coyote. Vs putting a blower on a 3v
So spend more money for less initial power. Makes sense
__________________
2007 Mustang Gt
2.3L Whipple Supercharger
Brenspeed Detroit Rocker Supercharger Cams
3.73 Gears
XXR 521 Wheels
20x8.5 and 20x10.5
Count Dragula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:57 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
Roguestang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tampa
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,516
If the OP just wants the power level, I agree with Black on Whipple. A supercharger (especially a roots style) will give you the same power level and for a ton less. Your looking at approx.10K for a coyote swap, and about half that for a decent Whipple kit (give or take a few G's). With a safe tune. You'll be pulling on stockish 5.0's.

Now if its just for the shear fact a coyote swap is something new and a hot topic nowadays and that's what you're after, then go for it. Just dont be suprised if you have more money into it than what the car could be worth. And chances are you won't get the value out of it if you ever sell it. The main fact is a blower will be your best bang for buck here. The 3V responds very well with a S/C.

And lastly if you really, really, really, Just want a coyote power plant and your not super attached to your car, but don't have 10K sitting around to start a swap, trade yours in on a new model. That for sure is the easiest way.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT-Former giggle gas addict
1990 Mustang GT w/ Vortech V3

***resident gun idiot***
Roguestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:45 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rapinator126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 9,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Whipple View Post

So spend more money for less initial power. Makes sense
And be faster than a supercharged 3v. Unless he goes forged with more boost would be the only way to keep the 3v
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 12:13 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
Wolfsbain76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Region: New York
Posts: 268
Whipple would be a HUGE upgrade.... my dad has a 05 gt with just exhaust and after driving mine I feel like its a v6 or worse..... it just seems stupid slow[COLOR="Silver"]

that's funny.
__________________
2007 Mustang GT
Wolfsbain76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 01:23 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
Count Dragula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Warner Robins
Region: Georgia
Posts: 1,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post

And be faster than a supercharged 3v. Unless he goes forged with more boost would be the only way to keep the 3v
Thats why I can pull on 5.0s and a boss. Im on 10lbs and I haven't had any mild bolt on or stock 5.0 gt beat me

---------- Post added at 02:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:21 PM ----------

Im sitting at 100 rwhp more than a 5.0 so what's the point in doing a coyote swap? 550 ho whipple kit puts out more than 450 to the wheels.
__________________
2007 Mustang Gt
2.3L Whipple Supercharger
Brenspeed Detroit Rocker Supercharger Cams
3.73 Gears
XXR 521 Wheels
20x8.5 and 20x10.5
Count Dragula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 01:31 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rapinator126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 9,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Whipple View Post

Thats why I can pull on 5.0s and a boss. Im on 10lbs and I haven't had any mild bolt on or stock 5.0 gt beat me

---------- Post added at 02:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:21 PM ----------

Im sitting at 100 rwhp more than a 5.0 so what's the point in doing a coyote swap? 550 ho whipple kit puts out more than 450 to the wheels.
I pretty sure I could take you with out the bottle. My cousin on his old setup had paxton at 10psi exhaust cams. Made 501 to tires. So im sure I could take you. Not a 100% but pretty dam sure. Without bottle im at 440 or so
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 01:39 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rapinator126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 9,366
Why dont you just go forged amd crank up the boost. My cousin is forged now with a single 76mm
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 01:43 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
Count Dragula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Warner Robins
Region: Georgia
Posts: 1,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post

I pretty sure I could take you with out the bottle. My cousin on his old setup had paxton at 10psi exhaust cams. Made 501 to tires. So im sure I could take you. Not a 100% but pretty dam sure. Without bottle im at 440 or so
So without bottle your at 440 and im at 475 and my car is lighter. My math must not be adding up. This isnt going to turn into a pissing contest because we wont ever race but on a foot brake and stock convertor I went 11.7 at 124 but if you think you can go right ahead I wont stop you

---------- Post added at 02:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:43 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
Why dont you just go forged amd crank up the boost. My cousin is forged now with a single 76mm
I am after january. But im keeping the whipple but going to up the boost to about 19 or so. Should be over 600 then
__________________
2007 Mustang Gt
2.3L Whipple Supercharger
Brenspeed Detroit Rocker Supercharger Cams
3.73 Gears
XXR 521 Wheels
20x8.5 and 20x10.5
Count Dragula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:39 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular
 
GaMuscle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Virginia
Posts: 81
I was thinking about doing the same swap after i put a whole in my block, but after i totaled up the cost for the engine, transmission, heads, and looking for a shop willing to do the swap, it was just easier to go with a custom 3v engine
GaMuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:57 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
Invision27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Saint Augustine
Region: Florida
Posts: 117
You can use your 5 speed transmission it will bolt right up its the same pattern. The only thing you havr to get is the 5.0 motor, ford racing control pack which comes with every thing yiu need to wire up. If you grt a new 5.0 motor and does not come with the alternator then all you need yi buy is a alternator kit which 226.00 and that comes with bracket pulleys belt and alternator. Then the last thing yiu need is a after market power steering kit whutch will allow yiu ti have ac still for around 1100 bucks. So yiu can do it easily but like everyonr says the cost is about 9 grand to do. My plans are to put this in my in like 6 to 8 months diwn the road with procharger.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Invision27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:01 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular
 
stemar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: York PA
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 211
I don't get it you would think Ford built in some kind of VODO black majic into the new 5.0 it has 2 advantage's over the 4.6
1) and the biggest advantage is it's a 5.0 no big deal you can build a forged 4.6 short block into a 5.0 or larger what about a Brenspeed 326 that's a 5.3L for 1/2 the cost of a swap
2) the quad cam heads yes they flow better then stock 3v heads but you can get ported 3v heads and take away that advantage also
Yes the new 5.0 is a great motor but I don't think it is worth swapping my 4.6 for but that's just my 2 cent's
__________________

Pypes shorties, BBK catted X, Flowmaster Pro's, K&N CAI, FRPP- P springs, Steeda UCA, J&M Panhard bar, Hurst Comp plus, FR500 Wheels W/NITTO's , SCT SF3 W/BAMA 93 Race tune, Pioneer TS-D6802R speakers, chin spoiler, Eleanor style grill, GT500 rear spoiler
stemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 11:27 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular
 
White03GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Hereford
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by stemar View Post
I don't get it you would think Ford built in some kind of VODO black majic into the new 5.0 it has 2 advantage's over the 4.6
1) and the biggest advantage is it's a 5.0 no big deal you can build a forged 4.6 short block into a 5.0 or larger what about a Brenspeed 326 that's a 5.3L for 1/2 the cost of a swap
2) the quad cam heads yes they flow better then stock 3v heads but you can get ported 3v heads and take away that advantage also
Yes the new 5.0 is a great motor but I don't think it is worth swapping my 4.6 for but that's just my 2 cent's

Hmm, to each his own i suppose. I'm getting ready to do a yote 5.0 swap to my 03
White03GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



08:47 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.