Sputtering... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-23-2013, 09:28 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Sputtering...

Gents,

I have an issue that I am at a loss of figuring out.

Problem: Going at a moderate speed, when I let go of the gas for a second and then give it gas to pass/overtake someone, the car starts to sputter for several seconds. Just to get it to stop sputtering and get the power that I need, I floor the pedal. Any ideas?

2nd Problem: I put in a BBK thorttle body, since then, my idle will get stuck open and I have to press on the brake l lot more just to get the car to stop, all the while the engine is still racing. I'm thinking of going back to the factory trottle body since I've been told by Mustang Magic that it does nothing, that the factory does the same as the after marked throttle bodies.

Thoughts??
Thank you in advance!
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2013, 10:52 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfsbain76 View Post
Gents,

Problem: Going at a moderate speed, when I let go of the gas for a second and then give it gas to pass/overtake someone, the car starts to sputter for several seconds. Just to get it to stop sputtering and get the power that I need, I floor the pedal. Any ideas?

2nd Problem: I put in a BBK thorttle body, since then, my idle will get stuck open and I have to press on the brake l lot more just to get the car to stop, all the while the engine is still racing. I'm thinking of going back to the factory trottle body since I've been told by Mustang Magic that it does nothing, that the factory does the same as the after marked throttle bodies.

Thoughts??
Thank you in advance!
Its hard to tell you whats happening without seeing a computer. It could be fuel related, ignition related, or worst case a bad ecu... my buddy had a bad ecu that kept sputtering at certain rpms. Do you have any codes?
3.73 Gears
XXR 521 Wheels
20x8.5 and 20x10.5
Count Dragula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:06 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Check your vacumm lines an if you havent changed your fuel filter in a while it wouldnt hurt to swap it out
Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2013, 07:17 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Whipple View Post
Its hard to tell you whats happening without seeing a computer. It could be fuel related, ignition related, or worst case a bad ecu... my buddy had a bad ecu that kept sputtering at certain rpms. Do you have any codes?
No codes are popping up, thankfully! I'm going to give it a full tune up and see if that helps.

---------- Post added at 08:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:15 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
Check your vacumm lines an if you havent changed your fuel filter in a while it wouldnt hurt to swap it out
Will be doing that, the car has 77k and hasn't had a tune up yet. So, I'll be doing a full tune up. It's very annoying trying to overtake someone but can't because it sputters before finally deciding to go.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:59 PM   #5
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfsbain76 View Post
Gents,

Thoughts??
Thank you in advance!
Is your car tuned for the your current mods? If not, I can definitely see the throttle body giving you mods. This could cause a wacky idle, it could get stuck open, it could even cause the car to sputter! If the car is tuned, I would recommend shooting a datalog over to your tuner and have them make some adjustments. They should be able to pin point the issues pretty quickly!

Also, I see you're looking into doing a tune up. That's definitely a good back up plan. With almost 80k it's definitely time for a full tune up, spark plugs, wires, fuel filter etc..

With these two things, you should be in pretty good shape. If not, we can continue to help you troubleshoot. Just let me know and I'll be happy to try and point you in the right direction!

-Dan
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 12:20 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDanBailer View Post
Is your car tuned for the your current mods? If not, I can definitely see the throttle body giving you mods. This could cause a wacky idle, it could get stuck open, it could even cause the car to sputter! If the car is tuned, I would recommend shooting a datalog over to your tuner and have them make some adjustments. They should be able to pin point the issues pretty quickly!

Also, I see you're looking into doing a tune up. That's definitely a good back up plan. With almost 80k it's definitely time for a full tune up, spark plugs, wires, fuel filter etc..

With these two things, you should be in pretty good shape. If not, we can continue to help you troubleshoot. Just let me know and I'll be happy to try and point you in the right direction!

-Dan
You are right about the wacky idle and the idle sticking open. As for datalogging, do you mean hooking up my SCT Tuner to it while in Idle?
Old 10-28-2013, 06:53 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Assuming it is not the tune or lack thereof:

Clean the TB with some good TB cleaner. I mean really clean it.
Take it apart and use some clean rags and spray, soak and scrub that sucker.
Clean and oil air filter or replace. Replace fuel filter as needed.

A can of Seafoam in the tank next and don't buy crappy fuel.
I have used Chevron (and now Texaco) only with Techron for close to 30 years and have NEVER had a fuel system problem in any vehicle. That and Seafoam go in all my cars, trucks, golf cart, mower, tractor and RV.
nunjabusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:40 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
if u have open air box if u let off the gas then air can get forced into your filter and hit the MAF and cause the car to 'shutter' really at any speed worse on the high way tho.. make sure your maf if clean too.... as far as throttle body i was told by local dyno shop that i trust to not use aftermarket throttle bodys if your going to do it get ford throttle bodys! but they arnt cheap not worth the 600ish dollars for cobra jet one for 15hp at the most... lot more mods that are cheaper
Blown05 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT