Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Modification Affects On An Extended Warranty

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  98mustang_gt 
#1 ·
I just purchased a 2009 GT/CS and opted for the Premium Care extended warranty at the time of purchase. I'm no different than any of us and I'd like to increase HP and fuel mileage so I'm considering a CAI unit, tuner and exhaust modification.

I checked with the dealer yesterday and I was informed that any modification that I make to the car, even if I use a Ford Racing CAI & tuner and Ford exhaust parts the Premiun Care warranty would become void. This holds true even if the parts are installed at a Ford dealership.

I checked the information I have on the Premiun Care Warranty and couldn't find any mention of what actions would make the warranty become void.

Has anyone ever confronted this situation?

Thanks in advance, bob1726:banghead:

#2 ·
Warranties are a bad idea for anyone wanting to modify their Mustang. Any mods void the warranty because many have the potential to cause issues, and if the warranty covered them, they could go broke fixing other people's mistakes, rather than actual flaws with the vehicle.

Not a lot you can do if you signed the contracts, and they made it clear that mods would void the warranty. And, they mean it, too. The bottom line is you'll have to flip a coin, and decide whether the mods you want to do are worth the cost of a repair should something break.

My personal opinion is that, since you have a warranty, short of actual engine mods, a CAI is not worth voiding your warranty. The gains and efficiency are not substantial, and most would require a new tune, and could require 93 octane fuel. So you spend a lot more on fuel, but use slightly less. With debatable results.

Wait a while for your mods.

#3 ·
If you are planning on modding your car then you can go back to the dealership and cancel the warranty. If you want I play it safe and rely on the warranty then don't touch your until the warranty expires or you hit the agreed mile mark. Depending on how the dealership works then the warranty company will send you a check or they will apply the remaining balance to the principle of the loan.

#4 ·
98mustang_gt said:
If you are planning on modding your car then you can go back to the dealership and cancel the warranty. If you want I play it safe and rely on the warranty then don't touch your until the warranty expires or you hit the agreed mile mark. Depending on how the dealership works then the warranty company will send you a check or they will apply the remaining balance to the principle of the loan.
Yupp. You can get a prorated refund on the warranty. More mod money.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.