Hood pins help - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-30-2013, 09:31 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Hood pins help

Well I finally decided to tackle the hood pins installation myself, hope I do it right 😁. I have the Shelby aluminum hood pins from AM. It's basically strait forward installation especially since it includes brackets for the pins.
My concerns are what type of drill bit should I use to drill the 5/8 of an inch that I need...
I want to use the right tools since it's a fiberglass hood and don't want it to crack. I saw one video where it shows to drill in reverse to prevent cracking.

Any advice or special tools to use while drilling the holes on my hood... I tried looking for videos and cj ponys has one really good but it's on an aluminum hood, could not find a video with a fiberglass hood.
Any picture of the tool to use will be very useful too

Thank you
Jayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2013, 10:07 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Use masking tape over the paint to prevent splintering of paint.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:09 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayjay View Post
Well I finally decided to tackle the hood pins installation myself, hope I do it right dde01. I have the Shelby aluminum hood pins from AM. It's basically strait forward installation especially since it includes brackets for the pins. My concerns are what type of drill bit should I use to drill the 5/8 of an inch that I need... I want to use the right tools since it's a fiberglass hood and don't want it to crack. I saw one video where it shows to drill in reverse to prevent cracking. Any advice or special tools to use while drilling the holes on my hood... I tried looking for videos and cj ponys has one really good but it's on an aluminum hood, could not find a video with a fiberglass hood. Any picture of the tool to use will be very useful too Thank you
Not sure about special tools. I would get brand new sharp drill bits. I would sprung punch the marks and drill small bit first and work up to 5/8 with a few different sizes. Reversing the drill won't do much. If you use very little pressure and let the drill bit do the work, you should be good. Dull bits and excessive force will crack it for sure. Take your time to measure three times and take your sweet time drilling. It's only two holes. Make sure your angles are right.

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2013, 10:20 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiesrok View Post
Not sure about special tools. I would get brand new sharp drill bits. I would sprung punch the marks and drill small bit first and work up to 5/8 with a few different sizes. Reversing the drill won't do much. If you use very little pressure and let the drill bit do the work, you should be good. Dull bits and excessive force will crack it for sure. Take your time to measure three times and take your sweet time drilling. It's only two holes. Make sure your angles are right.
I agree with this poster. Lay out your holes precisely, find the absolute dead-center, and drill a tiny pilot hole. Sharp bits, with very little pressure. Let the bits do the cutting, and work up to your final size. Sacrificing a virgin while fasting and praying couldn't hurt, either. You're a braver man than I.
Fader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:57 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks a lot guys, I'll be visiting Home Depot soon and look for some nice sharp bits.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:04 PM   #6
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Will you be mounting the pins in the same holes that currently hold the hood bumpers? That way they will already be in the right spots.
2002 Black/Red GT (Ginger)
2011 Red Candy Metallic V6 (Manfred)
2016 Magnetic Metallic GT (Susie II)
bigmac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:29 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

No, they come with brackets that are place with the radiator support. Unscrew the bolts place the brackets and put back the bolts... It's really easy the difficult part will be not cracking the hood when drilling
Pic attach of of the brackets and location
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3092674870.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	248.0 KB
ID:	134610  
Old 10-31-2013, 12:33 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

It's just about 2 in away from them
Old 10-31-2013, 12:53 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Which drill bit should I use. If I choose the one size bit I would start with smaller hole and move up size until I reach desire size and the one bit will just keep drilling until desire hole has been reach.
Which one you think will be a better portion for a fiberglass hood
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-932742662.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	134612   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1246020795.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	158.4 KB
ID:	134613  

Old 10-31-2013, 01:13 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Here another pic of how the pin should look with the brackets
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1174590498.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	240.0 KB
ID:	134614  
Old 10-31-2013, 08:33 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Which drill bit should I use. If I choose the one size bit I would start with smaller hole and move up size until I reach desire size and the one bit will just keep drilling until desire hole has been reach. Which one you think will be a better portion for a fiberglass hood
Use the standard bits. The step drill will hog through it easier, but it's very easy to drill it too large or the top of the hole is larger than the bottom because you went too far. It's not a precise drill bit. Plus when you start with smaller holes you can lower the hood and see it lining up with the pins.

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:58 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Well I finally decided to tackle the hood pins installation myself, hope I do it right ?de01. I have the Shelby aluminum hood pins from AM. It's basically strait forward installation especially since it includes brackets for the pins.
My concerns are what type of drill bit should I use to drill the 5/8 of an inch that I need...
I want to use the right tools since it's a fiberglass hood and don't want it to crack. I saw one video where it shows to drill in reverse to prevent cracking.

Any advice or special tools to use while drilling the holes on my hood... I tried looking for videos and cj ponys has one really good but it's on an aluminum hood, could not find a video with a fiberglass hood.
Any picture of the tool to use will be very useful too

Thank you
Use a step drill or you will make a mess of your hood.
randy5128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:55 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by randy5128 View Post

Use a step drill or you will make a mess of your hood.
Just remember, don't force the drill. You'll be surprised How quickly it cuts through fiberglass. Use a light touch.
Fader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:07 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I used small bit i have the same pins on my fiber glass hood as welll but after i made the whole about 1/8 inch or so i started using a dremel to avoid crqcking the paint even with masking tape it was hard avoiding cracking it with drill bits for me at least
Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 04:59 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks guys very useful information and advise
Old 10-31-2013, 05:03 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Which drill bit should I use. If I choose the one size bit I would start with smaller hole and move up size until I reach desire size and the one bit will just keep drilling until desire hole has been reach.
Which one you think will be a better portion for a fiberglass hood
I would use the step drill to be safe.
randy5128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:01 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
i have just plain hood pins not sure which kit think its summit, but let me know how those work out cause my sqeak when driving down the road cause fiber glass hood flexes going down the road
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2639.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	135207  
Blown05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:51 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiesrok View Post
Not sure I would use a punch on fiberglass, I'm sure you would crack the paint. Masking tape is always a good idea when dealing with painted things. No need to start with a smaller bit, fiberglass drills quite easily. It also chips really easily. When you start a bigger bit in a smaller hole you risk it chipping.
If you are really careful use the progressive bit. It is designed for things like this. However like stated earlier, you can go to far pretty easily.
If it were me I would just go with the masking tape and a good sharp 5/8 bit. Use a drill with a bubble level on the back if you can to drill the holes straight.
Skulls98GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:12 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia

good video, explains it all
Blown05 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT