Need Help Removing Heads - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-02-2013, 12:15 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Need Help Removing Heads

Need people to chime in to tell me how to safely remove heads on these ohc engines. Done many pushrod engines hut not these!
08mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2013, 09:50 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08mustanggt View Post
Need people to chime in to tell me how to safely remove heads on these ohc engines. Done many pushrod engines hut not these!
Try this site.... Looks to be Fords Service Manuals

Ford Service Manuals - DISASSEMBLY
randy5128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:01 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by randy5128 View Post
Try this site.... Looks to be Fords Service Manuals

Ford Service Manuals - DISASSEMBLY
every single time i go to that link, it has a donate to paypal ad and wont show anything!
Graham1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2013, 09:42 AM   #4

Region: Georgia
Did you click on the engine link to the left? Also it works better on a computer. It doesn't work good on iPad or phone FYI Hope this helps
Topless fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:16 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless fun View Post
Did you click on the engine link to the left? Also it works better on a computer. It doesn't work good on iPad or phone FYI Hope this helps
do you know if that's for the entire engine? I can only see so far on my phone.. Does it tell how to remove the timing chain and cams and such. I've hit a brick wall on what I'll need to take the timing chain and heads off..
Old 11-10-2013, 11:50 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham1992 View Post
do you know if that's for the entire engine? I can only see so far on my phone.. Does it tell how to remove the timing chain and cams and such. I've hit a brick wall on what I'll need to take the timing chain and heads off..
To remove the timing chains and cams you just have to remove the VCT sprocket from the cam and the chain is off the cam. Then you can remove the cam. I think you have to remove the timing cover for head removal. I also believe it's a real beast to re-install the timing chains correctly. You should get a chiton manual for this job. It's very involved. You also need new cam sprocket bolts since they are a stretch install and ruined after removal.

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:23 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiesrok View Post
To remove the timing chains and cams you just have to remove the VCT sprocket from the cam and the chain is off the cam. Then you can remove the cam. I think you have to remove the timing cover for head removal. I also believe it's a real beast to re-install the timing chains correctly. You should get a chiton manual for this job. It's very involved. You also need new cam sprocket bolts since they are a stretch install and ruined after removal.
Thanks man, I'm only tearing it apart to take it to the machine shop to save money, ill have them do the putting back together for sure. There are alot of "one time" bolts and things that I am unfamiliar with.. And yes the chain def. has to come off, I'm not sure what to start with.
Old 11-11-2013, 12:56 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Wow nevermind i finally got it to work, that is SO greatly helpful. But surely to god O'Reily's will let me borrow those "special tools"..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT