Rear End Clunk From 4th to 5th - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-07-2013, 08:19 AM   #1

Region: Ohio
Rear End Clunk From 4th to 5th

Hi all,

As the title states, im getting an unusual clunk when i shift from 4th to 5th on my manual 07 GT. I'm completely new to mustangs and picked up this car a month ago. I have read some people stating that it could be a U joint issue but that problem seems to be only prevalent for people when starting off. My issue is when shifting from 4th to 5th, at generally any RPM, i get a nasty sounding clunk. Initially i thought it could be just how im slipping the clutch or slack in the transmission. I tried slipping the clutch different ways, faster slower, more rpms, less rpms, and still about 7/10 times i get that sound. If i really, really focus on matching everything perfectly when i shift, its a little less prevalent but generally the sound is always there.

Could someone tell me what im up agains? Is it a U joint issue? Messed up rear differential? Is this just a normal sound or is it just because im not shifting right into that gear? I hate driving with people in the car at anything faster than 40mph because i know that when i shift, i will likely get that awful sound.
LandShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2013, 08:54 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I see this being a tranny issue instead. Is it during the shift or after?

Follow me on instagram @nicknold for car and truck pictures
1lowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:01 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lowGT View Post
After the shift as i let my clutch out right as the clutch engages. Its not from the transmission either, the sound is definitely from the rear end. It only happened twice this morning but I doubt that the problem has miraculously disappeared or lessened in severity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2013, 09:03 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Get your rear end checked lol

Follow me on instagram @nicknold for car and truck pictures
1lowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:09 AM   #5

Im going to jack it up this weekend and take a look. Do you think that its an issue internally or its a joint, bearing, or bushing issue? I wasnt going to switch out my rear end gears till next spring but if you think something is completely wrong internally, i will probably just do that now.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:33 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Try letting off your clutch a little slower
Old 11-08-2013, 09:46 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lowGT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2300turboford View Post
Try letting off your clutch a little slower

I did what you suggested. When i let it off super slow there is little to no noise at all. I'm thinking I have some slack in the rear end/drive shaft or the transmission in 5th gear. With there being so little resistance in 5th gear, it seems like a very real possibility. I know how to diagnose that issue after reading around on the forum and will check it sunday. How would i go about fixing the issue if that is indeed the problem?
Old 11-08-2013, 06:45 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
I have had the same clunking in my 08 GT but in other gears as well mostly at slower speeds. My car drives fine and have had no issues with slippage or stick popping out of gear or any impact to drivability. It is my DD and I drive to and from NYC 3-4 days a week in mucho traffic.
cmegnin1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT