Exhaust Cracking?Popping Sound??? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-08-2013, 12:21 PM   #1

Region: New Jersey
Exhaust Cracking?Popping Sound???

Hi guys,

First, I am fairly new to my car. It is my first big boy purchase and I couldn't be happier. I have been driving it like an old lady lately though and decided I'd finally get on it a little bit to see what it has.

The car starts fine, idles fine, cruises fine, revs fine, and all around it seems to be healthy. My problem is that earlier when I decided to "see what it had" I would mash the gas pedal and for a moment (a second or two it seemed) the car would snap, crackle, and pop... like a V8 though, not a Rice Crispee. This noise did not sound loud like a backfire, and after that two to three second period the car would haul *** and move and sound like it is supposed to. Do you have any idea what the problem could be? If at all?

The car does have SLP exhaust, a Roush M90, and it's tuned... so I figured it would maybe run a tad rich but I am not sure which is why I'm on here. Just curious as I don't want to damage my car. Thanks.
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2013, 12:27 PM   #2

Also, I know I've seen threads like this before, but most are either vague or not very specific on the matter.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:48 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSleeper View Post
Also, I know I've seen threads like this before, but most are either vague or not very specific on the matter.
Its just back pressure from the exhaust! If you want to get rid of it, you need cats, resonators or a different, free flowing exhaust!
08mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2013, 01:24 PM   #4

Okay thank you, I was definitely worried for a little bit there. Is this common with the SLP exhaust? Or is it due to the set-up I have with the exhaust?
Old 11-08-2013, 01:25 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Okay thank you, I was definitely worried for a little bit there. Is this common with the SLP exhaust? Or is it due to the set-up I have with the exhaust?
Slp is commonly known for a loud, poppy, crackling exhaust.
08mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 01:28 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08mustanggt View Post
Slp is commonly known for a loud, poppy, crackling exhaust.
+1
Old 11-08-2013, 01:59 PM   #7
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Congrats on picking up your GT. It's about time you decided to see what it has in it and spin up that M90!

Low back-pressure is fairly common with catless SLP exhaust. They tend to crackle and pop a lot, especially during deceleration. There's two easy ways to fix or improve this though. First, you can add high-flow catalytic converters to the mid-pipe to increase back pressure. Secondly you can switch the mufflers out for a 2 chambered muffler opposed to a bullet style like the SLP's. Either option will help drastically.

Don't worry about the crackling in the meantime. It's not harming anything, so feel free to enjoy the car for what it was designed for!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Tags
exhaust