Forced Induction questions - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-11-2013, 09:26 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Forced Induction questions

I'm trying to plan out a forced induction set-up that will be early spring and Into the summer. I have time to piece together something which is really what I would like to do. Or buying half of something used and piecing that together. Any ideas or tips for what I need to do or a list of what I would need to get?
2006 Mustang GT Premium Satin Silver Metallic | 5 Speed Manual | Hurst Short Shifter | K&N CAI | JSR Strut Brace, FLCA Brace, Rear Shock Tower Brace | Flowmaster Axle Backs | Ford K Springs | JM Trackbar | 93 Bama Performance Tune

BeachMonkey100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2013, 11:15 PM   #2
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
What type of FI are you looking for? Supercharger, Turbo or Nitrous? Then we can narrow it down from there.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 06:14 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
What type of FI are you looking for? Supercharger, Turbo or Nitrous? Then we can narrow it down from there.
Well I was planning on doing a plate kit for nitros, but not sure if I want to go that route. doesn't matter turbo or supercharger, it would be somewhat of a budget build.
2006 Mustang GT Premium Satin Silver Metallic | 5 Speed Manual | Hurst Short Shifter | K&N CAI | JSR Strut Brace, FLCA Brace, Rear Shock Tower Brace | Flowmaster Axle Backs | Ford K Springs | JM Trackbar | 93 Bama Performance Tune

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2013, 07:13 AM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Tennessee
Define budget build please lol. It's all dependent on that one small word: budget.
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Ubnbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 07:18 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubnbit View Post
Define budget build please lol. It's all dependent on that one small word: budget.
Somewhere between $2000-2500. I'm really looking to piece together something. I know it takes time and trust me I have plenty of time I just don't know where to start or look

Old 11-12-2013, 07:28 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
2000-2500 looks like nitrous will be your friend. That will get you setup with a good basic kit
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 07:31 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
2000-2500 looks like nitrous will be your friend. That will get you setup with a good basic kit
I have a plate kit already, cost me 450 new from a friend without the bottle. where are you getting 2000-2500?

Old 11-12-2013, 07:35 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachMonkey100 View Post

I have a plate kit already, cost me 450 new from a friend without the bottle. where are you getting 2000-2500?
I have over 4k in my nitrous setup. Depending on how you do it and options you go with it gets expensive
Old 11-12-2013, 07:39 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I have over 4k in my nitrous setup. Depending on how you do it and options you go with it gets expensive
well if I had 4k I surely wouldn't spend it all on a nitrous set up. what is your set-up?

Old 11-12-2013, 07:41 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Vortech kit.
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 07:44 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

well if I had 4k I surely wouldn't spend it all on a nitrous set up. what is your set-up?
A bunch of stuff. Fuel system/ progressive controller/ window switch / upgraded lines/ fittings / nozzles / bigger bottle/ purge kit/ bottle warmer/ opener/ plus the original kit. And some other stuff. I spray a little more than most people do

---------- Post added at 08:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 AM ----------

You may beable to piece together a used vortech/ paxton kit for your budget
Old 11-12-2013, 07:47 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightBlueGT View Post
Vortech kit.
Well anyone know where I need to start? This is what I was thinking.

---------- Post added at 08:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:46 AM ----------

Quote:
A bunch of stuff. Fuel system/ progressive controller/ window switch / upgraded lines/ fittings / nozzles / bigger bottle/ purge kit/ bottle warmer/ opener/ plus the original kit. And some other stuff. I spray a little more than most people do ---------- Post added at 08:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 AM ---------- You may beable to piece together a used vortech/ paxton kit for your budget
Nice, how much exactly?

Yeah that's what I'm trying to do. Just don't know what I need or where to start.

Old 11-12-2013, 07:50 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

---------- Post added at 08:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:48 AM ----------

Start looking on Craigslist / ebay

---------- Post added at 08:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:49 AM ----------

You can also get the on3 turbo kit for your 3v for that budget
Old 11-12-2013, 07:51 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
300 ---------- Post added at 08:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:48 AM ---------- Start looking on Craigslist / ebay
Pretty sweet deal.

Yeah that's what I figured, but I need at least a list of what I need, the major components for now.

Old 11-12-2013, 07:54 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Pretty sweet deal.

Yeah that's what I figured, but I need at least a list of what I need, the major components for now.
If you go with the on3 kit its complete. For a centi blower. You will need the head unit
Intercooler
Piping
Injectors
Boost a pump
Old 11-12-2013, 07:58 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

If its a v2 or v1 you'll need oil line assembly too
Old 11-12-2013, 08:05 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Those are the major things that were mentioned to you. Go check out vortechs website. They have a complete parts list on there. All the little fittings and crap that you will also need.

---------- Post added at 09:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:01 AM ----------

Just like midnight said. Depending on tje head unit you choose will determine if you need the oil lines. If you go with the v3 it is self contained
Old 11-12-2013, 08:05 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks guys, this is the sort of info I needed. now if I go with the on3 kit would I need a new maf?

Old 11-12-2013, 08:06 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

When pushing more air flow its best to upgrade it but usually lower boost it holds up, but if it were me id upgrade it. Which im doing when I boost.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:07 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks guys, this is the sort of info I needed. now if I go with the on3 kit would I need a new maf?

Depends on what power your going for. More than likely yes you will. Back when I had my 3v it was at 430 at the tires with the stock MAF. Anything over 450 I would say yes
Old 11-12-2013, 08:08 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
When pushing more air flow its best to upgrade it but usually lower boost it holds up, but if it were me id upgrade it. Which im doing when I boost.
Well I'm not trying to make world record power, I am still on stock internals. was thinking about 5-6 pounds of boost. I'm sure I could get away with it though for the time being once I did it.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:09 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Well I'm not trying to make world record power, I am still on stock internals. was thinking about 5-6 pounds of boost. I'm sure I could get away with it though for the time being once I did it.
Yes 5-6lbs you will be fine with the stock one
Old 11-12-2013, 08:13 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yes 5-6lbs you will be fine with the stock one
Until I decide to forge the internals I will stay around there lol. I don't want to see a rod go through the block.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:27 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

For a safe daily drive you will want some fuel upgrades too. Should be fine with just a bap if you arent making high numbers but just to be safe. And intercooled is also safer but more expensive but you should be good on 5-6lbs with a good tune.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:36 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
For a safe daily drive you will want some fuel upgrades too. Should be fine with just a bap if you arent making high numbers but just to be safe. And intercooled is also safer but more expensive but you should be good on 5-6lbs with a good tune.
That's exactly what I was thinking. I believe my mind is made, time to save a little more haha. come tax season I'll be in glory.

Old 11-13-2013, 05:26 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
I am running a roushcharger with 8lbs of boost and had to upgrade my MAF. Putting 430ish to the wheels.
DtrMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 05:44 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtrMustang View Post
I am running a roushcharger with 8lbs of boost and had to upgrade my MAF. Putting 430ish to the wheels.
I didnt have to on my old 3v
Old 11-21-2013, 12:23 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Vortech kit.
With a Vortech can you change the pulley to change boost pressure? Is there a link someone could provide to show the comparisons between pulley size and amount of boost you would get if thats how its done?
Thenervemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 09:44 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenervemann View Post
With a Vortech can you change the pulley to change boost pressure? Is there a link someone could provide to show the comparisons between pulley size and amount of boost you would get if thats how its done?
Yes you can, I found this on corral a while back:

You will need to do the following to swap pulleys:

1. Loosen the belt
2. Remove the inlet tube to the supercharger
3. Remove the discharge tube to the supercharger
4. Remove the entire supercharger mounting bracket
5. Remove the pulley bolt on the supercharger with an impact gun
6. Remove the pulley with a 3 prong pulley puller
7. Keep track of the keyway key
8. Put keyway key into slot and position new pulley over shaft
9. Pound pulley onto shaft with a rubber mallet
10. Put bolt and washer into the shaft and tighten down with impact gun again.
11. Reassemble in reverse order

Here is a chart straight from Vortech, click on the certain one you want/have and boom!

Vortech Supercharger Comparison Chart | Vortech Superchargers

Old 11-22-2013, 10:35 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yes you can, I found this on corral a while back:

You will need to do the following to swap pulleys:

1. Loosen the belt
2. Remove the inlet tube to the supercharger
3. Remove the discharge tube to the supercharger
4. Remove the entire supercharger mounting bracket
5. Remove the pulley bolt on the supercharger with an impact gun
6. Remove the pulley with a 3 prong pulley puller
7. Keep track of the keyway key
8. Put keyway key into slot and position new pulley over shaft
9. Pound pulley onto shaft with a rubber mallet
10. Put bolt and washer into the shaft and tighten down with impact gun again.
11. Reassemble in reverse order

Here is a chart straight from Vortech, click on the certain one you want/have and boom!

Vortech Supercharger Comparison Chart | Vortech Superchargers
Ha thanks, I want to boost my stock mustang gt (03) with 6 psi to be safe for now. then if i do get forged stuff or block i can change it for more. I really couldn't find a nice solid answer.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:36 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ha thanks, I want to boost my stock mustang gt (03) with 6 psi to be safe for now. then if i do get forged stuff or block i can change it for more. I really couldn't find a nice solid answer.
that's my route come tax season man.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:40 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
that's my route come tax season man.
do you know where i could get the pulleys for one? i really dont see a pulley to psi boost for any chargers on the site
Old 11-22-2013, 10:46 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
do you know where i could get the pulleys for one? i really dont see a pulley to psi boost for any chargers on the site
I do not, I haven't looked into it that much

Old 11-22-2013, 11:37 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I do not, I haven't looked into it that much
Hmm ok if you do, let me know please. just post here if you remember ha. im subscribed.
Old 11-24-2013, 03:51 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:

I have a few vortech pullies in a box somewhere around here, would let them go for 1/2 price if needed
and and and I DRIVE IT LIKE I STOLE IT !!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K_QJ...ure=plcp<br />http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWfvYVYlfio&feature=plcp
Sirtat is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT