Exhaust rattle/front end noise - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-20-2013, 08:49 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Exhaust rattle/front end noise

1)it only happens on cold starts when I hear this rattling sound.idk where its coming from.i know it can't the clamps since i welded it since my ab.it goes away once its warmed up.
2)everytine I hit a bump of any kind or any abnormal small condition in the road i can hear like theres something loose or hitting something from in the cabin.its not loud loud but it is noticeable.

Can someone share some insight on this
Torchred2010gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2013, 07:38 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

I bottomed out my car once and shoved my midpipe up. It rattled on start up and went away once warm.
I found out that my exhaust hanger that goes to the trans mount bent and was rubbing on my mount.
What I did was take it to an exhaust shop and have them make new hangers that brought my midpipe down about 3/4 of an inch.
Never had the problem since.
S197Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 08:10 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by S197Miller View Post
I bottomed out my car once and shoved my midpipe up. It rattled on start up and went away once warm.
I found out that my exhaust hanger that goes to the trans mount bent and was rubbing on my mount.
What I did was take it to an exhaust shop and have them make new hangers that brought my midpipe down about 3/4 of an inch.
Never had the problem since.
Everything I have is stock except the pype bombs axle back.i guess ill have to check the hanger if it might be that but shouldn't move at all since is welded at the clamps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2013, 11:05 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torchred2010gt View Post
Everything I have is stock except the pype bombs axle back.i guess ill have to check the hanger if it might be that but shouldn't move at all since is welded at the clamps

I have the same problem!!!! it doesnt rattle very often but I hear like if there was a loose screw rumbling around inside my dash its on the passenger side sounds like its coming from the vent area there, is that where you hear it?
skl1cent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 11:15 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by skl1cent View Post
I have the same problem!!!! it doesnt rattle very often but I hear like if there was a loose screw rumbling around inside my dash its on the passenger side sounds like its coming from the vent area there, is that where you hear it?
Idk still trying pin point it sometimes it sounds like it coming from the front but then by the driver side and sometimes it towards the end.but it only happends on cold starts once warm its gone.and I'm still trying to find out what the noise is when i go over a bump.just don't like how it is sounds.hooefully someone more ppl can chime in so I can get it fixed.ill be goin to the mechanic later this week but would like to know if anyone has been through this
Old 12-25-2013, 02:43 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

The bump is more then likely a ball joint. Pretty common.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
dylanmullins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 06:17 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanmullins View Post
The bump is more then likely a ball joint. Pretty common.

Is this an easy fix?could there possibly be anything else causing this noise?either ill get it checked and hoepfully its nothing major cause this bump noise
Old 12-25-2013, 10:45 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Thats really common on this car. I have one and my wife. And they both did it because of ball joints.

dylanmullins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 07:02 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanmullins View Post
Thats really common on this car. I have one and my wife. And they both did it because of ball joints.

Ok cool.hopefully it's not too expensive to get replaced
Old 04-23-2014, 08:11 AM   #10

Region: Connecticut
Exhaust Rattle possible cause

I came looking for problem in my front end (likely trays or ball joints and I am not sure how to diagnose) but saw this thread about buzzing/rattling in exhaust system.

I have had that noise for years and finally found it. It sounded like a mid to high pitched rattle or buzzing sound on accel when car was cold. I finally traced it to the heat shields (there are 4 of them) next to the tranny. These light, sheet metal shields are riveted to the body and curve to shield the exhaust pipe. The "wings" are free and can flutter and will make contact with your exhaust pipe under certain conditions.

I have not found the perfect solution for this yet, but bending them back made it go way for several months. It has just barely started up again so I will have to find a more permanent solution. I have thought about some fire proof caulk to dampen the vibrations and stiffen the wings. We'll see if it works.
pmljr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:11 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Your sway bar end links are bad, I replaced the entire A arms still clunked, sway bar ends solved it

2007 Ford Mustang GT 5spd
Brenspeed tune, JLT 3, Hurst shifter, 4.10s
O/R Xpipe, 15x8 Jeg Stars with Micky Thompsons
BaSohol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 08:02 PM   #12

Region: Connecticut
Don't know if you're talking to me BaSohol, but I replaced my sway bar links first (this is a frequent cause I agree) but no joy. Then I did the ball joints but still clunking/rattling. I'm going for struts next, then last I'll replace the whole GD tray. I had the ball joints done for me and the guy told me he really had to beat them out. Makes me wonder if the tray ball joint seat was damaged, if new ones are seated or installed tightly.
pmljr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 06:32 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Check the end links again my replacements only lasted 10,000 Miles

I just removed the sway bar now, drag car tho

2007 Ford Mustang GT 5spd
Brenspeed tune, JLT 3, Hurst shifter, 4.10s
O/R Xpipe, 15x8 Jeg Stars with Micky Thompsons
BaSohol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 07:34 PM   #14

Mine does the same thing, it's coming from behind the radio it sounds like. Can't describe it but it's annoying. Have you figured out what it is?
Brett903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 12:45 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett903 View Post
Mine does the same thing, it's coming from behind the radio it sounds like. Can't describe it but it's annoying. Have you figured out what it is?

Rattling behind the radio is an AC issue. There are switch boxes that operate when it's turned on. Turn you AC switch to off before putting your key. Then turn on the key, if it makes no sound, then u need to replace the box, because it's only clicks with AC or fan on

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Tags
exhaust