CAI intake help!! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-25-2013, 09:50 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
CAI intake help!!

Merry Christmas everyone! Got the K and N intake today, put it on and everything went smooth. I'm noticing now that when I shift into neutral my rpm's drop to about 500 and will sit there for a second then go to about 700. The TB was clean and I'm not running a tune. Also, couldn't feel any leaks. What do I do??? Will the computer relearn and fix the idle?
p_gehle41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2013, 10:26 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

This happens with my Airaid intake too I never really bothered to pay attention too it
Torchredfrankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 08:07 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I called bama tunes. I assumed I needed a tuner even though it said no tune required. The guy told me to disconnect the negative battery cable, turn on my lights for 7 minutes, then reconnect it. Should reset the computer to compensate for the new part. Sound about right? Don't want to ruin the motor if I'm running lean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2013, 08:33 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Mine is tuned and still does that
Torchredfrankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:19 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

So today I did the reset with the battery disconnected, and still a really low bouncing idle. Also tried the idle reset, nothing. It also feels extremely underpowered. My stock intake was better. Any suggestions?
Old 12-27-2013, 11:01 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Tighten the clamps where the intake connects to the TB. Also make sure the pcv valve is all the way on. Do both of those and your RPMs will stay consistent. You're getting a extremely small amount of outside air not being filtered.
2009 Mustang GT Premium; FRRP 4.10 Gears, J&M Lower Control Arms, BBK Long Tube Headers, BBK Catted X Pipe, Pypes M80 Mid Mufflers, Pypes Pype Bomb Axle Back, JLT Series 3 Cold Air Intake, Bama 93 Octane Race Tune, Black Decklid Panel, Weathertech Mats, SVE Shifter and Shorty Antenna.
Langer1099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 11:20 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Alright ill do that tomorrow! Thank you for the help. I'm also going to make sure the MAF is good. I tightened up everything again today. Ill recheck it all though. Very frustrating
Old 12-28-2013, 02:12 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

You just have to make sure the cold air is really tightly snug against the throttle body. It will solve your problem instantly.

Tighten those O shaped hose clamps really well.
2009 Mustang GT Premium; FRRP 4.10 Gears, J&M Lower Control Arms, BBK Long Tube Headers, BBK Catted X Pipe, Pypes M80 Mid Mufflers, Pypes Pype Bomb Axle Back, JLT Series 3 Cold Air Intake, Bama 93 Octane Race Tune, Black Decklid Panel, Weathertech Mats, SVE Shifter and Shorty Antenna.
Old 12-28-2013, 12:23 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

So I reinstalled the stock airbox, and still the same problem. Could it be a dirty MAF? And still haven't gotten a CEL. I know for a dirty maf I won't but maybe for the idle?
Old 12-28-2013, 12:24 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langer1099 View Post
You just have to make sure the cold air is really tightly snug against the throttle body. It will solve your problem instantly.

Tighten those O shaped hose clamps really well.
+1 ive read several of these types of threads and most of time the clamps are not tight enough
foxbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 12:40 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I didn't take my TB off to clean it, maybe the computer adapted to it over time (68k) miles, and when I disconnected the battery it cleared all of that and it's really dirty. I'm just thinking of all possible scenarios.
Old 12-28-2013, 12:49 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_gehle41 View Post
I didn't take my TB off to clean it, maybe the computer adapted to it over time (68k) miles, and when I disconnected the battery it cleared all of that and it's really dirty. I'm just thinking of all possible scenarios.
Put the stock intake back on, if it still runs like crap then you know its the MAF if it runs fine then you know its your cai
foxbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 12:53 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Its an excuse to buy a tuner now
Old 12-30-2013, 10:35 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Alright update. I put the stock air box back on, same problem. Still idling low and seem to be lacking power. Hooked it up to the machine and the only code that popped up was P1000. Took my MAF out, sprayed it with the cleaner, put it back in and still the same problem.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:05 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Alright update. I put the stock air box back on, same problem. Still idling low and seem to be lacking power. Hooked it up to the machine and the only code that popped up was P1000. Took my MAF out, sprayed it with the cleaner, put it back in and still the same problem.
This may not be related, but when was the last time you changed your fuel filter? My car was idling weird and missing a bit. Changed the fuel filter out, no more problems!
Old 12-30-2013, 03:18 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

That's a good question. I'm actually not quite sure, I would have to go through and look at all my service records. I didn't want to do it but I'm just going to take it to the dealer tomorrow. Hopefully I didn't foul up my spark plugs or something. They said driving it might fix it, at the same time I don't want to risk doing some damage
Old 12-30-2013, 03:52 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That's a good question. I'm actually not quite sure, I would have to go through and look at all my service records. I didn't want to do it but I'm just going to take it to the dealer tomorrow. Hopefully I didn't foul up my spark plugs or something. They said driving it might fix it, at the same time I don't want to risk doing some damage
+1 better safe than sorry!
Old 12-31-2013, 06:47 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Update! Took it to the dealership. Ended up being a contaminated throttle body. Threw the p0506 code. Got it all cleaned and damn she runs better than ever!!!!!
Old 01-02-2014, 06:24 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Update! Took it to the dealership. Ended up being a contaminated throttle body. Threw the p0506 code. Got it all cleaned and damn she runs better than ever!!!!!
Awesome!
Old 01-02-2014, 06:32 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
contaminated?? lol that's a new one...good thing you got it right
1995 5.0 u/d,cai,t/b,shorty headers,x pipe,flows 40's,373 gears, alum. driveshaft, alum. radiator, shift kit, e-cam, ported upper and lower intake, 100 shot of spray, 2100 stall, black 0304 cobras. suspension: upper and lower control arms, sub frame connecters, and springs all SVE
mystang50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 08:23 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
I had my gt 500 tuned by a very reputable source with every bolt on possible
08shelbyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 08:29 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Posted by accident. Every*
Anyway, I was told once you swap a cai you must tune the car for two reasons
1. To get the performance out of you're hard earned money you just spent to buy that part.
2. To tell the computer what you just did. Again, to get what you paid for ( ie, hp)
For years I swapped induction parts as a teen and thought I was doing ok. Boy was I wrong.
With bolt ons and a great tune I have 580 hp to the wheels and 600 lb of tq. Car runs great. Just call American muscle, get a bama tuner. Tell them every part you installed. Good luck bud.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:48 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Ya now I realize the whole "no tune required" is a load of c***. I dot know what contaminated means either, but it was cheaper than if I replaced the MAF, which knowing now wouldn't have fixed it. I can definitely tell a difference though! So I must have needed to be cleaned. Better acceleration and my x-pipe sounds amazing
Old 01-06-2014, 04:22 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

X pipes are sweet. They flow really well and tend to be a bit more raspy.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT