On3 turbo kit opinions - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-06-2014, 01:53 AM   #1

Region: Alabama
On3 turbo kit opinions

About to take the plunge and buy the On3 turbo kit. I know it's not a complete kit as far as I will need injectors, fuel pump, MAF, filter, etc. but the main thing that concerns me is the install. I read a thread on a different forum about a guy doing an install on his '05 s197, however, I understand these kits are tailored better to the 09 s197 which I have. Is there anybody who has installed one of these kits in their s197 and what kind of problems did you encounter. Also, I have a Bama handheld tuner. Will a custom tune from them suffice or will I require a dyno tune?
Usmcdav2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2014, 05:26 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
If you read bout the last guy that out it on dont do it.he even had a built motor and still has problems.idk if the kit itself or the motor but he wishes he had bought a supercharger.but with a turbo or blower a dyno would be better
Torchred2010gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:28 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

On3 Turbo is in

just read his story and make sure you up to the plate.
1995 5.0 u/d,cai,t/b,shorty headers,x pipe,flows 40's,373 gears, alum. driveshaft, alum. radiator, shift kit, e-cam, ported upper and lower intake, 100 shot of spray, 2100 stall, black 0304 cobras. suspension: upper and lower control arms, sub frame connecters, and springs all SVE
mystang50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2014, 07:26 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I installed one with absolutely no issues. Itll take a full day or two to do everything plus fuel pump, injectors, etc. The kit works well ndbi had 0 issues. I blew my motor because I made 517 rwhp on 8 lbs of boost so the kit is amazing by numbers. I was on borrowed time. The other guy just had bad luck and it wasn't because of the kit. The first blow is because the installer took it for a test drive and got into boost before the tune. Then I think the shop probably butchered his install and bottom end. Kinda sucks, I feel for him :/
All I can say is make it safe if you do it!
08mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 10:05 AM   #5
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usmcdav2011 View Post
About to take the plunge and buy the On3 turbo kit. I know it's not a complete kit as far as I will need injectors, fuel pump, MAF, filter, etc. but the main thing that concerns me is the install. I read a thread on a different forum about a guy doing an install on his '05 s197, however, I understand these kits are tailored better to the 09 s197 which I have. Is there anybody who has installed one of these kits in their s197 and what kind of problems did you encounter. Also, I have a Bama handheld tuner. Will a custom tune from them suffice or will I require a dyno tune?
I don't have much experience with the On3 Turbo kit, however the kit looks pretty well made. I've read some threads where a lot of people have had luck with them. For the price you really can't beat it!

We can't actually tune for a set up like that. When it comes to Forced induction or Nitrous hits over a 100 shot, we recommend taking the car to be Dyno tuned. It's risky to tune a Twin Turbo set up remotely. The car would definitely need to be in front of the tuner! When it comes to the longevity of your motor with a forced induction car, the tune is everything. So make sure you take it to a reputable dyno shop!

I hope this helps and I wish I could be more help!

-Dan
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 04:27 PM   #6

Thank you for all the input everyone! I think I'm gonna get it.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:09 PM   #7

What would be a safe amount of boost to run with this kit without forged internals? I was thinking 6 or 7 psi.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:26 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
What would be a safe amount of boost to run with this kit without forged internals? I was thinking 6 or 7 psi.
Go with 6. I got 517 at the tire with 8.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:41 PM   #9

Alright thanks!

---------- Post added at 05:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:41 PM ----------

Did you get the upgraded turbo from them or the one that comes with the base kit?
Old 01-06-2014, 08:03 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Alright thanks!

---------- Post added at 05:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:41 PM ----------

Did you get the upgraded turbo from them or the one that comes with the base kit?
The base 70mm
Old 01-06-2014, 08:14 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
Iv been considering this kit 2 a lot lately. But in the long run it's not enough power for me. Iv decided to get a short block rotating assembly rated at 1200hp and ported heads and a kenne bell mommath supercharger. U figure I would rather save and get something amazing for awsome hp. Instead of cuting a corner and getting something cheap for ok power
Luna1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:19 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Luna, all you have to do is get a different compressor (like a high end Garrett) and then a boost controller and these will make more lower than a mammoth and for a fraction of the cost.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:20 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08mustanggt View Post
Luna, all you have to do is get a different compressor (like a high end Garrett) and then a boost controller and these will make more lower than a mammoth and for a fraction of the cost.

U have my attention...
Old 01-06-2014, 09:51 PM   #14

08mustanggt has my pretty excited about getting this kit. I have an 09 so our vehicles are pretty much identical. You run into any problems during the install?
Old 01-06-2014, 10:13 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna1994 View Post
U have my attention...

Yep.. The On3 hot and cold side piping is pretty great from what I've seen. And the BOV is good. With an upgraded unit like said above.. You're good for giant power. Better than the 700-800 you'd probably get from the mammoth. Like 08mustang said he got 517 out of 8psi. You can go over 20psi probably with the right setup..

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:26 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeJohnson View Post
Yep.. The On3 hot and cold side piping is pretty great from what I've seen. And the BOV is good. With an upgraded unit like said above.. You're good for giant power. Better than the 700-800 you'd probably get from the mammoth. Like 08mustang said he got 517 out of 8psi. You can go over 20psi probably with the right setup..
I'm strongly considering it now
Old 01-07-2014, 12:00 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

What would be better at the strip...I always assumed it would be a supercharger since there's no lag
Old 01-07-2014, 12:11 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

On3 turbo kit opinions

Quote:
What would be better at the strip...I always assumed it would be a supercharger since there's no lag

Well at the strip you really have to worry about heat soak with superchargers.

Old 01-07-2014, 12:15 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well at the strip you really have to worry about heat soak with superchargers.

But don't turbos get just as hot
Old 01-07-2014, 12:16 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
But don't turbos get just as hot

I'm not entirely sure. I haven't asked much or researched much about their performance at the strip.

Old 01-07-2014, 12:42 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm not entirely sure. I haven't asked much or researched much about their performance at the strip.

See that's what I'm all about. The strip. I'm even considering getting a fox just to make into a drag beast
Old 01-07-2014, 03:37 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

See that's what I'm all about. The strip. I'm even considering getting a fox just to make into a drag beast
Im doing the same thing with a fox Luna. But as for the strip, turbo is better believe it or not! Well in my opinion you can build boos by brake boosting in an auto, a trans break or a 2 step in a manual, then you will be in full boost when you launch, or if you're having traction issues at the track (a supercharger causes BIG traction issues and if launching on slicks, its VERY hard on your tranny, axles, frame, etc.) then you can launch the car on lower boost by setting the 2 step or trans brake at a lower rpm. You can dial this in with a computer program (I can find the name for you, my uncle's has it) that plugs into your ECM and it will set the 2 step/trans break for the right rpm/boost. You can get instant power from my turbo in 2 ways. By having a properly sized turbo head or by trans brake/brake boost/2 step as said before.

As far as the power capabilities goes, I believe Garrett makes a turbo head unit that makes up to 30 lbs of boost on a v8. If I made 517 from a stock 300 hp on 8 lbs, that's 27.1 horsepower per pound of boost. That comes out to 813 horsepower on top of the STOCK 300 making it around 1, 100 rwhp and thats only a SINGLE turbo lol. As far as doubles vs single, a properly sized singles is JUST as good as twins. People debate that you have twins (usually one smaller, on bigger like one 58mm and one 76mm) because the small one will spool instantly and create boost in low rpm and then the 76 kicks in and makes boost for high rpm. While this is true, if the 76mm hits harder and makes more power, bye bye traction and hello wall/pole/curb/etc. And that worry of loss of traction is with every gear lol. If you go twin, go around the same sizes so that its compounded boost and just makes stupid power.

Now, as far as heat soak, yes, turbos have it too BUT, you can keep it to a minimal (little to NO heat soak) by using a lot of heat/header wrap and a good turbo blanket. Some of these turbo blankets let zero heat out. I saw a video of a car on the dyno and the guy had his hand on the hot side of the turbo without burning himself. If you see a drag turbo set up, look at the pipes. Guarentee they are wrapped big time in header wrap.

So that's the end of this long winded post lol. Congrats for those of you that made it to the end ;p
Old 01-07-2014, 04:01 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

On3 turbo kit opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08mustanggt View Post
Im doing the same thing with a fox Luna. But as for the strip, turbo is better believe it or not! Well in my opinion you can build boos by brake boosting in an auto, a trans break or a 2 step in a manual, then you will be in full boost when you launch, or if you're having traction issues at the track (a supercharger causes BIG traction issues and if launching on slicks, its VERY hard on your tranny, axles, frame, etc.) then you can launch the car on lower boost by setting the 2 step or trans brake at a lower rpm. You can dial this in with a computer program (I can find the name for you, my uncle's has it) that plugs into your ECM and it will set the 2 step/trans break for the right rpm/boost. You can get instant power from my turbo in 2 ways. By having a properly sized turbo head or by trans brake/brake boost/2 step as said before.

As far as the power capabilities goes, I believe Garrett makes a turbo head unit that makes up to 30 lbs of boost on a v8. If I made 517 from a stock 300 hp on 8 lbs, that's 27.1 horsepower per pound of boost. That comes out to 813 horsepower on top of the STOCK 300 making it around 1, 100 rwhp and thats only a SINGLE turbo lol. As far as doubles vs single, a properly sized singles is JUST as good as twins. People debate that you have twins (usually one smaller, on bigger like one 58mm and one 76mm) because the small one will spool instantly and create boost in low rpm and then the 76 kicks in and makes boost for high rpm. While this is true, if the 76mm hits harder and makes more power, bye bye traction and hello wall/pole/curb/etc. And that worry of loss of traction is with every gear lol. If you go twin, go around the same sizes so that its compounded boost and just makes stupid power.

Now, as far as heat soak, yes, turbos have it too BUT, you can keep it to a minimal (little to NO heat soak) by using a lot of heat/header wrap and a good turbo blanket. Some of these turbo blankets let zero heat out. I saw a video of a car on the dyno and the guy had his hand on the hot side of the turbo without burning himself. If you see a drag turbo set up, look at the pipes. Guarentee they are wrapped big time in header wrap.

So that's the end of this long winded post lol. Congrats for those of you that made it to the end ;p

Wow thanks bro that's a verry helpful replay

---------- Post added at 03:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:00 AM ----------

I
Old 01-07-2014, 04:09 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Wow thanks bro that's a verry helpful replay

---------- Post added at 03:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:00 AM ----------

I
No problem bud. If if I think I can help and I know about the subject, im more than willing to help!
Old 01-07-2014, 06:28 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

good info!!
1995 5.0 u/d,cai,t/b,shorty headers,x pipe,flows 40's,373 gears, alum. driveshaft, alum. radiator, shift kit, e-cam, ported upper and lower intake, 100 shot of spray, 2100 stall, black 0304 cobras. suspension: upper and lower control arms, sub frame connecters, and springs all SVE
mystang50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 05:58 PM   #26

I'll be purchasing the kit and other necessary parts some time this month. Won't be doing the install until I have enough money for a dyno tune. Hopefully she'll be in and running sometime next month though!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT