Need Help with Headers - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-18-2014, 02:42 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Need Help with Headers

What kind of realistic HP and TQ gains could I see with either a pair of ceramic shorty headers or longtube headers + a catted shorty h-pipe specifically on the 05-10 3V 4.6 V8 engine?

I will have my aftermarket tune modified to include the new exhaust additions so please keep that in mind when posting estimates. I will also have a Steeda CAI if that matters in the equation as well.
2 Stangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2014, 01:45 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Can't really tell but if you want the most HP TQ I would go with long tube headers with those mods you should get gain of about 20+HP 20+torque
32GT32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:26 AM   #3

Region: Louisiana
I agree GT, it mostly depends on the tune also.
Mad Hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2014, 06:28 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I went with shorties for a few reasons 1 was cost they were 1/2 the price of lone tube's and I also wanted to run the BBK catted X pipe. The BBK X pipe with shortie's keeps the cats and 02 sensor's in their stock location's and also use's 2 3/4 " pipe and Hi flow cats VS the std. 2 1/2" pipe and cats . Larger dia. pipe and cats mean's better flow. plus I did not have to mess around with 02 sensor extention wiring etc. As far as HP I don't know I have not had my car on a Dyno yet but I felt a big difference with my BUTT Dyno even before I added a Bama tune. For me the extra cost of long tube's was not worth the couple of extra HP I did not get on the top end as my car is a DD not a race car. Plus if I decide to sell my car or trade it in down the road I can remove the BBK X pipe and reinstall the stock H pipe and axle back's and sell my mod parts on craigs list to recoupe some of my money Pype's shorties only cost me $250

Pypes shorties, BBK catted X, Flowmaster Pro's, K&N CAI, FRPP- P springs, Steeda UCA, J&M Panhard bar, Hurst Comp plus, FR500 Wheels W/NITTO's , SCT SF3 W/BAMA 93 Race tune, Pioneer TS-D6802R speakers, chin spoiler, Eleanor style grill, GT500 rear spoiler
stemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:15 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Its your call Buddy maybe someone on here does have dyno #s from before and after long tubes or shortys
Old 01-21-2014, 12:39 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Currently, I have a Bama SCT tuner, but I might switch to Steeda or get a local dyno tune down the road.

@stemar: Good points, my GT is too a DD and won't necessarily need the top end. I didn't think about getting shorties with a high-flow mid-pipe... That's also an option I'd consider.

What I'm worried about most is that it's against federal law to swap out your catalytic converters (or remove them, obviously) with replacements that aren't certified replacements. The BBK catted h-pipe I want doesn't mention anywhere on AM's product page that it's a certified replacement, but I'll do more research later. I want my car to be completely legal and avoid any fines, once again it's my DD and I'm only a kid in college, I'll have my weekend race car eventually.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:13 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stangz View Post
Currently, I have a Bama SCT tuner, but I might switch to Steeda or get a local dyno tune down the road.

@stemar: Good points, my GT is too a DD and won't necessarily need the top end. I didn't think about getting shorties with a high-flow mid-pipe... That's also an option I'd consider.

What I'm worried about most is that it's against federal law to swap out your catalytic converters (or remove them, obviously) with replacements that aren't certified replacements. The BBK catted h-pipe I want doesn't mention anywhere on AM's product page that it's a certified replacement, but I'll do more research later. I want my car to be completely legal and avoid any fines, once again it's my DD and I'm only a kid in college, I'll have my weekend race car eventually.
Sounds good I can understand where you are coming from when it comes to passing your emission or not breaking your law where I'm from they don't do no smog emission nothing like that so I'm doing long tubes I haven't installed yet I'm getting other goodies and putting them on at the same time but you can't go wrong with getting it on dyno
Old 01-22-2014, 05:57 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
all depends on your mods and where u live on epa stuff I live in il.and my car passed with cai catted x bbk tuned shorties bbk hi flo cats-x pipes twin 60 mm throttle body motion control deletes and a bama tune....smog test don't open the hood they just plug in to ecu here .....stock was about 270 +or- a few now im at 318 rwhp and 325 tq....you can pick up a few more ponys with long tubes but they are loud with high flow cats even with stock axle backs I have pypes violators also
gt07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:03 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stangz View Post
What kind of realistic HP and TQ gains could I see with either a pair of ceramic shorty headers or longtube headers + a catted shorty h-pipe specifically on the 05-10 3V 4.6 V8 engine?

I will have my aftermarket tune modified to include the new exhaust additions so please keep that in mind when posting estimates. I will also have a Steeda CAI if that matters in the equation as well.
I would go with bbk tuned ceramic they don't change color and can expect a good 10 to 12 hp and as much as 15 in the torque dept.and I got about 2 mpg as well on the highway maybe 1 in the city
gt07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:48 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt07 View Post
I would go with bbk tuned ceramic they don't change color and can expect a good 10 to 12 hp and as much as 15 in the torque dept.and I got about 2 mpg as well on the highway maybe 1 in the city
Excellent information, thanks for dropping in.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT