Need some help!! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-20-2014, 08:50 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Need some help!!

Hello y'all, I have a 2008 gt with cai, hot rod cams, pypes cat back exhaust, 3.73 gears and bama 93 race tune. I'm looking to add some more horsepower and improve my 1/4 mile. The problem I'm having is the Boggs down off the line at 2,000 rpm launch and spins if I launch anymore higher. Sooo I'd like some advice. Thanks
Vistablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2014, 09:09 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Get you some sticky tires. You'll be able to launch 4500- 5k & really cut down your 60ft.
Franco09GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:02 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks man. Is your car lowered?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2014, 07:55 AM   #4
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
I agree with Franco09GT, that running the right tire is crucial. You'll see much better 60' times with a drag radial or slick mounted in the rear. It's also best to have a smaller rim to allow for a taller sidewall tire, so it can flex during a hard launch. If you're able to pick up a set of 15" rims for the rear, that would be optimum.

I would say the proper rims and tires is the most important thing to improving your quarter mile launches, but it's not the only factory. Upgrading the flimsy factory control arms goes a long way too. A stronger and more stable aftermarket lower & upper control arm helps keep the rear end planted evenly to the ground. Plus, if your Mustang is lowered, than your suspension's geometry is off and can only bee regained with a adjustable LCA's & UCA. Again, retaining the factory suspension geometry is very important as well.

Hope this info helps assist you to get started on the right foot. If you're interested, I'd be more than happy to show you some specific part recommendations too!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:16 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks Shane. I would appreciate some advice on parts if you don't mind. I do already have rear lca that adjust on both sides. They are only Set to factory lengths tho. I'm not really sure want to adjust them to for better traction. I don't want to adjust them to far and mess the rear end up with it throwing it off.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:10 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistablue View Post
Thanks man. Is your car lowered?
Yes sir, got cobra jet drag springs on it.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:39 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

You like those springs? How do they ride on the street? Did it make a big difference at the track?
Old 01-21-2014, 06:32 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You like those springs? How do they ride on the street? Did it make a big difference at the track?
Rides good in the street. & haven't had a chance to get to the track yet. But weight transfer feels way better, my front end really picks up now. Also have QA1 adjustable rear shocks & strange engineering adjustable front struts, I know these helped with weight transferring as well.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:07 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Ahhh that's good to know. Thanks man. Is ur car NA?
Old 01-21-2014, 09:21 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ahhh that's good to know. Thanks man. Is ur car NA?
Na, I'm spraying a 125.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:32 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

That's sweet. Stock motor??
Old 01-21-2014, 10:52 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That's sweet. Stock motor??
Yes sir
Old 01-22-2014, 04:57 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

That's awesome man!!
Old 01-23-2014, 04:57 PM   #14
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Thanks Shane. I would appreciate some advice on parts if you don't mind. I do already have rear lca that adjust on both sides. They are only Set to factory lengths tho. I'm not really sure want to adjust them to for better traction. I don't want to adjust them to far and mess the rear end up with it throwing it off.
Vistablue,

If you're still at the stock ride height, than adjusting them is not necessary. It becomes necessary when you lower the car, which I would suggest the same Cobra Jet springs that Franco09GT is running. They will give you the best front to back weight transfer.

Secondly, look into an adjustable Panhard bar & UCA's. Steeda make some really hardy pieces, but they're a little rough for the street. Whiteline or J&M tend to make less vibration noises and are quieter. I suggest either of those brands for a street car and Steeda or Whiteline for a track car.

Whiteline is one of my favorite suspension companies. As I said above, their components tend to have great street manners, but really function on the track. They're the best all around, IMO.

You can also look into adjustable front & rear dampeners for improved launching. I'm not sure how far you wanted to go with the suspension or what your budget is, but adj struts & shocks will go a long way!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:37 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky View Post

Vistablue,

If you're still at the stock ride height, than adjusting them is not necessary. It becomes necessary when you lower the car, which I would suggest the same Cobra Jet springs that Franco09GT is running. They will give you the best front to back weight transfer.

Secondly, look into an adjustable Panhard bar & UCA's. Steeda make some really hardy pieces, but they're a little rough for the street. Whiteline or J&M tend to make less vibration noises and are quieter. I suggest either of those brands for a street car and Steeda or Whiteline for a track car.

Whiteline is one of my favorite suspension companies. As I said above, their components tend to have great street manners, but really function on the track. They're the best all around, IMO.

You can also look into adjustable front & rear dampeners for improved launching. I'm not sure how far you wanted to go with the suspension or what your budget is, but adj struts & shocks will go a long way!

Shane
Thanks Shane. When you say UCA's you mean the front correct? I also was thinking about re-moving the front sway bar so the weight can transfer back as far as possible. I was told it doesn't affect the handeling to much if I take it off.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:51 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Thanks Shane. When you say UCA's you mean the front correct? I also was thinking about re-moving the front sway bar so the weight can transfer back as far as possible. I was told it doesn't affect the handeling to much if I take it off.
UCA is upper control arm. It's located on top of the rear axle and below the rear seat. It stabilizes the rear axle and adjusts the pinion angle. The front sway bar definitely affects handling. It doesn't affect drag racing. 1/4 mile people take it off, it doesn't affect them much.

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 05:00 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiesrok View Post

UCA is upper control arm. It's located on top of the rear axle and below the rear seat. It stabilizes the rear axle and adjusts the pinion angle. The front sway bar definitely affects handling. It doesn't affect drag racing. 1/4 mile people take it off, it doesn't affect them much.
I know there's a UCA in the rear. He said UCA'S, which there is only 1 in the rear. That's why I was asking. Just trying to make sure.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:50 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I know there's a UCA in the rear. He said UCA'S, which there is only 1 in the rear. That's why I was asking. Just trying to make sure.
Cool, everyone abbreviates everything and sometimes it's hard to figure out, plus you never know how much anyone knows about stuff. Are you trying to setup for 1/4 mile runs or just some improvements?

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 12:50 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiesrok View Post

Cool, everyone abbreviates everything and sometimes it's hard to figure out, plus you never know how much anyone knows about stuff. Are you trying to setup for 1/4 mile runs or just some improvements?
1/4 mile. I like the twisties, but I have more fun at the 1/4. So just trying to hook up first and then add some more performance.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:53 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

I don't think removing the front sway bar would help a lot in weight transfer, not too sure on that though.

But it will help in weight reduction. I got rid of mine & replaced the bulky OEM radiator support with a BMR radiator support that deletes the front sway bar, definitely saved some weight. & for driving in town you won't notice a difference in handling.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:04 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco09GT View Post
I don't think removing the front sway bar would help a lot in weight transfer, not too sure on that though.

But it will help in weight reduction. I got rid of mine & replaced the bulky OEM radiator support with a BMR radiator support that deletes the front sway bar, definitely saved some weight. & for driving in town you won't notice a difference in handling.
Thanks man. I've thought about that. What else did you do for weight reduction?
Old 01-24-2014, 08:32 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks man. I've thought about that. What else did you do for weight reduction?
Got rid of everything in the trunk, I left mine bare metal. & did a rear seat delete. Slicks & skinnies will help a lot too
Old 01-24-2014, 09:12 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco09GT View Post

Got rid of everything in the trunk, I left mine bare metal. & did a rear seat delete. Slicks & skinnies will help a lot too
Already thought about the rear seat delete. I think I'm going to make my own.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT