Neglected Stang - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-02-2014, 10:11 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Neglected Stang

So I bought this 05 GT about a month ago , I got a great deal on the car , and it runs really strong , and has a few choice performance mods on it .
well the weather's been nutz here in the north east so I haven't really had a lot of time to go over the car , besides an oil change and new Struts and shocks and a set of rims .
but now that I've had more time with it the bad things are surfacing
I vacumed it out yesterday , and when I lifted out the floor mats I find a huge hole in the carpet under the pedals
so now I need carpet , it'll drive me nuts knowing that's there , the trunk area is another story , it looks like they used to carry around junk yard parts in the trunk. The carpet was greasy and all hagged up and the spare tire cover looked like battery acid was spilled on it it was all broken up . needless to say the entire trunk is all steel now I had to throw all that out as I'd rather have it clean steel than that crap .
also no jack or any thing else back there
the outside is typical of a 9 year old car the paints not bad but is what you would expect from a not so well taken care off car , chips etc . but at least there's no dents.
the only really ugly part is the back end where they removed the spoiler and put these butt ugly plastic plugs in the bolt holes where the spoiler once was
and it also looks like they drug a set of tow chains out of the trunk across the rear bumper cover as the paint here on top is chipped scrapped etc ..
so here I am with a nice restoration project on my hands , witch is odd the car's 9 years old not 19 , lol
I found a whole new trunk carpet and other pieces on ebay cheap
from a 2012 I cant imagine them being any different , so I'm going to pick them up and get the trunk in order first ..............
WISH ME LUCK
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2014, 10:15 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
It's a damn shame how some people can absolutely abuse a Mustang. People that do such a thing should not even be able to own a Mustang. I understand if someone buys something its there's to do what they want but good Lord have a little respect!
Old 02-02-2014, 01:12 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Awesome, a new progress thread! Looking forward to hearing ab your fixing up.

Your 05' reminds me of my 06' V6, by the time I was done with it (as far as "restoration" from being beat on or improperly maintained goes) it had received a completely new front and rear fascia (excluding the tail lamps) and an entire new paint job all around. The bumper covers were all scratched to hell and flimsy from cheap aftermarket replacements, the driver-side 1/4 panel had a 3ft long key mark in it, etc.
2 Stangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2014, 01:27 PM   #4

Region: California
Mustang GT Savior

Great project, at least it looks great from 20 feet. I am shopping for an '05 for a track day car as well, the problem with cars aimed at younger drivers is they often use them as trucks/utility vehicles. We did use my '65 fast back for hauling kids and groceries with some bags of gardening manure when we were first married but no real abuse. (If you don't count the trailer hitch as abuse).
hondo78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 01:31 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo78 View Post
Great project, at least it looks great from 20 feet. I am shopping for an '05 for a track day car as well, the problem with cars aimed at younger drivers is they often use them as trucks/utility vehicles. We did use my '65 fast back for hauling kids and groceries with some bags of gardening manure when we were first married but no real abuse. (If you don't count the trailer hitch as abuse).
College students. They beat the f*** out of their cars (and don't care for others around them as well). I'm a student and the way my friends treat their cars or have a lack of concern for them is so bad.
Old 02-02-2014, 02:23 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stangz View Post
College students. The beat the f*** out of their cars (and don't care for others around them as well). I'm a student and the way my friends treat their cars or have a lack of concern for them is so bad.

Many college students have cars gifted to them from their parents. They don't pay the car payment, so they don't give d**n. Everything changes when you put your own money into things.
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 02:59 PM   #7
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
Cant wait to see how it turns out. You should post up some pics throughout the restoration process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampde View Post
also no jack or any thing else back there
Did you happen to check under the spare tire? That's where the jack is secured on the S197s.
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 03:36 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixBanger View Post
Many college students have cars gifted to them from their parents. They don't pay the car payment, so they don't give d**n. Everything changes when you put your own money into things.
Yeah, it's sad. I was at a client's home doing some demolition with my boss... Huge house. Getting a huge remodel. Their daughter was a sophomore in college I believe, her probably 2yr-old Honda was beat to sh*t. Literally, you'll have to take my word for it, I don't think there was one panel on the front, rear, and passenger side that was not cracked, duck taped, or dented from some sort of collision. Didn't see driver's side bc never went on that side of garage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDat View Post
Cant wait to see how it turns out. You should post up some pics throughout the restoration process.
+1 on the pics.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:50 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDat View Post

Did you happen to check under the spare tire? That's where the jack is secured on the S197s.
OH YA , it had about a 1/4 inch of grease and grime down there , used 1/2 bottle of simple green on it , its all clean now
I'm just going to start stock piling parts for the spring , already have picked up a GT500 rear spoiler to cover the bolt hole / plugs
not installed yet
I will work on some pick's though
I'll get some up very soon of its present condition
Old 02-03-2014, 12:26 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
I just don't get how you spend that much on a nice car only to trash it. I have always taken care of every vehicle I've own regardless of even how much I spent on it.

Sent from my Note II using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 02-05-2014, 06:45 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

well with the rear bumper cover all scrapped up on the top edge I decided maybe I'll pick up a used one and have it dropped off to my friend who's a body man and get it painted , but I stepped into sh** yesterday and met a really nice guy who had a GT500 rear cover collecting dust in his garage
in perfect condition , took it home for $200 can't beat that
Old 02-05-2014, 06:56 AM   #12
Sad Panda
Staff

Region: Texas
Damn I need some bumpers!
98 UA Mustang GT - sold
10 CI Mustang GT - slow
silverskoundrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:11 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
well with the rear bumper cover all scrapped up on the top edge I decided maybe I'll pick up a used one and have it dropped off to my friend who's a body man and get it painted , but I stepped into sh** yesterday and met a really nice guy who had a GT500 rear cover collecting dust in his garage
in perfect condition , took it home for $200 can't beat that
Sweet! My favorite S197 bumper cover hands down. Get it GT/CS painted
Old 02-05-2014, 08:20 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Shame I didn't see this sooner. lol I'd have swapped you my non spoiler trunk lid for yours. lol I wanted the spoiler so I bought one and drilled the holes in mine. And your not alone on the holes in the carpet. Mine has a big hole in front of the pedals and the 2 hooks that hold the floor mat in place have been ripped out.

As for the battery acid thing... that might actually have been mold. There was a problem with the 2005s leaking water into the quarter panels from the wheel wells, and as the quarters filled with water it would slosh into the spare tire well, soaking the bottom of the trunk board and causing mold. Mine has that problem.
66Sprint200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 02:32 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66sprint200 View Post
shame i didn't see this sooner. Lol i'd have swapped you my non spoiler trunk lid for yours. Lol i wanted the spoiler so i bought one and drilled the holes in mine. And your not alone on the holes in the carpet. mine has a big hole in front of the pedals and the 2 hooks that hold the floor mat in place have been ripped out.

As for the battery acid thing... That might actually have been mold. There was a problem with the 2005s leaking water into the quarter panels from the wheel wells, and as the quarters filled with water it would slosh into the spare tire well, soaking the bottom of the trunk board and causing mold. Mine has that problem. :p
didnt know that /thx for info
Old 02-05-2014, 02:34 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Sweet! My favorite S197 bumper cover hands down. Get it GT/CS painted
HOW'S that ? its black right now , with matte black bottom
be changing that up to blue soon
Old 02-05-2014, 04:04 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
HOW'S that ? its black right now , with matte black bottom
be changing that up to blue soon
The first two pics are of my old V6 with rear GT/CS bumper and the last two are of the GT500 rear bumper. It's the same bumper, slightly different paint scheme
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0209.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	147109   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0167.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	1.54 MB
ID:	147110  

Name:	GT500 (TR)-2.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	236.3 KB
ID:	147111   Click image for larger version

Name:	GT500 (TR)-1.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	230.9 KB
ID:	147112  

Old 02-05-2014, 04:08 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Sprint200 View Post
Shame I didn't see this sooner. lol I'd have swapped you my non spoiler trunk lid for yours. lol I wanted the spoiler so I bought one and drilled the holes in mine. And your not alone on the holes in the carpet. Mine has a big hole in front of the pedals and the 2 hooks that hold the floor mat in place have been ripped out.

As for the battery acid thing... that might actually have been mold. There was a problem with the 2005s leaking water into the quarter panels from the wheel wells, and as the quarters filled with water it would slosh into the spare tire well, soaking the bottom of the trunk board and causing mold. Mine has that problem.
damn , I would have done it . I like the no spoiler look
Old 02-05-2014, 04:10 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The first two pics are of my old V6 with rear GT/CS bumper and the last two are of the GT500 rear bumper. It's the same bumper, slightly different paint scheme
OK , its painted like yours now , so I guess it came off of a GTCS
Its gloss black with that small back end matte area and he sides are gloss all the way down , that's probably the way I'll get it done
Old 02-06-2014, 06:24 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Its crazy how many people here in the northeast drive their mustangs in the snow and salt. As a bullitt owner it makes me sick when i drive by a bullitt that parks by my job thats always covered in snow... buy a car cover for f**ks sake...
Old 02-06-2014, 10:34 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geiger View Post
Its crazy how many people here in the northeast drive their mustangs in the snow and salt. As a bullitt owner it makes me sick when i drive by a bullitt that parks by my job thats always covered in snow... buy a car cover for f**ks sake...
when I had my Mach 1 , I had a Ranger for a beater , but it got to be expensive , insurance for 2 vehicles , etc
so now I'm down to 1
gotta get to work ,snow or no snow
Old 02-06-2014, 01:20 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Everthing is relative. Maybe the PO had some fun car (gt500, porsche, musclecar) and this was his beater. My "beater" DD is my '14 GT below. Granted, i take care of her as I would all of my other rides.
Sixbanger nailed it tho.
Troy
Old 02-23-2014, 10:06 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Ok , Here are some photo's of my car , not the greatest but you get the idea
Rear bumper cover ,chunks of paint missing ,scratches in hood scoop, fender ,miss Aligned fender , the inside wheel housings in the front wheel wells are also missing , the deck lid scratches ,plugs etc .... the hole in the carpet under the foot pedals ..
started with the trunk area ,the pics are after I cleaned all the grease out of it . then I installed trunk and inner side panels from a 2012 , I also have the interior carpet from the same 2012 , not going to worry about putting that in till the weather breaks though .
its a shame the rear trunk plastic piece wouldnt fit ( the one that covers the taillights from behind ) because mine's all beat to hell .and I got the one from the 2012 .. the taillights being a lil different made it not the same ,,,
so I started at the back at the least important area and one you'll never see , lol
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_4261.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	1.52 MB
ID:	148639   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4262.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	1.74 MB
ID:	148640  

Name:	100_4263.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	1.59 MB
ID:	148641   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4264.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	1.79 MB
ID:	148642  

Name:	100_4265.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	1.85 MB
ID:	148643   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4266.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	1.91 MB
ID:	148644  

Name:	100_4267.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	2.16 MB
ID:	148645   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4268.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	1.66 MB
ID:	148646  

Name:	100_4272.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	1.71 MB
ID:	148647   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4270.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	1.71 MB
ID:	148648  

Old 02-23-2014, 10:09 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

a few more
and the re-new'd trunk area
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_4269.jpg
Views:	130
ID:	148649   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4271.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	1.88 MB
ID:	148650  

Name:	100_4273.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	1.79 MB
ID:	148651   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4275.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	1.67 MB
ID:	148652  

Name:	100_4277.jpg
Views:	134
ID:	148653  
Old 04-07-2014, 08:13 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Got a few more things done , GT500 spoiler and honey comb panel with Cobra badge
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	gt.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	153199   Click image for larger version

Name:	gtf.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	153.2 KB
ID:	153200  

Old 04-08-2014, 10:50 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Not sure about a Cobra badge on a non Cobra. Kinda like an SI logo on DX Honda. Now when some punk in an Acura beats you, he will always remember the day he beat a Cobra.
Not cool.
Troy
Old 04-08-2014, 11:30 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Getn off View Post
Not sure about a Cobra badge on a non Cobra. Kinda like an SI logo on DX Honda. Now when some punk in an Acura beats you, he will always remember the day he beat a Cobra.
Not cool.
Troy
x2
1995 5.0 u/d,cai,t/b,shorty headers,x pipe,flows 40's,373 gears, alum. driveshaft, alum. radiator, shift kit, e-cam, ported upper and lower intake, 100 shot of spray, 2100 stall, black 0304 cobras. suspension: upper and lower control arms, sub frame connecters, and springs all SVE
mystang50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 02:53 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

I was gonna mention the Cobra badge too, but the OP paid for that car, not us.
Old 04-08-2014, 04:19 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:

That v6 is sexy omg
Doe_Rae_mi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:24 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

The Cobra badge was givin to me by my friend , and it looks good , IMO
and it just says Ford on it
no where does it have SHELBY OR GT500 anywhere on my car
Like a lot of others I see , with Shelby clones that have the trunk letters and all,
there's a V6 around my town with a complete GT500 body kit on his car ,with SHELBY across the rear deck lid GT500 rocker stripes the whole mess, you wouldnt know its not one untill
he starts it up
that's over board !!
Old 04-09-2014, 08:05 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Oh yes, I believe that is the Cobra Jet badge, where it doesn't say Shelby on it. Those are temping man, I hear ya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe_Rae_mi View Post
That v6 is sexy omg
Thanks brother.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT