Future build plans - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-24-2014, 12:00 PM   #1

Future build plans

My car currently has exhaust and some aesthetic pieces, with a CAI, Throttle body,cam, and tuner soon to come. After that, a supercharger. I am curious as to the benefits of different kits. Centrifugal vs roots type, intercooled vs nonintercooled. Looking to get about 400-450rwhp with mostly stock internals. Anyone have suggestions?
08StreetBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2014, 11:16 AM   #2
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08StreetBeast View Post
My car currently has exhaust and some aesthetic pieces, with a CAI, Throttle body,cam, and tuner soon to come. After that, a supercharger. I am curious as to the benefits of different kits. Centrifugal vs roots type, intercooled vs nonintercooled. Looking to get about 400-450rwhp with mostly stock internals. Anyone have suggestions?
Hey,

Sounds like you have a pretty solid build going. The 3 valves sound awesome with a cams! I had an 06 GT with a set of cams and absolutely loved it.

As far as superchargers go, they will all get you to that 400-450HP range you are looking for. The centrifugal design, is generally cheaper as it keeps the factory throttle body and manifold. However, the biggest down side to this type of supercharger is the a minor lack of low end power it creates compared to roots style counterpart. This is a minimal difference but slightly noticeable, as the air has to be forced through more restrictive intake components after going through the supercharger.

Roots style superchargers replace the entire intake manifold and compresses the air after the throttle body. From here the air goes directly into the engine and creating instantaneous power. These kits tend to make bigger power numbers and many people prefer their look, however with this comes the lengthier install and bigger price tag.

Intercoolers really have one purpose and that is to cool the air going into the engine. This proves beneficial in two ways. The cooler air is safer to run and reduces the risk of detonation with cooler under hood temperatures. The second benefit of cooler air is that it creates more power. Cooler air is denser air, so essentially the supercharger can compress more air into the engine and produce more power.

If you can afford it I would certainly recommend a roots style supercharger with an intercooler simply due to the power gains and safety attributed with this set up. In all honesty though, you should be able to get to the HP number you want with just a centrifugal supercharger and no intercooler.

When you do decide to pull the trigger on one of these, keep in mind we do price match an competitor's advertised price, or we offer a 6% discount to all our forum members.

I hope this helps, and if you have any other questions, please feel free to let myself know or contact the customer service team listed below my signature.

-Dan
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:40 AM   #3

Thanks. And is this a safe build if done conservatively? It would be a daily driver and don't need a blown block or something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2014, 01:41 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to Destination S19
The "safe" limit on stock rods in these cars is between 400 and 500 at the wheels. People have bent rods and broken rod bolts in that power range but its mostly towards the upper limit in the 450 to 500rwhp range. There is no real safe tune, its mostly what your set of random internal parts can handle at that point. If I want to have a reliable 450 to 500 at the wheels, i'd at least get a set of forged rods and bolts.

FRPP HotRods Cams / American Racing Headers Long Tubes with catted X / Stang-Hi dyno tune
Saleen wheels / Steeda CAI / Corsa Xtremes, K Springs, Koni STR.Ts, UMI lca relo. Brackets/r lwr ctrl arms UMI adj. panhard bar / Camber plates / SR Strut Tower Brace.
Destination S19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 02:28 PM   #5

Alright. I think I'll go roots type on low boost. And turn up the boost as I get better parts.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT