Custom tunes - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-13-2014, 02:14 AM   #1

Custom tunes

New to the forum, so forgive me if I screw up. I have an 05 I just bought. 40k miles. Completely stock. 5 speed. Im about to either put on axle back or catback exhaust(as soon as i decide) and a cold air intake. I want a tune that will basically just wake it up and make it run more efficiently with the mods, and something thats easy to email and get custom tunes with. I want to use sct software. Something that if I get different oarts I jusy email the tuner and they tweak it amd send a new one. ive heard that, aside from a dyno tune; vmp, aed, and lethal performance, and lund is the way to go.ive also heard steeda isn't bad. Just wanted to hear some more thoughts and opinions on yall's experience with programmers with custom tunes. All help appreciated. Thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2014, 02:27 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Steeda is terrible. Got a dyno tune by them and the engine detonated not even a week later, STAY AWAY. As far as email tune goes, you cant go wrong with Bama through American muscle or with a Brenspeed tune. Lund is also amazing with their tunes. As far as axle back vs cat back goes, go with axle back. The cat back is useless and just a money grab. Just get an offroad h/x pipe and an axle back. If you need suggestions on mid pipes and axle backs, just let me know! Ive heard nearly all (some exceptions) of the axle backs in person with different mid pipe combinations!
08mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 02:34 AM   #3

I really love the slp axle backs. But with an offroad x I feel like theyre too raspy. I was thinking bbk catted x with slps? What axle back and x/h pipe setup would give me a similar sound? I forgot to mention brenspeed above, but I heard theyre pretty decent.

---------- Post added at 07:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:34 AM ----------

And thanks for the tip and help also.

Advertisement

Old 03-13-2014, 02:40 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Among the tuners you listed, I've heard Lund is the best and they do send revised tunes for free as long as it's just bolt-on mods. So that may be your best bet.

As far as Steeda goes, 08mustanggt that's very odd. Maybe it was just time for your motor. The tunes they sell are the same tunes they install on their serialized Ford vehicles that Ford sells. They advertise safe and reliable tunes (personally why I went with Steeda) and some dealerships even honor warranty services even with a Steeda tune.

One member said he had his Steeda tune looked at by a dyno shop and said it was dead-on and couldn't of been any better. I and other members have run the Steeda tune for months without any issues what-so-ever.
Old 03-13-2014, 02:46 AM   #5

Do steeda or lund offer a programmer with their tunes or a tune on them?

Old 03-13-2014, 02:50 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stangz View Post
Among the tuners you listed, I've heard Lund is the best and they do send revised tunes for free as long as it's just bolt-on mods. So that may be your best bet.

As far as Steeda goes, 08mustanggt that's very odd. Maybe it was just time for your motor. The tunes they sell are the same tunes they install on their serialized Ford vehicles that Ford sells. They advertise safe and reliable tunes (personally why I went with Steeda) and some dealerships even honor warranty services even with a Steeda tune.

One member said he had his Steeda tune looked at by a dyno shop and said it was dead-on and couldn't of been any better. I and other members have run the Steeda tune for months without any issues what-so-ever.
Doubt it was time for my motor with 25,000 km on it. Kilometers, not Miles.
Old 03-13-2014, 02:55 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby_Green View Post
I really love the slp axle backs. But with an offroad x I feel like theyre too raspy. I was thinking bbk catted x with slps? What axle back and x/h pipe setup would give me a similar sound? I forgot to mention brenspeed above, but I heard theyre pretty decent.

---------- Post added at 07:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:34 AM ----------

And thanks for the tip and help also.

Personally, I LOVE the offroad h and borla stingers combo but im probably biased because thats what I run haha! I run that because ive been through a few set ups and found the loud but deep, raspless exhaust sound that I love. Planning on pairing it with a set of frpp hot rod cams soon (two weeks or so)! Off-road x is usually louder than off-road h but off-road h is usually less raspy and more tamed. An off-road h will give you more of that old school muscle car sound, an off-road x will give you more of that loud nasty NASCAR sound. Its whatever you're into! The slp axle backs are pretty loud to begin with and tend to have a lot of "popping" due to back pressure which some people like. They are pretty deep too!
Old 03-13-2014, 03:45 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I'm with 08mustanggt, I have Borla Stingers and soon hope to get long tubes with a catted h-pipe to stick with that loud, deep, old school muscle sound. I'd love hot rod cams but that won't happen for a long time.

And 08mustanggt, I figured you didn't have much miles, I meant like maybe you just had a bad build or it must of been an error by the tuner, who knows.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:04 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm with 08mustanggt, I have Borla Stingers and soon hope to get long tubes with a catted h-pipe to stick with that loud, deep, old school muscle sound. I'd love hot rod cams but that won't happen for a long time.

And 08mustanggt, I figured you didn't have much miles, I meant like maybe you just had a bad build or it must of been an error by the tuner, who knows.
You never know! I know Steeda.ca and Steeda.com are two different things? Maybe one has higher standards than the other? But the owner told another guy a couple days later "yeah a kid came in here with a turboed car and it wont last a week, hope he likes that tune, im glad I got my money out of him". How crappy is that?
Old 03-13-2014, 04:08 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Yes I've heard there indeed is a difference between Steeda.ca and Steeda.com. That may be conflict here, as we're US guys here running Steeda.com's tunes and I just saw you're from CA. Yeah that's some bullish*t man, sorry to hear that.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:11 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yes I've heard there indeed is a difference between Steeda.ca and Steeda.com. That may be conflict here, as we're US guys here running Steeda.com's tunes and I just saw you're from CA. Yeah that's some bullish*t man, sorry to hear that.
Eh it is what it is lol! I guess they never figured this "kid" would have enough to build a motor but It just gave me a reason to build a forged 5.0 stroker haha!
Old 03-14-2014, 07:12 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
I got my cai and tuner/tune from steeda. Been running fine for me and customer service is great.

Sent from my T0LTE using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 03-14-2014, 10:05 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to KATO
I had my Tune done "CUSTOM", at Mustang Specialties. I like Custom Tunes better, because they are programed to your "personal" Cars specs and additions.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:38 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I had bama tunes for my last 2 Mustangs... I would recommend the, very helpful
4point6Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 10:07 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Steeda! Look at the CAI aswell love the carbon fiber I have on my car, an I would just find someone where that would custom tune your car... IMO (in my opinion) seems like the custom tunes will benefit your car the best! Here's a pic of the Steeda carbon fiber CAI..Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1396148838.801633.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	152263
Old 03-31-2014, 02:04 AM   #16

Damn.. how much did that steeda beast run you?

Old 03-31-2014, 02:08 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
That is beast lookin
Old 04-09-2014, 08:11 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Holy... Those valve covers... OMG
Old 04-10-2014, 09:13 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to Borii
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08mustanggt View Post
Steeda is terrible. Got a dyno tune by them and the engine detonated not even a week later, STAY AWAY. As far as email tune goes, you cant go wrong with Bama through American muscle or with a Brenspeed tune. Lund is also amazing with their tunes. As far as axle back vs cat back goes, go with axle back. The cat back is useless and just a money grab. Just get an offroad h/x pipe and an axle back. If you need suggestions on mid pipes and axle backs, just let me know! Ive heard nearly all (some exceptions) of the axle backs in person with different mid pipe combinations!
Agreed on exhaust. Most full exhaust systems do no replace the pipe between the x pipe to axle backs.

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Borii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:49 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

I just did mid pipes and axle back. I did off road H pipe but even the American Muscle guys said that was basically all need, replacing the pipes between was overkill and wouldnt really help. Love my Pypes off road H pipe and pype bomb axle backs. H pipe sounds better IMO.

As for Tunes Bama really woke mine up and they are so easy to deal with. Just got new 20's and a new set coming asap to cover those settings. I have a 2013 but really all still holds true for your car. BTW I did CAI and BAMA tuner combo
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:52 AM   #21

I havent done anything yet other than flowmaster outlaw axle backs. Loooove the sound

Old 04-10-2014, 05:01 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby_Green View Post
I havent done anything yet other than flowmaster outlaw axle backs. Loooove the sound

Great choice for your first mod.
Old 04-10-2014, 05:04 PM   #23

I got them for 350 shipped from vmp. No complaints. Totally changed the attitude of my car. Next will be CAI and tune and an offroad H. From there, probly barton shifter, one piece shaft, 3.73s annnnd lca relocation brackets, uca bracket, then probly hot rod cams.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT