(AM CAI+TUNE) is tire size important with tune? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-30-2014, 05:37 AM   #1
Road Trip!

Region: Other
(AM CAI+TUNE) is tire size important with tune?

I used to have a BAMA tune + JLT intake combo, i loved it but the throttle was super touchy for me and i went through a phase of wanting to keep the car stock, so I sold them on ebay for a 200$ loss

However I'm craving powa again! I heard that you can ask BAMA to leave the throttle the same and just get the benefits of the intake + a better tune. Also, I want to keep the octane at 87. I'm using 235/50/18 Tires, but I may switch to 17s in the winter, so IF I switch to 17s would I need to get a new tune from BAMA or should I be okay? I should be okay right? because think about it: from the factory my car came with 17s and I went up to 18s with issues, so worst it would only throw off the speedo by 0.1 MPH, but everything else should be alright, right?
Vaiit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2014, 05:45 AM   #2
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
The reason tire size can be an issue is for speedometer calibration. During a tune write, they can compinsate for tire/rim sizes over stock for you, and calibarate the speedometer.
Old 03-30-2014, 05:54 AM   #3
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
The reason tire size can be an issue is for speedometer calibration. During a tune write, they can compinsate for tire/rim sizes over stock for you, and calibarate the speedometer.
right but don't similar rules apply on stock tunes as well? all in all it shouldn't be a noticeable difference right?

ie: Palo Alto Speedometer: Speedometer Calculator this calc shows the spedo diff between stock tire size and aftermarket mathematically, [it's negligible] so the same rules should apply with a tune right? Ie: people who have their cars stock performance wise usually don't retune their cars after getting bigger rims, so shouldn't be a big deal right? Hopefully I can keep my 18s on all year and drive an explorer in the winter, but in case i ever had to get my snow wheels back on, would I have to retune?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2014, 10:36 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaiit View Post

right but don't similar rules apply on stock tunes as well? all in all it shouldn't be a noticeable difference right?

ie: Palo Alto Speedometer: Speedometer Calculator this calc shows the spedo diff between stock tire size and aftermarket mathematically, [it's negligible] so the same rules should apply with a tune right? Ie: people who have their cars stock performance wise usually don't retune their cars after getting bigger rims, so shouldn't be a big deal right? Hopefully I can keep my 18s on all year and drive an explorer in the winter, but in case i ever had to get my snow wheels back on, would I have to retune?
You can change the tire size with an SCT tuner by yourself, without messing with the tune. You just calculate the revs per mile and enter it. Just measure from the ground to the wheel center for radius and calculate your circumference, then revs per mile is easy. There are some apps for this.

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 12:09 PM   #5
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiesrok View Post
You can change the tire size with an SCT tuner by yourself, without messing with the tune. You just calculate the revs per mile and enter it. Just measure from the ground to the wheel center for radius and calculate your circumference, then revs per mile is easy. There are some apps for this.
Alright, but even if I don't change the tune or anything but I do change the tires, it shouldn't be any big deal right?
Old 03-30-2014, 08:47 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
It just depends on the change. It could be off 10 mph. There's an app called tire sizer, it will calculate how much your speedo will be off after entering current tire vs new tire size.

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 09:18 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mexico
its not going to hurt you car if that's what your asking but ur spedo will obviously be wrong
FullyAutomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 10:40 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
If u get bama you get tunes, for life anyway so even if it wasn't able to change yourself they can do it for you for free
Old 03-31-2014, 09:37 AM   #9
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Yes, we can definitely adjust your throttle response for you. If you don't want it to be touchy that's perfectly fine. We can leave those parameters alone. This is why it's so great to have a Custom tune, we can change anything for your style of driving!

Just let the Bama team know and they'll gladly help you out. As far as the tire size goes, you usually want to the tune to have the right tire size so that the speedo isn't off. However, if you're only going 17's to 18's it's not a huge deal. We can also offer you two different tunes. One for Summer and one for Winter! Just let the guys know..

Hope this helps!

-Dan
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 11:13 AM   #10
Road Trip!

with the bama tuner sf3 CEL code reading, is it pretty good - like does it tell u EXACTLY what needs to be fixed or is it like a autozone one that only gives 'probable causes' which can pretty much be anything, and even after you fix all those things the CEL is still on...lol ?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Tags
cai