Need help with Nitrous. Built Motor. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-31-2014, 01:21 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Need help with Nitrous. Built Motor.

Hey guys, just got rid of my turbo set up and just had a motor build with all Manley internals. I was thinking of just slapping some nitrous on it for when I need it, I dont always need boost. The motor is fully built and goong to be dropped back in within the next week or two.

What I want to know is, how much can I spray on a built motor, how safe/reliable is nitrous, how do I go about it the best way and how does nitrous feel (whipple is instant boost, turbo has some lag, nitrous?) If there's anyone that can help me, please do.
08mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2014, 02:55 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Depends On the fuel you are using. Pump gas probably limited to a 200 shot. E85 you can go considerably higher. Or if you do not want to run 85 then stick to pump gas and run a dedicated fuel system for the nitrous, with racegas . now best route would be a direct port if looking to go above a 200. Plate kit will be good for 200 and below.

Feel wise it is instant, a lot more instant than a blower. You can always set up a big hit on a progressive switch also.

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 03:04 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
Depends On the fuel you are using. Pump gas probably limited to a 200 shot. E85 you can go considerably higher. Or if you do not want to run 85 then stick to pump gas and run a dedicated fuel system for the nitrous, with racegas . now best route would be a direct port if looking to go above a 200. Plate kit will be good for 200 and below.

Feel wise it is instant, a lot more instant than a blower. You can always set up a big hit on a progressive switch also.

I was hoping you would chime in Rapinator. Could you teach me what you know about nitrous? I have no idea about wet/dry, direct port, window switches, progressive controllers, etc. My uncle has a 9 flat Monte Carlo 408 nitrous car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2014, 03:17 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Wet kit - is fuel/ nitrous mixed
Dry kit - is just nitrous.

Which one you decide to run is totally up to you. If you go with a dry kit you will need a fuel system to back up the amount you want to spray. This could be just injectors or a boost a pump, all the way to a return style system.

A wet kit ties into your existing fuel system.
Best way is to run a dedicated fuel system for the nitrous.

A direct port is the best choice it is plumbed directly into your intake manifold. A plate kit will go between the throttle body and intake manifold opening.

Window switch will determine when the nitrous is activated. Say come on at 3500 rpms and stop at 7600.

Progressive controller is some what like a boost controller. You can determine how much nitrous is being sprayed per gear/ rpm. From % increasments. Say 20% of your total in 1st. 40% in 2nd And 100% by 3rd. Or however you choose.

First you need to think about how much you want to spray? With your motor being forged you are good for about anything you want to throw at it. With the right fuel and tuning. Given you upgraded the head studs etc.

Old 03-31-2014, 03:19 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Nitrous can get expensive. My new setup is setting me back alittle over 5k just for the parts. Its not cheaper like everyone thinks.

Old 03-31-2014, 03:28 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Nitrous can get expensive. My new setup is setting me back alittle over 5k just for the parts. Its not cheaper like everyone thinks.

Im not looking to run that expensive, just something to give me a boost when I need it. No expense was spared with the motor. It is a 5.0 stroker, all manley internals, forged 8 bolt crank, arp head studs, felpro head gaskets, arp2000 rod bolts, clevite rings, etc. I have 47 pound injectors and a 340 lph fuel pump right now but will the car run with those when nitrous isnt being used or will it run rich? Can I run it with that fuel pump and injectors if I get a dyno tune done (plan on doing one anyways as it now has long tubes and hot rod cams). What type of injection do you think would be best for me for nitrous (wet/dry/direct)? In planning on an automatic bottle opener, window switch and maybe a progressive controller. How does the window switch know when to and when not to activate nitrous (On/off switch)? Because I dont want to use it all the time, only if im racing something I think will call for a close race. And how safe/unsafe do you find nitrous is on these cars? Nitrous backfire?
Old 03-31-2014, 03:41 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Yes you will be fine with the injectors/ pump you have. Just need to be tuned for them like you said.

How much do you want to spray? If its 100-200 I would just get a plate kit bud. Wet kit. From NX or nitrous outlet.
The win down switch will be activaded when the system is turned on,By a toggle switch.

Then will activate at what rpm you have it set at. ( only time the system will spray is when the toggle switch is armed. *system armed* ). You will have 2 tunes one for all motor and the 2nd for nitrous. You can run on your n2o tune all the time if you wish. Just will be down on power NA

Old 03-31-2014, 03:44 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Nitrous is just as safe as a turbo or blower. Just all depends on the tune and fuel. Also your motor being up to the task just as boost. Nitrous backfire is due to fuel puddling in the intake. Could be from a faulty solenoid or clogged lines etc. I have never experienced one personally.

Old 03-31-2014, 04:01 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Nitrous is just as safe as a turbo or blower. Just all depends on the tune and fuel. Also your motor being up to the task just as boost. Nitrous backfire is due to fuel puddling in the intake. Could be from a faulty solenoid or clogged lines etc. I have never experienced one personally.

Okay, great! Umm, im thinking a 200 shot should be alright for the time being? Should plant me right around 550 because I have full bolt ons now and then I want to eventually run maybe a turbo again with some nitrous or if I really like nitrous maybe a really big shot if possible?
Old 03-31-2014, 04:05 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Yes a 200 shot will get you real close to 550. Yes a big shot will be possible. Just will want to look into a direct port for anything over a 200.

My new setup will be 2 stages. Direct port with a 200-300 and the 2nd stage of 100 from a plate kit. So a total of possiby 400 this time.

Old 03-31-2014, 04:39 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Chances are once you get the nitrous bug you will only want more of it. That's when you dona auto swap and spray the ***** out of her and shoot for low 9's

Old 03-31-2014, 11:40 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Chances are once you get the nitrous bug you will only want more of it. That's when you dona auto swap and spray the ***** out of her and shoot for low 9's

It wouldnt surprise me lol. What are you thoughts on purge kits?
Old 03-31-2014, 11:45 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08mustanggt View Post
It wouldnt surprise me lol. What are you thoughts on purge kits?
You need one to get all the air out of the lines. Plus they look badass

Old 03-31-2014, 11:48 PM   #14
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Quote:
Yes a 200 shot will get you real close to 550. Yes a big shot will be possible. Just will want to look into a direct port for anything over a 200.

My new setup will be 2 stages. Direct port with a 200-300 and the 2nd stage of 100 from a plate kit. So a total of possiby 400 this time.

Your not going turbo anymore?

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 11:56 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

You need one to get all the air out of the lines. Plus they look badass

Any more advice you can give me?

---------- Post added at 10:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post

No, I ended up selling my set up.

---------- Post added at 10:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:55 PM ----------

Quote:

---------- Post added at 10:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:55 PM ----------

Quote:

Quote:

---------- Post added at 10:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:55 PM ----------

Quote:

Old 03-31-2014, 11:56 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No my tuner talked me into going back with the bottle. Just a whole new setup. Direct port and a plate kit this go around. Either a 300 on e85 or a 400. We will decide once she hits the dyno. Maybe not all 400 till we hit the middle of 3rd. Also swapping over to nitrous outlet this time vs NX. Should be around 850-900 on the bottle. Also once the mt-82 goes I will swap to a auto.

Old 03-31-2014, 11:56 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Old 03-31-2014, 11:58 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Sorry, my phone messed up big time lol
Old 03-31-2014, 11:59 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

My buddy just went twins and pumpgas. Upgraded from his single hellion. I don't want 2 of the basically same cars running around. So the bottle it is again. My old kit is doing work on another friends car though lol

Old 04-01-2014, 12:00 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
My buddy just went twins and pumpgas. Upgraded from his single hellion. I don't want 2 of the basically same cars running around. So the bottle it is again. My old kit is doing work on another friends car though lol

I just dont want the constant stress on the engine lol. Once I hear the sound of the turbo start to spool up, it makes me want to get in it, so im in it all the time!
Old 04-01-2014, 12:07 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Yes.
Just make sure your tune is spot on if your looking at a 200. Also your suspension being setup for it. Becarefull the first time you decide to hit it. It can be violent if you do not plant the *** on the hit. Don't spray if your pressure is below 800 or over 1200.

Old 04-01-2014, 12:10 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yes.
Just make sure your tune is spot on if your looking at a 200. Also your suspension being setup for it. Becarefull the first time you decide to hit it. It can be violent if you do not plant the *** on the hit. Don't spray if your pressure is below 800 or over 1200.

I know about bottle heaters, but can you explain pressures and how to monitor within the car to me? Also, what do you suggest for suspension? Will nitrous break the tires loose in like 4th/5th
Old 04-01-2014, 12:21 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I know about bottle heaters, but can you explain pressures and how to monitor within the car to me? Also, what do you suggest for suspension? Will nitrous break the tires loose in like 4th/5th
The best way to adjust the pressure is have a separate gauge mounted in your car to watch. If it gets to high tap your purge a few times to get it where you want. But if you watch it then turn your heater off at the pressure you want your good, and shouldn't have to use the purge for it.

Suspension is critical. My setup personally is.
BMR LCA
BMR relocation brackets
BMR pan hard bar
JPC adjustable UCA
Lakewood 70/30 struts
Lakewood 50/50 shocks
And k springs. ( about to swap to BMR's though)

Breaking tires loose depends on suspension and tires. And gears . With a 200 on street tires yes you will have a bad time.

For the track I recommend a full slick.

I run NTo5r's on the street ( with the bottle) do not recomend spraying on street tires like I said above.

Old 04-01-2014, 12:46 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

The best way to adjust the pressure is have a separate gauge mounted in your car to watch. If it gets to high tap your purge a few times to get it where you want. But if you watch it then turn your heater off at the pressure you want your good, and shouldn't have to use the purge for it.

Suspension is critical. My setup personally is.
BMR LCA
BMR relocation brackets
BMR pan hard bar
JPC adjustable UCA
Lakewood 70/30 struts
Lakewood 50/50 shocks
And k springs. ( about to swap to BMR's though)

Breaking tires loose depends on suspension and tires. And gears . With a 200 on street tires yes you will have a bad time.

For the track I recommend a full slick.

I run NTo5r's on the street ( with the bottle) do not recomend spraying on street tires like I said above.

Wow, I better step my suspension game up lol
Old 04-01-2014, 07:12 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Wow, I better step my suspension game up lol
What is your current setup?

Old 04-01-2014, 07:46 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

What is your current setup?

Stock lol
Old 04-01-2014, 07:48 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

At least go with LCA's and a UCA

Old 04-02-2014, 08:04 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Lots of good info in here. Hey not to thread hijack but I have a question for Rap. I've been told before not to leave the nitrous bottle in the car if it gets to hot outside due to pressue being built up which is somethign that worries me. I live in Kentucky and the weather out here is unpredictable. We can be 100 degrees one day and 60 the next. Where I to get nitrous, would it need to be taken out of the car during the hot days when I'm not driving it or is their other safety precautions that can be taken?
610swolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:25 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Yes if it gets to hot, the safety valve is supposed to open at 1500+ psi. Leaving all the nitrous in your trunk, or if you have a blow down tube it will set it outside the car vs in it. Best bet is to take it out of the car when it gets hot. I will show you a picture of my pressure after only being left in the car for aboit 2 hours tops in 95°+ heat.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1396452311270.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	152669  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT