Which Air Intake would you pick? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

View Poll Results: Which CAI would you choose?
K&N 3 23.08%
AirRaid 9 69.23%
BBK 1 7.69%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-01-2014, 11:19 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Which Air Intake would you pick?

Ive been tryin to decide between a K&N, AirRaid, or BBK CAI. Im looking to get a nice HP Gain and a few extra MPG! Any suggestions?
Cam Capollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2014, 11:28 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

I've got a bbk on mine and I love it!
cgibbs7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 11:32 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgibbs7 View Post
I've got a bbk on mine and I love it!
Did u get a MPG gain?? Which type(chrome, titanium, etc.) did u get?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2014, 11:40 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I have a C&L cai, but I did not see a mpg increase. This is because my foot got heavier when I put this cai and tune on.
2008 GT/CS - {SLP Loudmouth Axle Back Exhaust- SR Strut Tower Brace - Raxiom Sequential Tail Light Kit - C&L Street CAI - Bama Tune - FRPP Lowering Springs - FRPP Rear Sway Bar - FRPP Struts & Shocks - BMR TCA032 LCAs}
jellyroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 11:42 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I haven't dynoed mine but I think I got a hp gain. Mine is an insulated tube.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:46 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellyroll View Post
I have a C&L cai, but I did not see a mpg increase. This is because my foot got heavier when I put this cai and tune on.
lol.. Yea i understand! I want a few more mpg cuz I drive on da highway alot when i go to and from school.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:47 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgibbs7 View Post
I haven't dynoed mine but I think I got a hp gain. Mine is an insulated tube.
So would it be best to get a tune with any CAI?
Old 04-01-2014, 11:48 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Yes, it helps a lot
Old 04-01-2014, 11:51 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
^+1
2008 GT/CS - {SLP Loudmouth Axle Back Exhaust- SR Strut Tower Brace - Raxiom Sequential Tail Light Kit - C&L Street CAI - Bama Tune - FRPP Lowering Springs - FRPP Rear Sway Bar - FRPP Struts & Shocks - BMR TCA032 LCAs}
jellyroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:02 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Ok kool, and do I HAVE to buy a tuner or could i go somewhere to get dis done?
Old 04-01-2014, 12:56 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I have K&N. I love it. You CAN just stick on a CAI and use it, but you won't get the full potential without a tune. That being said, you might want to more power mods before tuning your car so it wraps up the whole package.
Old 04-01-2014, 01:09 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
I throw my vote, out of the ones you've listed, at the AirRaid intake.

Up until yesterday I did a lot of research on that filter and decided I was going to get it along with the Bama Tuner. Then I watched a video from American Muscle showing the difference between "Racing" intakes and "Standard" intakes.

Basically the standard intake replaces the factory intake and no tune is required as the air/gas ratios aren't changed too much, in other words it allows more air in but not enough for anything to need changing. In fact, some of these types of CAI have an insert in them that restricts airflow if you don't plan on doing a tune, but can be removed later if you wish to use a tune. Basically a hybrid CAI.

The racing intakes allow enough air in that a tune is needed to change the ratios. This only seems like the logical route if you're main goal is a performance increase of any kind, i.e acceleration or MPG.

Moment of reflection for me, I want the best performance and MPG. So I looked for an intake that needed a tune and found the Steeda CAI. For just a little more money you get close to double the HP and with a Bama 87 or performance tune should naturally see an increase in MPG, how much, I don't know. But it seems that any quality CAI and appropriate tune has yielded slightly higher MPG's after reading dozens of reviews.
007Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 01:29 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007Stang View Post
I throw my vote, out of the ones you've listed, at the AirRaid intake.

Up until yesterday I did a lot of research on that filter and decided I was going to get it along with the Bama Tuner. Then I watched a video from American Muscle showing the difference between "Racing" intakes and "Standard" intakes.

Basically the standard intake replaces the factory intake and no tune is required as the air/gas ratios aren't changed too much, in other words it allows more air in but not enough for anything to need changing. In fact, some of these types of CAI have an insert in them that restricts airflow if you don't plan on doing a tune, but can be removed later if you wish to use a tune. Basically a hybrid CAI.

The racing intakes allow enough air in that a tune is needed to change the ratios. This only seems like the logical route if you're main goal is a performance increase of any kind, i.e acceleration or MPG.

Moment of reflection for me, I want the best performance and MPG. So I looked for an intake that needed a tune and found the Steeda CAI. For just a little more money you get close to double the HP and with a Bama 87 or performance tune should naturally see an increase in MPG, how much, I don't know. But it seems that any quality CAI and appropriate tune has yielded slightly higher MPG's after reading dozens of reviews.
OK, this is helpful! Da only performace mods i had in mind so far were going to be the X-pipe Long tubes, CAI, lowering springs, & a throttle body flow.. I guess I can get da tune afterwards huh..?
Old 04-01-2014, 04:45 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Jlt 3

end thread

2007 Ford Mustang GT 5spd
Brenspeed tune, JLT 3, Hurst shifter, 4.10s
O/R Xpipe, 15x8 Jeg Stars with Micky Thompsons
BaSohol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 05:14 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I got Hypertech power programmer, and then added airaid. The programmer has an option for airaid users (with/without insert). So you get tuned right, no matter your choice.

no change on gaz mileage.

But after that, I measured a clear +5% mpg after adding BBK TB.

Looking forward to a dyno run, where I will test both programs (with and without insert in the airaid).
*previous 1990 Taurus SHO 3L Yamaha Shogun
*previous : life was boring !
UP North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 05:39 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

If you call AM they will have the best possible hp./tq. numbers for a cold air intake with tune. I only have a 99-04 AM book so I am not able to tell you. The numbers are the selling point and all AM reps can tell you.

Example 99-04 v-8
JLT cai 30 hp. 32 tq
BBK cai 31 hp. 47 tq.
AIRAID cai 34 hp. 55 tq.

new engine,1.7 rocker arms,Pipes exhaust, shorty cats , shorty headers,under drive and overdrive pulleys,4.2 upper plenum, throttle body spacer, cold air intake, stage one clutch, shorty shifter, and tune. 8.8 in storage
samuelsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 06:05 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I would keep the stock air box so that I could be positive that I'm not actually going to LOSE some power with a CAI, and take the money that I was going to use to buy the CAI, combine it with the tuner money, and add some more money... Then go find a reputable shop to dyno tune the car.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 05:16 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Here is what I got today, just out of a (long) Dyno session, to optimise my programmer setting. Best setting with hypertech is premium fuel and 'air aid without insert', taking for granted that I already have BBK 90 mm TB and Borla attack exhaust system.

power : 404 HP @ 6475 rpm, peak is flat until the end of the curve at 6763 RPM
torque : 401 pi-lbf @ 4375 rpm.

This is with a very thin error margin of error (roughly one, sometimes two HP no more along the whole curve) if your compare all 3 tests for each setting.

I had guessed 470 motor HP over the stock 412. I probably have that, or maybe even more !!!!
*previous 1990 Taurus SHO 3L Yamaha Shogun
*previous : life was boring !
UP North is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT