do you think mustangs are getting more import-y? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-07-2014, 07:04 AM   #1
Road Trip!

Region: Other
do you think mustangs are getting more import-y?

Comparing to like the 60s/70s, ride height is getting lower, rims are getting bigger, lights are getting brighter and bluer... but to me ghost lamps and interior LEDs are the bigger things. But as they say, if you like it it doesn't matter what others think, but I do know I wanted to get some of these things a few years ago and everyone called it rice, now they come stock from the factory.
Vaiit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2014, 10:27 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
The first mustang was marketed as Euro-styling. American car mfg have had to deal with Euro styling cues forever and then in the 70's they got hit with Japanese quality and lower cost. I think you see these influences in all of the cars.

I believe that they are running out of add ons to attract buyers. Today's cars come with descent stereos, electric locks & windows, automatic tranny, leather seats, nav, etc.. Those options are almost standard on mid-level cars. So now they're trying to attract young buyers with other options. I think in today's market, if they thought free clown shoes would sell the car, they'd offer it.

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:46 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
As Aggiesrok said, the original Mustang was pushed as a European-styled American sports car (Ferrari 250 GTE anyone?). I don't think that Mustangs are getting import-y, but just changing with the times. HIDs, bigger rims, tighter/lower suspension, and interior lighting are all products of the time. Cars across the board are getting the same treatment. Styling as a whole is completely different than it used to be. I will say that I don't like all of it. For instance, bagging a car and having it sit a half inch above the ground just seems pointless to me and makes it look like it literally has no suspension, in my humble opinion. And rims over 19 inches are not my cup of tea either!
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2014, 07:00 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
I agree at least on the interior lights. Personally I couldn't stand the Ambient lighting my Bullitt or the 2010 have. Lowering to a point doesn't bother me, it helps with handling and aerodynamics. TO me rice is the giant fart can exhaust that makes the car sound like a lawn more or toy airplane, wings, the larger the more ricey and the rubber band tires that are well under a 40 aspect ratio and I'd throw in underbody LED's.
BBK LT headers, fuel rail and UD pullies
Hurst Shifter
Lowered with upgraded rear suspension
Galaxie64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:32 PM   #5
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
It's just the changing times. People change so they change the cars to meet our new likes and expectations.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:35 PM   #6
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixBanger View Post
As Aggiesrok said, the original Mustang was pushed as a European-styled American sports car (Ferrari 250 GTE anyone?). I don't think that Mustangs are getting import-y, but just changing with the times. HIDs, bigger rims, tighter/lower suspension, and interior lighting are all products of the time. Cars across the board are getting the same treatment. Styling as a whole is completely different than it used to be. I will say that I don't like all of it. For instance, bagging a car and having it sit a half inch above the ground just seems pointless to me and makes it look like it literally has no suspension, in my humble opinion. And rims over 19 inches are not my cup of tea either!

Think about performance though. You can't even fit your fist under new Lamborghini's and they have damn amazing performance. It's just how the lowering is done. And there are pros and cons to bigger wheels. Corvettes and Ford GTs are 2 cars that I know of that run a larger diameter and wider wheel in the rear than the front (my parents corvette came stock 17s up front and 18s in back.... Ford GT had 19s or so in back I believe)

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:40 PM   #7
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
I love the new stuff although I hate tacky aftermarket stuff trying to imitate it. Some stuff is good like all the LED lighting conversions, I personally HATE standard size SN95 wheels so mine are closer to S197 size and my car is lowered and my wheels do not bulge over the rim lips at all. I'm doing a touchscreen at some point soon that will link right into my phone and who knows what else.

But agreed that everything nowadays has stuff standard that you couldn't even find on BMW 7 series 10 years ago, cars are starting to get more and more high tech and performance oriented. Even your basic 4 door sedans usually have engine options pushing up near/over 300hp. And who the hell would have ever thought HYUNDAI would be what it is now? Even Kias are nice. Hell I'd rather have a Hyundai or Kia over anything GM makes minus the Vette and that's very sad for GM. I know I'm not the only one that feels this way either.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT