2005 gt reliability? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-12-2014, 07:08 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
2005 gt reliability?

So before everyone starts bashing, yes I am 18 and my parent is buying a car for me. The deal was that if I could get into a nice college and get a decent amount of scholarship money, I get to pick a car for myself. Plus, I already paid for my current car (my 2000 v6) by working my Sophmore and Junior years in high school. Sorry for the story, just tired of hearing the same old stuff over and over lol.
So anyway, I am looking at a 2005 gt premium. The mileage is going to be bad, but the mileage on my current v6 isnt good by any stretch, especially after 130k miles. I just want to know if it will be reliable as I am going to a university thats about a 5 hour drive from my home. Any common problems with this model? I dont really see a lot of 2005s around, is that a bad thing? Are there problems since it was the first year of that model? I cant spend too much over 15k, and this is honestly one of the lowest mileage cars around here for that price. Any help would be really appreciated!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
black_stang96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2014, 07:11 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Some pics. I fall in love with this thing the more I see it haha

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1397347831684.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	153718   Click image for larger version

Name:	1397347845153.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	153719  

Name:	1397347858495.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	153720   Click image for larger version

Name:	1397347871400.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	153721  

Old 04-12-2014, 07:44 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

A 2005 should be between 80-90k miles if you go by the 10,000 miles a year thing. My 05 was 17,995 but I got 6k for my trade and it had lower miles. So far haven't had any problems and love it if you can get it for a good price with decent miles I'd say do it you wont regret it. On a side note women love mustangs

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
DrSir is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2014, 08:29 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSir View Post
A 2005 should be between 80-90k miles if you go by the 10,000 miles a year thing. My 05 was 17,995 but I got 6k for my trade and it had lower miles. So far haven't had any problems and love it if you can get it for a good price with decent miles I'd say do it you wont regret it. On a side note women love mustangs

This one has around 36k miles, which is pretty low for an 05 in my opinion. Its listed just under $15k, so I was hoping to be able to get it down to $10k maybe with the trade in of my current car. I dont know if a dealer would even be interested in taking a 2000 v6 with 130k miles though lol. And thats my plan for all the college girls next fall haha. Thanks for the reply by the way!

Old 04-12-2014, 08:33 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Its just a shame its an auto, but that sweet red interior makes up for it

Old 04-12-2014, 08:37 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSir View Post
Its just a shame its an auto, but that sweet red interior makes up for it

Thats actually one of the criteria I need for the car lol. The university im going to is right outside of D.C. and has tons of traffic around it. I dont hear good things from people driving manuals in heavy traffic areas haha. And I do love that interior. It just pops!

Old 04-12-2014, 08:39 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
That thing is a puff lol! I would def get it as long as u get it for a good deal
G3ARH3AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 08:47 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by G3ARH3AD View Post
That thing is a puff lol! I would def get it as long as u get it for a good deal
A puff? Sorry, ive never heard of that before lol. Ill take it as a good thing though! And as long as its on the lot a month from now, I think ill be getting it haha

Old 04-12-2014, 08:52 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Well here in old sc when some 1 says puff or cream puff means its a well maintained older car lol. Btw looks very clean i may add
G3ARH3AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 10:27 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to KATO
That Looks good, and 36K is not bad at all. Looks like it was kept up and that's the best idea of all: Keeping the maintenance up, Tune ups, Oil changes, Fluids etc. That way you will never have any problems. Mine is a 2007, that I got in 2010, and I have had "0" problems, even with Mods that I have done.
Old 04-13-2014, 01:31 AM   #11

Region: Pennsylvania
Prices have been dropping on '05 S197s. That $14883 is pretty spot on asking price for that model and mileage around here and figure the lower mileage (sub 40K mile) cars were summer driver toys only and most likely stored in winters so they should be in pretty good shape. Shop around, w/ the weather breaking there should be more cars coming up for sale, there may be better examples out there. Might wanna wait, pick and choose the right colors, options, mods etc. ... for the best price. Most S197 owners are meticulous about maintenance but check for records. Figure $2K minimum for your trade value w/ a dealer, more depending on options and condition. Selling it yourself will bring more but means you do the detail and any repairs for the best sale. That's a nice '05 shown in the AT ad, a plus for the appearance mods, looks great in Satin Silver. As far as service: get the plugs serviced and watch the parking brake cables as they can bind w/ age, the rest should be routine maintenance.
Fasted58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 04:09 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasted58 View Post
Prices have been dropping on '05 S197s. That $14883 is pretty spot on asking price for that model and mileage around here and figure the lower mileage (sub 40K mile) cars were summer driver toys only and most likely stored in winters so they should be in pretty good shape. Shop around, w/ the weather breaking there should be more cars coming up for sale, there may be better examples out there. Might wanna wait, pick and choose the right colors, options, mods etc. ... for the best price. Most S197 owners are meticulous about maintenance but check for records. Figure $2K minimum for your trade value w/ a dealer, more depending on options and condition. Selling it yourself will bring more but means you do the detail and any repairs for the best sale. That's a nice '05 shown in the AT ad, a plus for the appearance mods, looks great in Satin Silver. As far as service: get the plugs serviced and watch the parking brake cables as they can bind w/ age, the rest should be routine maintenance.
Thanks for the info man! Do you know about what type of mileage it will get on the highway? I think edmunds said something like 23, which is actually more than my 2000 v6 is getting, so it would be cool to upgrade to a bigger engine AND save on gas haha.

Old 04-13-2014, 04:12 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KATO View Post
That Looks good, and 36K is not bad at all. Looks like it was kept up and that's the best idea of all: Keeping the maintenance up, Tune ups, Oil changes, Fluids etc. That way you will never have any problems. Mine is a 2007, that I got in 2010, and I have had "0" problems, even with Mods that I have done.
Thats good to hear. From the looks in the ad it seems like the previous owner kept it up. I cant see any scratches on the ouside or any marks or rips anywhere in the interior. So hopefully someone that is that concerned with appearance would keep it up to date mechanically.

Old 04-13-2014, 04:42 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

As long as you keep your foot out of it, which is harder than one would think you should get around 20mpg average. It could be lower or higher depending on mods it has

Old 04-14-2014, 10:50 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
You can have my 05 GT premium for 14k, it is an auto, but my mileage is just over 47k.
Wolverine0587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 10:52 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I think that's not a bad deal at all I just gave 14900 for my 07 grabber orange gt with 80 k
AnconaGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 01:53 AM   #17

I got my 2005 GT at 134,000 km around to clock in December and already done over 6,000 km. other then few issues due to rust (on exhaust pipe) or age, if you keep her checked and maintained, especially with low mileage you should be perfectly alright.

It is a real head turner

she maybe a good candidate to become a classic within time. Check the link
http://www.pistonheads.com/doc.asp?c=161&i=29266

Fully agree with DrSir's comment, it will be a babe magnet.

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1397544721.621899.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	154027

Hope you get it and enjoy the ride
leonoracemugur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 12:19 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to Borii
The V8 is significantly more reliable than the V6. As far as the history of many Ford cars being problematic, that really doesn't apply as much to the V8s. Additionaly, the main issues are usually non mechanical in nature such as aesthetics or accessories etc.

I think You'll find comparable MPG.

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Borii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 04:41 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Love mine. Mileage isn't bad eitherClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1397857266.483969.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	824.0 KB
ID:	154419
Mark221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 05:10 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by black_stang96 View Post
Thats actually one of the criteria I need for the car lol. The university im going to is right outside of D.C. and has tons of traffic around it. I dont hear good things from people driving manuals in heavy traffic areas haha. And I do love that interior. It just pops!

Dude are you going to UMD?
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 07:53 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixBanger View Post
Dude are you going to UMD?
No, im going to GMU. So its a little bit from D.C. but I here the traffic is still pretty bad in the Fairfax area.

Old 04-18-2014, 07:56 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for all the responses guys! I was expecting at least a few poor commemts about the car, but seeing everyone talk positively about it just makes me even more excited about it! Haha. It just needs to stay on the lot a few more weeks!

Old 04-18-2014, 07:57 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Good luck! I found mine and by the next day almost missed it.
Wolverine0587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:24 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No, im going to GMU. So its a little bit from D.C. but I here the traffic is still pretty bad in the Fairfax area.

Oh sweet. I go to UMD now which is 10-15 min from DC and I feel your pain about the traffic. Funny thing is all the crap that would drive normal drivers crazy happens day in and day out here to the point that I don't even notice it anymore. Lol

---------- Post added at 09:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 PM ----------

Quote:
Thanks for all the responses guys! I was expecting at least a few poor commemts about the car, but seeing everyone talk positively about it just makes me even more excited about it! Haha. It just needs to stay on the lot a few more weeks!

If you really were banking on something negative I can whip something up for you if you want. Lmao jk
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
Old 04-18-2014, 08:47 PM   #25

Region: Pennsylvania
May be nothin' wrong w/ waiting some. I saved a '05 Satin Silver Premium GT to my AutoTrader last year but at $18K was way outta range. Weeks later the Ford dealer dropped it to $17K... still meh. Few more weeks later I stumbled across the bottom line price drop at a little over $15K. I was there within an hour. The salesman wasn't even aware of the current price, he confirmed w/ the sales manager and it was mine. Very clean w/ records, obviously garage kept, no rain/ snow example w/ 45K miles. New Hurst shifter and Magnaflow axle-backs to boot.

As my summer DD I haven't put my foot in it very much at all w/ my 45-55 mph 15 mile commute. MPG has been a low of 20.5 w/ a high of 22.5. I have a tune and CAI now so that may very well change.

Put the car up on jack stands last night for lowering springs, struts, shocks etc. You might want to budget some mod money for upgrades down the road. It can become addictive.
Fasted58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 10:21 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasted58 View Post
May be nothin' wrong w/ waiting some. I saved a '05 Satin Silver Premium GT to my AutoTrader last year but at $18K was way outta range. Weeks later the Ford dealer dropped it to $17K... still meh. Few more weeks later I stumbled across the bottom line price drop at a little over $15K. I was there within an hour. The salesman wasn't even aware of the current price, he confirmed w/ the sales manager and it was mine. Very clean w/ records, obviously garage kept, no rain/ snow example w/ 45K miles. New Hurst shifter and Magnaflow axle-backs to boot.

As my summer DD I haven't put my foot in it very much at all w/ my 45-55 mph 15 mile commute. MPG has been a low of 20.5 w/ a high of 22.5. I have a tune and CAI now so that may very well change.

Put the car up on jack stands last night for lowering springs, struts, shocks etc. You might want to budget some mod money for upgrades down the road. It can become addictive.
I have actually been looking at this one for a while. When I first saw it listed it was a little over 16k and over a month it has slowly dropped in price to where it is now. Hopefully in the next few weeks itll drop a little bit more and no on will snatch it before I do! Haha. And hopefully ill be able to resist the mods until I have some money of my own coming in. Ive had my 2000 v6 for just over a year now and have resisted doing anything to it so far lol.

Old 04-18-2014, 10:35 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixBanger View Post
Oh sweet. I go to UMD now which is 10-15 min from DC and I feel your pain about the traffic. Funny thing is all the crap that would drive normal drivers crazy happens day in and day out here to the point that I don't even notice it anymore. Lol

---------- Post added at 09:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 PM ----------

If you really were banking on something negative I can whip something up for you if you want. Lmao jk
Thats awesome! I hear great things about UMD, and was actually thinking of applying there at one point. I just kinda fell towards GMU when I visited there, plus in-state tuition can really sway an opinion haha.
Im guessing the traffic you have to go through is even worse than what ill be seeing. Im coming from a pretty rural town in southern VA, so itll be a pretty drastic difference as far as driving goes lol

Old 04-19-2014, 10:41 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

2005 gt reliability?

Quote:
Thats awesome! I hear great things about UMD, and was actually thinking of applying there at one point. I just kinda fell towards GMU when I visited there, plus in-state tuition can really sway an opinion haha.
Im guessing the traffic you have to go through is even worse than what ill be seeing. Im coming from a pretty rural town in southern VA, so itll be a pretty drastic difference as far as driving goes lol

Yep my tuition is in-state as well. My first choice was JMU but out-of-state tuition was wayyyy too expensive. It worked out though because I love UMD. I'm finishing up my 2nd year now. I didn't apply to GMU but have heard it's an awesome school. Congrats!
Old 04-20-2014, 07:53 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
There is a guy who put 1.2 million miles on his 4.6 he has a 2007 GT , the motor
is very reliable .
gladiatoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 09:39 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Your going to GMU? So am I.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 09:51 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
Your going to GMU? So am I.
Awesome! Maybe we can cruise sometime!! Haha. Whats your major if you dont mind me asking?

---------- Post added at 09:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:50 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladiatoro View Post
There is a guy who put 1.2 million miles on his 4.6 he has a 2007 GT , the motor
is very reliable .
That is just purely amazing. Haha

Old 04-20-2014, 09:59 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Nah, I don't mind, I was gonna ask you the same thing. Mine is Criminal justice.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
Old 04-20-2014, 01:19 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Nah, I don't mind, I was gonna ask you the same thing. Mine is Criminal justice.
Nice, im going into CS (Computer Science) myself. Im staying in Presidents Park at least my first year. So if you see that 05 gt, or if I dont end up getting that, ill be in my 00 black v6, let me know! Haha

Old 04-20-2014, 02:13 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Nice, im going into CS (Computer Science) myself. Im staying in Presidents Park at least my first year. So if you see that 05 gt, or if I dont end up getting that, ill be in my 00 black v6, let me know! Haha

Sure thing, look for a Red candy 13 GT, with tinted windows and tail lights, black wheels, and black exhaust tips.
Old 04-20-2014, 02:26 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Lol I'm a Criminology & Criminal Justice major. Nice choice. I went in as Gov't and Politics but switched.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT