Factory security system going off - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-16-2014, 10:12 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Factory security system going off

I'm having issues with the factory security system. It all of a sudden started randomly started going off at 2 in the morning last night. I got my key fob out got it to shut off. Then at about 10 this morning it started randomly going off again as I was pulling back in driveway. It stopped on it's own then 2 minutes later started going off again. This has happened like 2 years ago when I first bought the car. Hasn't done it much since. Was wondering if anyone knew what the problem was and how to fix it. Any help is greatly appericated.
rangerbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2014, 10:24 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
First thing I would do is unplug battery make sure wires aren't corroded etc, then move to the fuse box, check fuses. Simply things like that can fix big issues.
AnconaGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:00 AM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
Most likely issue is the underhood sensor at the passenger side strut tower. It is most exposed to elements and goes bad. About $35 for a replacement

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2014, 11:02 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnconaGT View Post
First thing I would do is unplug battery make sure wires aren't corroded etc, then move to the fuse box, check fuses. Simply things like that can fix big issues.
I just put battery back in last week. I had it out for the winter. The terminals are clean. I'll check fuse box and fuses
Old 04-16-2014, 11:05 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Most likely issue is the underhood sensor at the passenger side strut tower. It is most exposed to elements and goes bad. About $35 for a replacement

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk
Can you post pick of what the sensor looks like.
Old 05-04-2014, 07:10 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I think I have this problem solved. I talked to a mechanic about this issue. He said that since I only had 1 key that I probably needed to get another one and have it programmed. So thats what I've done. Hopefully my issue is resolved.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:44 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

The keys probably have nothing to do with the random alarm. The car doesn't know how many you have in your possession, only how many are programmed to it. If you had the other key and leave it in a drawer in your bedroom upstairs it isn't going to have any effect upon the alarm the system. I had three keys in my possession and programmed to my 2006 and the alarm went off randomly; the number of keys you own has nothing to do with the random security alarm. It was the underhood sensor.

Did you check the underhood sensor? That is the most common cause of the random alarm problem. It is the most exposed and the first to fail.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:49 PM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerbert View Post
Can you post pick of what the sensor looks like.
I don't have a picture. But it is located between the shock tower and fuse box on the passenger side. It looks like a plunger on a tab from the fender. The hood pushes it down to close the circuit. When it goes bad, the system reads the hood as open, and sets off the alarm.

Edit:
Actually you can see it in this picture -- toward the front of the fuse box and on the tab from the fender.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:10 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The keys probably have nothing to do with the random alarm. The car doesn't know how many you have in your possession, only how many are programmed to it. If you had the other key and leave it in a drawer in your bedroom upstairs it isn't going to have any effect upon the alarm the system. I had three keys in my possession and programmed to my 2006 and the alarm went off randomly; the number of keys you own has nothing to do with the random security alarm. It was the underhood sensor.

Did you check the underhood sensor? That is the most common cause of the random alarm problem. It is the most exposed and the first to fail.
Thank you for the info. I'll keep this in mind. If the alarm goes off again I'll get this sensor changed. Do you know the name of this sensor.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:31 PM   #10
Registered Member

Regular

I don't recall the part name now, and tossed the box with the old sensor in it when I was cleaning the garage last month.

Probably just something like "underhood security sensor" though.

When you hit the lock button on your fob twice does the horn honk once or twice? Mine would go off once at times, and then when the alarm went off and I reset it the horn would do a double honk. That means that a sensor somewhere is showing open. Since I knew that both doors were closed, I checked the trunk and then hood, closed everything up and sometimes would get the double honk again; so I knew that some sensor was bad.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:11 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to KATO
Have your Battery tested for it's Charging. Since you've had it out for awhile, it might not be up to par or time for a new one.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:50 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I don't recall the part name now, and tossed the box with the old sensor in it when I was cleaning the garage last month.

Probably just something like "underhood security sensor" though.

When you hit the lock button on your fob twice does the horn honk once or twice? Mine would go off once at times, and then when the alarm went off and I reset it the horn would do a double honk. That means that a sensor somewhere is showing open. Since I knew that both doors were closed, I checked the trunk and then hood, closed everything up and sometimes would get the double honk again; so I knew that some sensor was bad.
Thanks for the info. After reading your post here I went and and checked how many times my horn honked after hitting the lock button on my key fob. It was twice. I'm pretty sure it's always been twice but not 100% certain.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:04 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to Borii
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerbert View Post
Thanks for the info. After reading your post here I went and and checked how many times my horn honked after hitting the lock button on my key fob. It was twice. I'm pretty sure it's always been twice but not 100% certain.
Bingo. Twice means something is open. Even if it truly isn't. Sensor for sure.

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Borii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 10:09 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borii View Post
Bingo. Twice means something is open. Even if it truly isn't. Sensor for sure.

Thank you for the info.
Old 07-27-2014, 02:07 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Ok guys I've replaced the sensor that JimC had mentioned as to why the car would randomly be going off. When I hit the lock button twice on key fob the horn honked once which means the circuit is closed. Well the car alarm is still going off randomly. This has happened the other day while at work. Then again this morning. Anybody know why this is still happening.
Old 07-27-2014, 03:52 PM   #16
Registered Member

Regular

Could be the internal sensor. There is a control module in the map light
Old 07-27-2014, 07:13 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I believe I figured out the problem. This is dumb on my part. I think the problem was I was accidentally setting the alarm off myself while the keys were in my pocket. I thought I was out of signal range. I always thought I had to be closer than I was to make the alarm go off.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:42 PM   #18

Region: North Carolina
I hope that was your cure for seating off the alarm. My alarm went off several times during the night and I couldnt figure what the problem was...until day light I found a moth in the back seat...Im sure it was flying around inside setting off the alarm. Got rid of the moth and the alarm never went off again.
gt.cs crazy is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT