Exhaust question? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-06-2014, 10:45 PM   #1

Exhaust question?

Hey guys I'm sorry for posting a topic that's surely been discussed a lot but I'm wondering if someone can help me with a question. I purchased a '09 mustang GT with 13k miles on her back before Christmas and I'm itching to make her louder.

I purchased the extended warranty thru ford from my dealer so I'm kind of nervous about modding it afraid I'll void this warranty I bought.

However, is it possible to put a off-road x pipe in deleting the cats without throwing a check engine code? I'm worried that a tuner will void the warranty. Or, is there a way to reset the computer to not throw a code? I also seen AM has flow master outlaw axle back pipes on sell right now so thinking of them too.
Cowboy105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2014, 10:50 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Tunes don't automatically void warranty. Only if a problem with the engine happens can they legally blame a tune, and they have to prove it causes the failure. I think a tune is the only way to turn off a CEL, other than taking it the the dealer... Which you don't want to do since you are deleting the cats.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 10:51 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
An O/R pipe will throw a CEL
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2014, 08:37 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to Borii
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
Tunes don't automatically void warranty. Only if a problem with the engine happens can they legally blame a tune, and they have to prove it causes the failure. I think a tune is the only way to turn off a CEL, other than taking it the the dealer... Which you don't want to do since you are deleting the cats.
This isn't completely true. Most if not all warranty contracts state that any modification reserves the right for voiding the warranty. That is the only real legal parameter.

Suing them is a personal battle as suing successfully would cost more than the warranty.

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Borii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:49 AM   #5

The one girl I asked at the dealer told me that "any modification voids the warranty to any part of the car the modification could affect." However I don't know if she knew what she was talking about.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:51 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy105 View Post
The one girl I asked at the dealer told me that "any modification voids the warranty to any part of the car the modification could affect." However I don't know if she knew what she was talking about.
Yes she is correct. Simple if you are worried about your warranty stay stock.

Also you will waste all your time trying to sue a dealership, over modifications and voiding warranty. They will win

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:01 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to Borii
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
Yes she is correct. Simple if you are worried about your warranty stay stock.

Also you will waste all your time trying to sue a dealership, over modifications and voiding warranty. They will win

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Absolutely, OP. You'd be suing THEM so you'd so you'd have to prove that you're knowledgeable enough to disprove whoever Ford sends, be it an engineer or a service tech. They wouldn't be proving the opposite.

That being said, it all depends on the dealer, mechanic and manager and even brand.

In 2003 my friend was dropping Celica off to get service and he mis shifted it practically destroying the engine. The dealer fixed it and told me to "be careful".

Anyone with a hint of car knowledge knows that there is no way I accidentally bent 16 valves lol.

To the opposite effect, my GF's mother had a 2001 Kia Rio with 10/100k warranty. The car would foul the same plug every few thousand miles. Warranty would just fix the plug and send her on her way. When she finally spoke to a manger saying to FIX it not remedy it, they asked her for oil change receipts. She had the dealer do them all up to 39,000 miles when her free oil changes expired. She then had 1 of 2 receipts for the next 2 oil changes and they voided her warranty at 48,000 miles because she did not have the receipt fo rthe oil change at 45,5XX.

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Borii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:42 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I spoke with a Ford service manager a year or so ago about mods. She said even installing Ford brand parts can void the warranty if that part caused the issue. Basically the warranty exists for the car as it exists stock. It mostly depends on the dealership, like anything else. Some are more concerned with customer service and future sales, while others only exist to screw people out of every dollar possible. Most people blow through the 36k miles way before 3 years anyway.

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:58 PM   #9

Well I actually purchased this with 13k miles and it's a 09 but they offered me a extended warranty of 5 yr 75k miles bumper to bumper starting day of purchase. IMO that's a pretty good warranty.
Old 05-08-2014, 04:14 PM   #10

Went to the dealer today and talked to them. (It helps that my company purchases like 3-5 trucks a yr and services them all with them I believe.

The maintenance manager told me this "If it was mine I'd do exhaust, I won't void your warranty because of that. You can do whatever you want too it and I'll fix any problems as long as it doesn't turn into something I can't fix."

So looks like I'm gonna be purchasing some exhaust! I'm looking at the flow master Outlaw series really hard. Anyone else have these?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Tags
exhaust