used car tune question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-23-2014, 01:40 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
used car tune question

I just recently bought a 2008 gt and it has a CNL intake along with a aftermarket mass air which im sure probably required tuning. problem being the car came with no tuner.... what would happen if I bought a tuner and tried changing the tune if it was already previously tuned?
winslow16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2014, 01:59 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to Borii
I believe the car has to be returned to stock prior to over writing a tune? Worst case, Ford can return to stock if necessary.

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Borii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 02:32 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

but now if that's the case then what do I do if the parts on the car do actually require a tune. if they flash it back to stock what happens when they start the car to drive it back outside
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2014, 02:52 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to Borii
Then don't do it until you enroll in a tune program.

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Borii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 03:04 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to KATO
Even with your Car changed back to Stock, you will be able to drive it home, probably will not run smooth, but will run, then just get a Tuner yourself. But First, you aren't 100% sure the car has been Retuned, so have the Ford shop or a Performance Co. tell you if the car has been Tuned before you take it in to be turned back to Stock.
Old 05-23-2014, 07:37 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

i actually found out the shop that tuned it so all is well now.
Old 05-24-2014, 12:21 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Good for you.
Old 05-24-2014, 12:23 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

So, what All was done to it, in the Tune?
Old 05-24-2014, 09:19 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I have to call the shop to get more info but what I do know is it's tuned for the c&l intake, 23lb injectors (stock is 19lb right), and kooks catted lobgtubes.

Sent from my HTCONE using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 05-24-2014, 05:59 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Just get that Shop to Rewrite the Tune, with the additions since the original Tune. That should be easy for them to do, you may/will have to pay them though.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:11 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

yea I talked to the shop and they said if they still have the tune on file then it will just be the cost of the hand held to put the tune on their but if they don't and they have to retune the car it will be the cost of the handheld plus dyno
Old 05-27-2014, 10:15 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Why did they have bigger injectors in the car? Tell tell sign that there was more done to it at one point.

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 10:40 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
Why did they have bigger injectors in the car? Tell tell sign that there was more done to it at one point.

will do. right now im waiting for the dyno sheets to be emailed over and I gave him the previous owners name that I found in the Bluetooth settings and he was telling me what they installed from the info they had on file.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:51 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

"Rapinator126" might be right about that car having Larger Injectors, something else Might have been done to it, but not necessarily though.
Old 05-27-2014, 11:01 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
1. Something else was done to the car at one time.

2. Some kid owned the car b4 and thought larger injectors would help performance.

Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 07:45 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

i called the shop back and they sent me the list of parts they installed. kooks long tubes, x pipe, c&l intake, 4.10s, and the tune. they didnt say anything about injectors and they they would have to look at whats written on the MAF. he told me they had all the records still since the last owner first brought the car there
Old 05-27-2014, 08:07 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Things they say you have, I have on mine, with no large Injectors. How do you know you have larger Injectors? When they wrote that Tune for your car, they would have had to know about Larger Injectors in order to write that into the Tune.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:22 PM   #18
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
1. Something else was done to the car at one time.

2. Some kid owned the car b4 and thought larger injectors would help performance.

I'd vote option 2 since going from 19 to 24lb isn't going to do jack **** for forced induction and I doubt someone would pull out cams but you never know. I honestly don't even know if the 3V needs bigger injectors for hot cams.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:17 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Easy way is to see what color the injectors are. I haven't kept up lately but the different injectors used to be color coded, 24lb was blue at one time. MY guess would be if they are larger someone thought it would adds power somehow. PO of my '10 put an after market fuel rail on mine that afaik does absolutely nothing given my mods but makes the under hood look better.
BBK LT headers, fuel rail and UD pullies
Hurst Shifter
Lowered with upgraded rear suspension
Galaxie64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:59 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KATO View Post
Things they say you have, I have on mine, with no large Injectors. How do you know you have larger Injectors? When they wrote that Tune for your car, they would have had to know about Larger Injectors in order to write that into the Tune.
I was mainly guessing because on the mass air it had big daddy performance and it has a hand written serial number ect. Then at the bottom it says 23lb.

Old 05-28-2014, 08:10 AM   #21
Staff
Regular
Staff

Ugh... Big Daddy aka overpriced jackasses.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 05-28-2014, 10:19 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Ugh... Big Daddy aka overpriced jackasses.
Well technically I didn't cost me a penny yet lol but I haven't heard anything bad about that shop so I really don't mind spending a little extra to make sure something is done right the first time. Not saying I would spend double but I'm sure you understand.

Old 05-28-2014, 11:27 AM   #23
Staff
Regular
Staff

I went there with my 95 and they basically called me stupid (not outright but might as well have) for tuning a 94/95 computer. Said I should put my A9L back in, that they required an adjustable FPR for tuning (you don't for what I was doing) and then quoted me $1k for a full dyno tune. I laughed at them and left. Borrowed my FIL's car dolly and towed it 1 hour south to Radical Racing who had the thing running great for $600 including a diablosport chip. That was just one experience. And its not just me, a few other ppl I know have had similar experiences with them.

If you are in this area as in the Brick/Lakewood area I'd go with Wicked Performance instead or make the drive down to Radical like I did. Or Tommy Kasper... there are way too many Mustang places in the NJ area for a shop to act like they do and expect people to come back to them over someone else who isn't a ******.

Old 05-28-2014, 12:17 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I went there with my 95 and they basically called me stupid (not outright but might as well have) for tuning a 94/95 computer. Said I should put my A9L back in, that they required an adjustable FPR for tuning (you don't for what I was doing) and then quoted me $1k for a full dyno tune. I laughed at them and left. Borrowed my FIL's car dolly and towed it 1 hour south to Radical Racing who had the thing running great for $600 including a diablosport chip. That was just one experience. And its not just me, a few other ppl I know have had similar experiences with them.

If you are in this area as in the Brick/Lakewood area I'd go with Wicked Performance instead or make the drive down to Radical like I did. Or Tommy Kasper... there are way too many Mustang places in the NJ area for a shop to act like they do and expect people to come back to them over someone else who isn't a ******.
I live like 15min from radical racing. And as far as the kaspers go I would never give them any kind of business. Not saying they do bad work I just know from more then a handful of people that they are horrible business people. But I'm not here to bash and shop because personally I've never had to deal with one. My last mustang I just ordered a Bama tuner and was done with it. I just figured it would be easier to go through big daddy's since they already had worked on and tuned the car

Old 05-28-2014, 05:29 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by winslow16 View Post
I live like 15min from radical racing. And as far as the kaspers go I would never give them any kind of business. Not saying they do bad work I just know from more then a handful of people that they are horrible business people. But I'm not here to bash and shop because personally I've never had to deal with one. My last mustang I just ordered a Bama tuner and was done with it. I just figured it would be easier to go through big daddy's since they already had worked on and tuned the car

I agree with you on that winslow16, at least a point to start at. Just be mindful when they start throwing $$$ at you. Ask 1 thousand questions first. The Big thing for you to do now is: Find out what all you have done to the Car First, then go from there.
Old 05-28-2014, 05:44 PM   #26
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by winslow16 View Post

I've seen some of Kasper's work but never dealt with them personally. I almost bought a 95 Roush in 2003 that Kasper had installed a Vortech on that was making 400 to the wheels and drove great. Was just mentioning them since they are a shop I've heard of in these parts. However I HAVE dealt with Wicked and Radical which is why I recommend them. If you live 15 minutes from Radical then get ahold of Craig and just have him tune it. He'll probably do a better job than "Big Daddy" anyway.

Old 05-28-2014, 07:23 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I've seen some of Kasper's work but never dealt with them personally. I almost bought a 95 Roush in 2003 that Kasper had installed a Vortech on that was making 400 to the wheels and drove great. Was just mentioning them since they are a shop I've heard of in these parts. However I HAVE dealt with Wicked and Radical which is why I recommend them. If you live 15 minutes from Radical then get ahold of Craig and just have him tune it. He'll probably do a better job than "Big Daddy" anyway.
No I appreciate any help I can get on here. I did also email Lund about tuning but I will definitely shop around before deciding anything

Old 05-28-2014, 08:35 PM   #28
Staff
Regular
Staff

Lund is going to probably be your best bet for a canned tune.

Old 05-28-2014, 10:05 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yea I know he's good at what he does. My friend has his 700hp 2012 gt tuned by Lund himself

Old 06-13-2014, 09:33 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Scotty I'm actually going to take a ride over to radical after work today. Spoke to the guy on the phone but going over to figure everything out because the dealer is actually going to pay to get the car retuned because it fail inspection vs converting back to stock so I'm going to go with a new dyno tune vs canned tune.

Old 06-13-2014, 09:52 AM   #31
Staff
Regular
Staff

Did you talk to Craig? Its a shop he has actually down a hill behind his residence. You'd never know it was there if you were just driving down the road until you actually went right past it. IIRC its literally 5 minutes from the track.

Anyway Craig is a really nice guy, he ****ed up his foot like the day before my last dyno day with him and he still went ahead with it no problem, foot in cast and everything lol.

Old 06-13-2014, 10:11 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Did you talk to Craig? Its a shop he has actually down a hill behind his residence. You'd never know it was there if you were just driving down the road until you actually went right past it. IIRC its literally 5 minutes from the track.

Anyway Craig is a really nice guy, he ****ed up his foot like the day before my last dyno day with him and he still went ahead with it no problem, foot in cast and everything lol.
Yea I know where it is. I live 15 minutes from there so I'd say it's pretty convenient lol

Old 06-21-2014, 07:16 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I when to Craig yesterday after work and he tuned it for me. Actually worked out better then the original big daddy's tune. Only issue now is when I pulled up to work this morning my check engine light came on for "General code 21000" and I have no idea what the he'll that is

Old 06-22-2014, 12:56 AM   #34
Staff
Regular
Staff

Google the code and call Craig regardless. He will stand by his work and get you fixed up.

And yes "Big Daddy" is junk. Like I said, I towed a car an hour south to get a tune when they are 10 minutes away from me.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:01 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

I went back and he took care of its. Just had to change something in the tune and load it back on my tuner and I was good to go

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT