Love My 06 Wheels, spacers or not? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-12-2014, 04:07 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Love My 06 Wheels, spacers or not?

I love my 06 factory Bullit gray spoke wheels so I don't want to change them but I do want them moved out closer in line with the fenders. I've heard some nightmare stories about spacers and I wanted to hear from my forum mustang owners that have been using them, problems or not? do you have to cut the studs? Anything to help me decide if it's a safe thing to do or not.
LuvStangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2014, 04:28 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvStangs View Post
I love my 06 factory Bullit gray spoke wheels so I don't want to change them but I do want them moved out closer in line with the fenders. I've heard some nightmare stories about spacers and I wanted to hear from my forum mustang owners that have been using them, problems or not? do you have to cut the studs? Anything to help me decide if it's a safe thing to do or not.
Ran into the problem when i got 1" spacers the stock studs would not clear the spacers ended up having to get 1.5" spares didnt' have any issues after that mines an 05 btw
Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 04:28 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
I've also been considering something hub centric for my factory wheels but have heard mixed reviews. I'd like to keep a decent stance when the Summer wheels come off at the end of the season.

I'll let someone with more insight chime in here but I think the horror stories come from the spacers that you slide in between the wheels and brakes (Just a metal plate) while the hub centric are more secure because you bolt them to the hub and then bolt the wheels to them.
Njcted4Lfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2014, 07:13 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njcted4Lfe View Post
I've also been considering something hub centric for my factory wheels but have heard mixed reviews. I'd like to keep a decent stance when the Summer wheels come off at the end of the season.

I'll let someone with more insight chime in here but I think the horror stories come from the spacers that you slide in between the wheels and brakes (Just a metal plate) while the hub centric are more secure because you bolt them to the hub and then bolt the wheels to them.
hub centric has nothing to do with being bolt on or slip on. hub centric means it matches the hub on the car, and the hub of the wheels to keep the wheels centered when mounting. if you get spacers, longer/stronger studs are recommended.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
C_Dailey95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:30 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
Ran into the problem when i got 1" spacers the stock studs would not clear the spacers ended up having to get 1.5" spares didnt' have any issues after that mines an 05 btw

Did 1.5 put your wheels even with the fender?
Old 06-12-2014, 10:05 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I installed 1" hubcentric wheel spacers on my 09 with the factory 18" wheels moved then out to flush with the fender lip loved the look it gave the car I ran them for over a year with no problems what so ever I got them off of e-bay for like $59 a set shipped I just installed a new set of staggered wheels and Nitto tire's for the summer but will reinstall the spacers and stock wheels for winter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1 wheel spacer.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	159135  

Pypes shorties, BBK catted X, Flowmaster Pro's, K&N CAI, FRPP- P springs, Steeda UCA, J&M Panhard bar, Hurst Comp plus, FR500 Wheels W/NITTO's , SCT SF3 W/BAMA 93 Race tune, Pioneer TS-D6802R speakers, chin spoiler, Eleanor style grill, GT500 rear spoiler
stemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 10:26 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemar View Post
I installed 1" hubcentric wheel spacers on my 09 with the factory 18" wheels moved then out to flush with the fender lip loved the look it gave the car I ran them for over a year with no problems what so ever I got them off of e-bay for like $59 a set shipped I just installed a new set of staggered wheels and Nitto tire's for the summer but will reinstall the spacers and stock wheels for winter

Sounds exactly like the look I want, You have to cut your rotors studs?
Old 06-13-2014, 02:53 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Did 1.5 put your wheels even with the fender?

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1402689163.346196.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	810.9 KB
ID:	159183

That's 1.5" looked like not bad an I'm lowered 2"
Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 03:16 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
Attachment 159183

That's 1.5" looked like not bad an I'm lowered 2"

Looks good, nice color car too.
Old 06-13-2014, 05:08 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I have 1.5" in the back I think. Makes it look super aggressive
Kustumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 06:31 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Sounds exactly like the look I want, You have to cut your rotors studs?
No I did not the factory wheels have a recess so the small amount of stud that sticks out is not a problem with 1" spacer the tip of the studs are not threaded on the stock studs so if your wheels do not have this recess you could cut a little off of the studs without affecting the threads of the studs
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	003.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	250.3 KB
ID:	159189  

Pypes shorties, BBK catted X, Flowmaster Pro's, K&N CAI, FRPP- P springs, Steeda UCA, J&M Panhard bar, Hurst Comp plus, FR500 Wheels W/NITTO's , SCT SF3 W/BAMA 93 Race tune, Pioneer TS-D6802R speakers, chin spoiler, Eleanor style grill, GT500 rear spoiler
Old 06-13-2014, 06:38 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Here is a side view of how my stock wheels fill the fender wells with 1" spacers front and rear
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	011.JPG
Views:	326
Size:	264.8 KB
ID:	159190  

Old 06-13-2014, 09:49 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Here is a side view of how my stock wheels fill the fender wells with 1" spacers front and rear

Nice I'll have to look and see if mine have recess that would be great. Your wheels look good thanks for taking the time to respond to me everyone. I'm feelin better about using spacers.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:52 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I'm 98% ready to do this One more question, has anyone had any issue with premature front suspension wear, Ball joints ect.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:18 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
I'm 98% ready to do this One more question, has anyone had any issue with premature front suspension wear, Ball joints ect.

Most people don't recommend spacing front wheels.
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:45 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Stemar how long have you had those 1in on your front end? Have you had any issues with premature front end wear on anything? Since you have them on I suppose you'd be the one to ask. That's the only thing holdin me back I really want to do this love the look, but don't want it at the expense of my baby. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT