Fail Safe help - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-14-2014, 10:20 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Fail Safe help

Hey guys, got a question for you. I have an 05 GT, 76k miles on it, completely stock minus midpipe and axlebacks. Recently I was driving and car switched into fail safe mode. Pulled over, waited about and started it up no problems. 2 days ago I was driving around then parked for a couple hours. Started it up to leave and instantly went into fail safe and my idle was all over the place. The problem is I never got a CEL. My throttle body was cleaned by ford a few months ago after a k and n install that gummed it up. They callesshould it aI contaminated throttle body. I had the same idle problems but no cel or fail that time. Any ideas? I went and picked up a throttle position sensor but haven't put it in yet. I hooked it up to a code reader and it showed nothing. Made sure all my connections were locked and screws tight. Drove today and no problems. Any input would be much appreciated.
p_gehle41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2014, 02:22 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Check your air filter and throttle body hose clamps.
Old 06-17-2014, 02:59 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Maf could be dirty, or an o2 sensor might be gunked/failing

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2014, 04:29 AM   #4
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
A K&N filter is not going to gum up your throttle body. The throttle body gets dirty from carbon deposits and requires cleaning, especially on an engine that had 76K. Symptoms of a dirty throttle body wandering idle and/or poor idle.

I raise a red flag to any dealership that says a properly oiled air filter was the cause of a "gummed up" throttle body.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:47 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
A K&N filter is not going to gum up your throttle body. The throttle body gets dirty from carbon deposits and requires cleaning, especially on an engine that had 76K. Symptoms of a dirty throttle body wandering idle and/or poor idle.

I raise a red flag to any dealership that says a properly oiled air filter was the cause of a "gummed up" throttle body.

Sorry for the confusion, it was from a K and N intake, not just a drop in filter. Immediately after the instal I noticed something wasn't right. Just an update, driven about 50 miles and no fail safe mode. Checked all my connections and everything was tight. Maybe the computer had a couple brief moments of confusion, I have no idea. I bought a TPS so if it happens again ill throw that on
p_gehle41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 02:26 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
If something wasn't right immediately after you installed it, I would put it back to the way it was. When you say 'intake' are you referring to a CAI? If so, that may require a tune. Just a thought..

2008 Roush 427R
2014 V6 Prem
rmb427r is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT