Subtle Ticking sound. What could it be? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-24-2014, 05:02 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Subtle Ticking sound. What could it be?

For about a month now I've been hearing this ticking sound coming from my car. It sounds like a "phift phift" that gets faster and louder as I accelerate.

Here is the zinger though. I can really only hear it when I'm next to a curb, otherwise I don't really hear it. It's not too loud, I just never noticed it before.

I first heard it after I replaced the trans fluid in my car(5 speed). I drained out red liquid and put in Royal Purple's SynchroMax. Maybe I should put in Mercon V like it says too? My transmission shifts so much better now though. I can't imagine it's that. I think I only noticed it then because when It got warm enough to drive with the windows down.

I was thinking it might be "lifter tick" so I changed the oil. Always used mobile 1 synthetic, but this time Seafoam for 15 minutes prior to change, and then used 5 qts 5W-30 oil, 1 qt lucas. The tone and volume of the "tick" didn't change even the slightest bit. Probably not engine?

So what else could it be? Exhaust leak? The exhaust is stock (I think) except for a axle back. Could a leak that far back cause a tick?

Maybe it's normal and I never really noticed it because I bought the car at the end of winter and never really drove with the windows down? The car also drive very nice, and I get 29 mpg average so it runs just fine. Just not sure about the sound.

Thank you guys
Cbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2014, 05:23 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I'd look for an exhaust leak.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 05:30 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Could also just be the fuel injectors your hearing.
S281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2014, 07:40 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Possibly an exhaust leak of ur cam phasers or cam phaser solenoids making the slight ticking 3v motors are usually a little louder and always notice a tick near an area the echos

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
G3ARH3AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:42 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by G3ARH3AD View Post
Possibly an exhaust leak of ur cam phasers or cam phaser solenoids making the slight ticking 3v motors are usually a little louder and always notice a tick near an area the echos

I'm gonna take it to an exhaust shop (the one the local Mustang Club uses). Where are the Cam phasers and solenoid located on the car? If I said "Check for exhaust leaks" would they even know to check there?

EDIT: This is exactly what it sounds like, albeit, not even close to as loud as that. Does that sound like an exhaust leak to you?
Old 06-24-2014, 07:53 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
The solenoids and phasers are on the top front of the motor under near both valve covers and sounds as tho it still could b either hard to tell from only hearing a video, but a shop could check for leaks and or cracks to make sure ur manifold gaskets and all r ok and a dealer or some1 with an ids computer can run a few test while monitoring pids to tell if ur phasers or solenoids are actually bad, but again alittle noise is common on 3vs

G3ARH3AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:41 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

That was probably the best "what's this ticking sound" video that I have seen yet.
Jack stands and everything!
Its hard to tell but I'm leaning towards the cam phasers now. It seemed to get louder towards the top of the heads.
Ticking noise is very common with all of the 4.6's... Its the price we pay for all of that power.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:51 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
That was probably the best "what's this ticking sound" video that I have seen yet.
Jack stands and everything!
Its hard to tell but I'm leaning towards the cam phasers now. It seemed to get louder towards the top of the heads.
Ticking noise is very common with all of the 4.6's... Its the price we pay for all of that power.
I'll run it up too the Ford dealership I bought car from and ask about them checking the Cam phasers and possibly exhaust leaks too. It's still under their 6 month warranty too so who know?

And are you being sarcastic about the power? I think this thing is pretty quick haha
Old 06-24-2014, 09:00 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Haha
Yeah, a little...
You guy's 3V's have a little better power, but everyone seems to rag on our 2V's.
I think that they're fun cars though.
Old 06-25-2014, 06:09 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

300 horsepower is enough for me!

All right guys, last piece of the puzzle. Today when I got off work and started the car (cold start) I smelled fuel really bad for about 15 seconds from the driver seat. I went around to the back of the car and kinda sniffed to see if it was coming from the back and it wasn't! Is it possible I have an exhaust leak pre-cat?

I know cars will run rich when you first start them but this smelled like pure gas. Just to rule out anything else I pushed the "reset" button for my cars Average MPG thing and I got a solid 29 mpg on the way home. That's what I'm normally at so nothing changed there.

If that doesn't explain anything then I'm done worrying about it. Maybe I'll get a X pipe and then I won't be able to hear the ticking, right?
Old 06-26-2014, 08:59 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
could be a lash adjuster or a stuck lifter, theres a tsb on it. Does the tick sound like it's coming from the passenger side near the top? I had the same issue with mine about a year or so ago. Started real low could barely hear it for the longest time and then it got really loud one day while I was out. Took it to a friend of mine to fix and he had it done within a few hours.
610swolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 09:01 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbird View Post
If that doesn't explain anything then I'm done worrying about it. Maybe I'll get a X pipe and then I won't be able to hear the ticking, right?
I put an off road H on mine originally thinking that my cats had burnt out haha. It did not help!
610swolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 07:04 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Well I stopped at the local auto parts store and bought a cheap little "mechanics stethoscope" and kinda poked around in the engine bay with it. The only ticking that I could hear was the fuel injectors. Had a friend rev it and hold it at ~2000 RPMs and then 4000 and still no ticking.

Maybe its all just in my head? I can only really hear it when I'm driving next to a curb so maybe its just normal engine noise reverberating off of the curb?

Can we rule out the transmission fluid change at least? The fluid I drained out was pretty thick, the synchromesh I put in was pretty thin. Have any of you guys used synchromesh without any issues?

I think I'm just gonna drive the car now and not worry about it unless it gets worse. I don't think this is a real big issue right (if it's even an issue at all lol)?
Old 06-26-2014, 09:16 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

You can rule out the transmission fluid.
Mine ticks but it has 150k so I allow it certain improprieties.
Just avoid driving near curbs and through fast food drive thru's.

Enjoy your car!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT