Thinking of purchasing a used 05-07 Mustang - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-10-2014, 11:56 PM   #1

Region: Florida
Thinking of purchasing a used 05-07 Mustang

So yeah I'm thinking of getting one, my car was recently repossessed after some economical woes, I simply couldn't pay anymore, however things are looking up and a large sum of money is coming my way just in time to alleviate any problems that a lack of car would cause by being my new car money.

I couldn't help but notice how affordable 05-07 Mustangs are, however there are a few things I need to hear from drivers more experienced then myself.

To start off I'm very worried about handling issues, I've been driving for only two years but for my first car I drove 2 and a half hours back on a 70 MPH highway in a heavy rainstorm to get it home and I've made many long distance drives.

I've never had an accident of any sort and I consider myself a calm, responsible, and level headed driver. That said the only two cars I've ever driven are a 2004 Honda Accord (My fathers) and a 2006 Honda Civic Coupe. Obviously these two cars are much simpler to drive and don't require much thought or caution. A V6 Mustang on the other hand worries me.

What problems should I expect to face? Often in the rain with my Honda I would drive roughly the same speed I did in sunny weather provided that my visibility wasn't obscured by heavier rain. I hear that an inexperienced driver can easily lose control on wet roads with a Mustang though.

At times I've also turned corners at 20 or 30 mph in order to say, make my right of way known to some less considerate drivers. I also tend to be aggressive and quickly pass slow drivers that are driving below the speed limit.

I'm thinking with this car I'll need to be more cautious and less aggressive? Coming from an 06 Civic coupe how much more difficult can I expect the handling of the V6 Mustang to be?

I suppose passing would be a much more dangerous proposal? My Honda would stop almost on a dime but I expect the Mustang will exert too much power to simply stop quickly.

EDIT- Ah crap, I accidentally put this in the GT section lol, my bad, can this be moved to the regular V6 section of the forum?
Kyokkai is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2014, 12:26 AM   #2
Road Trip!
Regular

Region: Canada
Send a message via Skype™ to Gravydog316
get good all-season tires; ESPECIALLY for rain (& good brakes too)!
Gravydog316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 12:49 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravydog View Post
get good all-season tires; ESPECIALLY for rain (& good brakes too)!
Noted, probably a good idea since rainy season here can be pretty bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2014, 12:53 AM   #4
Road Trip!

Region: California
Thinking of purchasing a used 05-07 Mustang

Your dad's accord would probably spank a v6 mustang lololol.

Real advice:

Any bad accident can happen in any car regardless of engine size.

You can't control how other people dive just how YOU drive. So don't drive like a ****** and like that person did get good tires
MyLilPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 01:04 AM   #5
Road Trip!
Regular

Region: Arizona
Especially parking your car at AutoZone. Be very careful mustang on mustang violence can happen anytime
Joser714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 01:07 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joser714 View Post
Especially parking your car at AutoZone. Be very careful mustang on mustang violence can happen anytime

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405058778.731837.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	161192
^this is natural.

It shouldnt be that much different to drive. Just dont slam on the pedal...with cars in front of you.
clflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 01:11 AM   #7
Road Trip!
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyokkai View Post
Noted, probably a good idea since rainy season here can be pretty bad.

my dad always says: DON'T BE YOUR OWN ENEMY!
relax
Old 07-11-2014, 01:32 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLilPony View Post
Your dad's accord would probably spank a v6 mustang lololol.

Real advice:

Any bad accident can happen in any car regardless of engine size.

You can't control how other people dive just how YOU drive. So don't drive like a ****** and like that person did get good tires
Lol his poor Accord is totally beat up these days, doubt it could do much of anything besides get him between two points ;P he's gonna replace it soon.

Told him to get one of those 08 coupes, those lines are sexy on em. He'd get a Mustang himself but he prefers fuel efficiency.

Quote:
So should I bring a spray bottle or will it just turn to attack me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clflorida View Post
Attachment 161192
^this is natural.

It shouldnt be that much different to drive. Just dont slam on the pedal...with cars in front of you.
Yeah I certainly don't intend to do that lol.

Quote:
my dad always says: DON'T BE YOUR OWN ENEMY!
relax
No sweat, nothing gets me worked up and some crazy stuff has happened to me already ;P. 18 wheeler came around a corner fast crossing over it's lane more than halfway and would have slammed me if I freaked for example. A guy in a regular truck even pulled into the grass lol.
Old 07-11-2014, 02:27 AM   #9
Road Trip!

Region: California
Quote:

Quoted for 100000000000%% truth

If only others on this forum knew
MyLilPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 05:39 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

It sounds to me like you're way over thinking it. If you want mustang get one and have fun with it. If you're worried about bad weather have good tires. I'm stationed in Alaska, and even in the winter with my s/c v8 it handles fine with the right tires and careful driving.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
jsteele84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 01:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsteele84 View Post
It sounds to me like you're way over thinking it. If you want mustang get one and have fun with it. If you're worried about bad weather have good tires. I'm stationed in Alaska, and even in the winter with my s/c v8 it handles fine with the right tires and careful driving.

Yeah after all the replies I see that I am indeed over thinking.

Thanks for putting my mind at ease guys.
Old 07-11-2014, 02:44 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Yea no problem. Also if you can you should get the v8, much more fun haha.

Old 07-11-2014, 02:50 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:

What he said, the V6 prior to 2011+ is anemic. The GT is more fun, and worth it if you can afford it. Handling isn't that bad either.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 08:53 PM   #14
Road Trip!
Regular

remember: you never know what others are thinking, or going to do or not do; you always have to be on your toes.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:24 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Plus there's a mind blowing amount if mods for the GTs just in case you ever start making more money and wanna turn your pony into a stallion haha

Old 07-12-2014, 12:08 AM   #16

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
What he said, the V6 prior to 2011+ is anemic. The GT is more fun, and worth it if you can afford it. Handling isn't that bad either.
I'm just a poor working college student. I'm not being given money for this, it's from a business I started with my family and this particular contract will be 35,000 dollars BUT this is just a start up so the majority of that money has to go back into the company, then another part for bills, the rest for a new car which will be no more than a flat fee of 9000 + title/documents/dealership fees as long as those remain below 10,000.

Quote:
remember: you never know what others are thinking, or going to do or not do; you always have to be on your toes.
Yeah I don't trust anyone on the road, I consider every other driver an idiot until proven wrong.

Quote:
Plus there's a mind blowing amount if mods for the GTs just in case you ever start making more money and wanna turn your pony into a stallion haha

As I said I simply can't afford it right now, I don't intend to replace this car for a while so by the time I do I hope to have a career that will allow me to get a 2015-2018 GT instead but that's just a hope, plenty of work to do and factors that rely only on luck.

Also I'm not directly looking for a race car but I do admire the look of sports cars and I'd like to get more experience with them, I don't really intend to race or anything of that sort but simply to maintain and customize it at some point down the road.

I can take apart a PC and put it back together but I'm not nearly as able with a car and this I'm hoping will be a good opportunity to learn. Fortunately PC's and cars have some minor similarities so I may be able to grasp concepts easier.

Basically I'm just looking for something that turns heads, is reliable, and a starting point for a sportier car, my Honda had a nice shape but I'm ready to try something American for once.
Old 07-12-2014, 02:54 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I can totally respect that...well I hope you find your Mustang, and I hope that you like it. Because I really think that they're are great machines. Plus it's cool that you work with computers, I do too but for the army. But more on the networking side, mostly just IT help desk to be honest hahahaha

Old 07-12-2014, 02:39 PM   #18

Quote:
I can totally respect that...well I hope you find your Mustang, and I hope that you like it. Because I really think that they're are great machines. Plus it's cool that you work with computers, I do too but for the army. But more on the networking side, mostly just IT help desk to be honest hahahaha

Ah nice, my father is good with networking, I'm more with hardware/software issues. My father can do everything though pretty much, save for video game development programs which is something else I'm good with.

I've got a list of used ones atm that I like very much so I'm sure I'm going to get one that I like ;P

I'm very excited to pull one of them into the driveway sometime next week.
Old 07-12-2014, 04:24 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Awesome, post pics when you get it.

Old 07-12-2014, 09:40 PM   #20

Quote:
Awesome, post pics when you get it.

I intend to ;p, although it will be in the appropriate forum lol. I don't plan on a GT cause all they got are the pale blue, plain white, and plain pale green color options and that's a no go for me.

Well that's all I can find within my budget anyways. There's some plain black ones at the edge of my budget but I'm looking for one that has racing stripes or some modifications to its body already.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT