Transmission problem.. Swap to 6 speed... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-18-2014, 08:47 PM   #1
Region: Illinois
Transmission problem.. Swap to 6 speed...

I have 90K on my car.
I don't typically launch from stop lights, and I don't take my car to the track.
I love this car on the highway, downshifting to 2nd or 3rd.

Oddly, first gear is the first to go. If I shift into first to quickly, even if at a complete stop, It grinds while it engages. I still have my stock clutch, but if the clutch was going, wouldn't I have shifting issues across all gears ?

I think my synchro at first is going bad. I am looking into trans rebuilds and options. I have read up and it seems the stock trans is not rated to handle a lot of power, and an upgrade would be a good idea for someone who has to replace the trans anyway.

I read up, and it seems the 6 speed TR6060 or the T56 are viable options for my car.
I want to be cost conscience, and not just willy nilly blow 4 grand on a trans swap.
But, since a rebuild can't really be don't for less than around a grand, I figure why not spend a little more ($2K ?) for a trans that will handle more power.

Has anyone done the trans swap to a 6 speed on a 2006 S197 manual trans car ?

I plan on trying to do it myself, as I have been working on cars for a hobby for about 20 years now, and I am quite mechanically inclined.
I plan on replacing the clutch, resurface the flywheel, obtaining a new slave and throw out bearing. From what I understand, I also need a GT500 shifter, GT500 driveshaft. I will not buy these new unless I have to, as I have time to shop around and try to wheel and deal a bit. Hopefully I get lucky and find a 6 speed at a bone yard or someone selling one used for a decent price. Not sure how realistic that is.
Anyone have any feedback or experience with the swap? Was it too pricey? Did you love it once it was done ? Was it not worth the money, and a stronger 5 speed would have been a better option ?

2006 Ford Mustang
Vista blue GT premium
5-speed manual

No mods. 90K
VistaBlue2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 07:08 PM   #2
Registered Member
Region: Canada
Hey man I just finished a 6 sp trans swap. I'll say this you get what you pay for. If you want to go a cheep route, price out a t6060. But you will need certain parts, driveshaft, speedo wiring, mounts etc etc. plus once once you get it together you probably won't be happy with the ****ty shifting the t6060 apparently has. I just don't think you would be happy.
I went to modern driveline. And bought the t56 magnum, 6 speed trans kit. Comes with everything you need! Clutch, trans, driveshaft, speedo wiring, trans mounts. Bolts, hardware, fluids.. Like everything you need! I would also recommend a new through out bearing/ hydraulic slave cylinder. And a braided clutch line..
This in turn will save you trying to piece together everything and finding out the hard way..
( and I believe most trans will fail in a high gear first. T3650 usually 5th goes first)

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Bennyhill is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT