Getting a 2005-09 gt - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-20-2014, 04:01 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Getting a 2005-09 gt

Hey guys I've never had a v8 mustang but I have had a lot of v8s what can I expect out of one of these cars and what year is the best if there is any changes what would be some good bolt ons also I am a family man will I have a problem with a car seat I already have a 4 door truck so it's time for a toy and is auto or manual better?
Codyty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2014, 06:57 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Auto or manual! I say manual but it seems like 99% of people these days will say auto! Probably because they can't drive a standard. If you want to experience the full effect and be in control then manual %110.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Bennyhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:02 AM   #3

^^^ What he said... I've had both manual and auto, I won't go back to auto. I can't say for sure about the car seat, but me, my wife and 2 teenage daughters travel in my 07 quite often so it can be done.
gregthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2014, 09:49 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Differences: 07 added an aux jack in the center console - late 08-09 came with 1 piece spark plugs - 10 4.6l v8 with new body style. I also believe 09-10 came with charge plates welded into the intake manifold.

Auto vs manual: I have an auto but wished I went with a manual...if you do go with an auto, definitely look at getting a tune to fix the soft shifting...

Mods: first mods for performance should be a CAI and tune...these will give you the best bang for your buck. From there maybe a strut brace for suspension and some axle backs for exhaust.

I had a car seat in my 07 for a few years and it was tight. I put it behind the passenger seat and had to move it up a lot to fit my kid comfortably. I now have 2 booster seats and have no problem cruising with 4 of us in the car.

Good luck...keep up posted on what you buy along with some pics...
Old 07-20-2014, 02:25 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to KATO
AUTOS AND STICKS.

If you're not one of the Young guys here trying to get off about knowing how to drive a Stick and you're in a area with high Traffic, then get a Auto. I know how to drive 3,4,5 and 6 spd vehicles, have had a stick also and owned 2 motorcycles, but I drive a Auto now and grateful I do. There's nothing to prove now, but comfort is very preferable.
Old 07-20-2014, 02:35 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I live in Los Angeles and drive stick, so it's all about how stubborn you are. Any GT is a nice car. The point is to own a Mustang. The transmission is a secondary concern.
JOberlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 03:21 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KATO View Post
If you're not one of the Young guys here trying to get off about knowing how to drive a Stick and you're in a area with high Traffic, then get a Auto. I know how to drive 3,4,5 and 6 spd vehicles, have had a stick also and owned 2 motorcycles, but I drive a Auto now and grateful I do. There's nothing to prove now, but comfort is very preferable.

Auto is a comfortable ride in the city so much nicer , I have owned lots of standard vehicles but I love my auto and what people don't think about is that you can still shift with an auto , clutches are old school look at Ferrari and Lambo's they all have paddle shift , look at the new Camaro it has it too and the new 2015 mustang , also it's nice to have both hands on the wheel when going fast around corners much safer , to top it off autos are faster in the 1/4 mile .
gladiatoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 04:48 PM   #8
Road Trip!

All these people saying auto sucks are the ones who prolly just learned to drive stick lol
MyLilPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 07:54 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

No that's not at all what we are saying! I have an auto I have owned a couple. But at the same time I own a mustang and if I'm going to own a weekend street machine then it's going to be a manual, for the simple reason I am in control of every move this car is going to make!
Paddle shift. Auto "fake" shift is not the same. It will still shift for you! A standard is a standard ! If you want to own your vehicle buy a standard! If you want something anyone can drive then buy an auto! Enough said!

Old 07-20-2014, 08:08 PM   #10
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennyhill View Post
A standard is a standard ! If you want to own your vehicle buy a standard! If you want something anyone can drive then buy an auto! Enough said!

Fail quote of the week
Old 07-20-2014, 08:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLilPony View Post
Fail quote of the week
How about this... if you don't want someone else to drive your car, then buy a standard. Better?
Old 07-20-2014, 08:19 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

F-u fail quote! read it! Understand it!

Old 07-20-2014, 10:27 PM   #13
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthomas View Post
How about this... if you don't want someone else to drive your car, then buy a standard. Better?

Or lock it? Lol

---------- Post added at 10:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennyhill View Post
F-u fail quote! read it! Understand it!

A standard is standard. An auto is auto. Anyone can drive either.
Old 07-21-2014, 02:31 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLilPony View Post
Or lock it? Lol

---------- Post added at 10:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 PM ----------

A standard is standard. An auto is auto. Anyone can drive either.

Lmao! mines an auto but can drive a manual without any issues only thing i care about is my comfort could care less what other ppl's opinions are.
I hope every driver is in control of their car regardless if its not a manual
Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 03:00 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I've owned plenty of manuals and autos and my current Mustang is an auto. With a proper tune and a ratchet shifter, my car is just as fun to drive as any other Mustang I've had. You just have to put the right combination together that suits your driving needs and that you like.

If you buy a manual then have fun.

If you buy an auto then still have fun.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
GTgorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 04:16 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTgorilla View Post
I've owned plenty of manuals and autos and my current Mustang is an auto. With a proper tune and a ratchet shifter, my car is just as fun to drive as any other Mustang I've had. You just have to put the right combination together that suits your driving needs and that you like.

If you buy a manual then have fun.

If you buy an auto then still have fun.

Very well said...
Old 07-21-2014, 07:27 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Just get an auto, 7 out of 10 Mustang guys don't know how to race, only how to drive stick around town

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app

2007 Ford Mustang GT 5spd
Brenspeed tune, JLT 3, Hurst shifter, 4.10s
O/R Xpipe, 15x8 Jeg Stars with Micky Thompsons
BaSohol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:55 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Look for an 07-09 GT. If it'll be your toy and not a DD, I'd vote manual.

Tune, CAI, axle-backs, all great bang for the buck/first mods. That's pretty much all you need on these cars. Cheap cosmetics to make it stand out and modern would be a shorty antenna and painted mirror covers.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:09 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

As far as paddle shifting goes only the ones that are an "automated manual" that uses a computer to shift a manual Gearbox is good. Alot of the ones that come with cheaper cars aren't very good and you end up just driving it like a normal automatic. BUT I have a manual and there are definitely times when I wish I had an auto. Especially with the clutch I have, sometimes it feels like my calf is gonna give out lol. it depends on opinion as to which is better.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
jsteele84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:57 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

I'd say the opposite. If it's your toy, get an automatic and loaf around town in it. If it's your daily driver, get the manual. I find not being in control in heavy traffic to be amazingly frustrating. So much so that I used to power shift my automatics all the time as they were slower at anything other than stomp the pedal to the floor maneuvers.

I guarantee if you are going 20mph and you need to get to 40mph, you have to hit the gas hard to get it to downshift, and when it does downshift, the whole process takes almost a second to make up its mind and undergo any significant change. It's a very crude design, to be honest. Nothing like a DSG in a supercar. Like comparing canned tuna to caught on a fishing trip at sea. Ford's automatics always have proven to be immensely frustrating in terms of feedback and driver engagement. They love to do it their way and that's it.

In a car with this much personality, it's a bit sad to suck a large portion of it out like that.
JOberlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 07:49 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Get a '08 or '09 Bullitt and most of your mods are done.
BBK LT headers, fuel rail and UD pullies
Hurst Shifter
Lowered with upgraded rear suspension
Galaxie64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:13 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Well I just got an 2008 with manual transmission. I love it. I like controlling my shift points and I've been getting pretty good gas mileage! My 5 year and pregnant wife fit in the car just fine. Baby seats do fit fine in it especially when no one is in the passenger seat. It will also fit just as well so long as your wife/passenger isn't like 6feet tall.
JonT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 07:32 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Mine is an '08 manual. I drive in NYC for work daily and it sucks a$$ but I wouldn't trade it cause when I get a on a long stretch of the highway home, look out!

cmegnin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 08:47 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxie64 View Post
Get a '08 or '09 Bullitt and most of your mods are done.
Good man..... love mine

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 08-11-2014, 12:52 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
I love my 07 GT. It's a 5spd and it's the best! I am a big guy 6'2 240lbs and I fit in there perfectly and it has a crappy backseat but my sister (5'5 fits back there just fine. I would definitely go with the manual. My friend has the same GT as mine and we both have Flowmaster
mufflers and I average about 22mpg (60% highway, 40% city) my friend drives about 50/50 and he gets 18 in his auto.

Sloww_3V 🚗💨💨
Sloww_3V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:18 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Manuals are great! I had one but had to sell due to the fact that I sit in traffic two hours one way everyday to work and home, but can't complain becuz the 07gt auto is axing especially it's shift points!!!

KamzGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 01:24 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Manual is the way to go. I had a 06 GT 5 speed sold it now I have a 07 GT but it's a auto really miss being able to run threw the gears

Sent from my SM-N900R4 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Delacruz36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 05:31 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
Well, there you have it. Obviously a personal preference. Mine is a auto, only because the wife said she would drive it, and when I had my Corvette, she scared the hell out of me the way she shifted. So far I'm happy with the auto, but there are times when I wish I had a manual. Consider what your intentions are in regard to what you intend to do with the car, and make your decision. If I were in Los Angeles and had to be stuck in traffic for two hours at a crack, my clutch leg would probably rebel.
rogcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT