Cat or Axel backs performance gains - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-27-2014, 06:17 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
Cat or Axel backs performance gains

Been looking around to see if there are any performance gains by adding a cat or axel back exhaust. My GT has an Airaid and also planning for a Bama tuner and noticed on the Airaid site they have a video of a GT with stock engine compared to adding CAI and Bama with much Improved hp and tq but no mention of updated exhaust. So is the exhaust for improved sound or performance? I know from experience that when adding intake airflow it makes sense to match it with an open exhaust, so looking for some products that match up well. Any links appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
MarkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2014, 06:24 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkH View Post
Been looking around to see if there are any performance gains by adding a cat or axel back exhaust. My GT has an Airaid and also planning for a Bama tuner and noticed on the Airaid site they have a video of a GT with stock engine compared to adding CAI and Bama with much Improved hp and tq but no mention of updated exhaust. So is the exhaust for improved sound or performance? I know from experience that when adding intake airflow it makes sense to match it with an open exhaust, so looking for some products that match up well. Any links appreciated.

An axle back will net you next to nothing, purely for sound. A catback you'll see some gains, but very small. MAYBE 5 hp. The measurable gains will be from replacing the mid pipe and headers.
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 07:50 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

So I'm guessing that headers and straight pipes to some free flowing mufflers will be costly and may not pass a NH state inspection. Any idea on the hp/tq gain here?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2014, 08:47 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
So I'm guessing that headers and straight pipes to some free flowing mufflers will be costly and may not pass a NH state inspection. Any idea on the hp/tq gain here?

Not necessarily costly, it just depends on the brand you decide on getting. The biggest gains you would see would be a Long Tube header + Catless midpipe (X or H, the sound is different and they produce more power on opposite ends of the powerbands) and straight through design mufflers.

Will all of that pass inspection? Not a chance. You might be able to replace the headers with some shorties instead, keep your stock midpipe to keep the catalytic converters in place and pretty much any muffler is OK. It will net you some measurable power.

Not exactly sure how much on your 3v 4.6L I'd estimate ~30-35 with the first options and ~20-25 with the 2nd. Not all of that to the wheels of course.

If you're decent mechanically, you COULD run the first option and when inspection time comes near, slap on your stock system, get your inspection done and then put your aftermarket stuff back on. You still run the risk of being pulled over and ticketed for modified exhaust, but nearly all of us do.
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 07:58 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Not sure I'd be interested in climbing under the car every year to swap exhaust, and if all I get from an cat or axel back is sound then I will stop at the CAI and tuner for now and suspension will be next. Thanks for the helpful information.

Old 07-28-2014, 09:24 AM   #6
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Both Axleback and Catback exhaust systems are no tune required. They'll net very small gains, if any. All of the power gains will be from deleting the Cats or a set of Long Tube Headers.

Hope this helps!

-Dan
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:52 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I thought that would be the case with the cats as they will restrict air flow. Downside is if I remove the cats it will fail inspection which is not an option for me. Thanks for all replies and validating my options.

Old 07-29-2014, 11:29 AM   #8
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
I thought that would be the case with the cats as they will restrict air flow. Downside is if I remove the cats it will fail inspection which is not an option for me. Thanks for all replies and validating my options.
No problem! Glad we could help. Let us know what you decide on going with! Don't get me wrong, an axleback and/or catback exhaust will definitely sound awesome. They're just not real big power adders.

-Dan
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT