Exhaust that is loud but mellow? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-01-2014, 01:52 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Exhaust that is loud but mellow?

I've had just a set of Flowmaster American thunders on the car since I got it. The sound is mellow but rather quite.

I always figured you either got quite and mellow or Loud and obnoxious but today I heard a s197 that was both.

It was loud but it wasn't "mean and nasty" at all. What's your best guess of how to achieve that. On YouTube all the exhaust clips sound the same to me lol.

I'm guessing it has to of been catted, h pipe, resonators, and chambered mufflers? But wouldn't that setup be quite? I know nobody can tell me for sure what he had but have you guys ever heard anything similar to this? I guess I want it loud but not sound like a race car, Harley, or old truck, ya know?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Cbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2014, 12:50 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Kooks/Pypes/BBK Longtubes.....Off road X......Mid muffler......Corsa/Pype Bombs/SLP

Mid muffler does a good job with making a nice tone. Doesn't take away too much exhaust sound though.

Im currently running bbk longtubes, o/r x pipe from bbk and pype bombs.

Sounds like ****. It sounded so much better with my mid mufflers installed. Catted X pipe will just make it quieter.

Testimonial; Ive been through so many setups already.
2009 Mustang GT Premium; FRRP 4.10 Gears, J&M Lower Control Arms, BBK Long Tube Headers, BBK Catted X Pipe, Pypes M80 Mid Mufflers, Pypes Pype Bomb Axle Back, JLT Series 3 Cold Air Intake, Bama 93 Octane Race Tune, Black Decklid Panel, Weathertech Mats, SVE Shifter and Shorty Antenna.
Langer1099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 01:00 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

The lack of cats doesn't make it snappy and clicky, if you know what I mean? Lol

By mid mounting you mean like how they were on the new edges? Is that why the 2 and 4vs sound "hollow" and deeper? Or is there another reason to midmount?

Are straight through the way to go? Are chambered mufflers a thing of the past? I hardly see anyone with flows anymore

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2014, 01:21 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Having no mufflers makes it super raspy and almost flappy. Like....A flag blowing in a wind storm flap at WOT. It doesn't sound good. Mid mufflers are typically put in right before the rear tires. They help tone out some of that truck/harley crap sound.

longtubes....x pipe.....mid mufflers.....SLP/Pypes/Corsa/Bassani race is the way to go.

OR....What ive heard is good is longtubes, x pipe, and magnaflow or flowmaster mufflers out the back
2009 Mustang GT Premium; FRRP 4.10 Gears, J&M Lower Control Arms, BBK Long Tube Headers, BBK Catted X Pipe, Pypes M80 Mid Mufflers, Pypes Pype Bomb Axle Back, JLT Series 3 Cold Air Intake, Bama 93 Octane Race Tune, Black Decklid Panel, Weathertech Mats, SVE Shifter and Shorty Antenna.
Langer1099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 08:52 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I'm guessing midmounting chambered mufflers Is out of the picture?

Would the pype bomb axle back resonators be a good addition to a midmuffler setup? Maybe smooth the sound even more?

Old 08-02-2014, 09:24 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
I have slp loudmouth axle backs. They're a little raspy. They are basically a muffler delete. I like the way they sound but I don't know if they are mellow enough for you

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
silvr002001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 10:25 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to KATO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbird View Post
I've had just a set of Flowmaster American thunders on the car since I got it. The sound is mellow but rather quite.

I always figured you either got quite and mellow or Loud and obnoxious but today I heard a s197 that was both.

It was loud but it wasn't "mean and nasty" at all. What's your best guess of how to achieve that. On YouTube all the exhaust clips sound the same to me lol.

I'm guessing it has to of been catted, h pipe, resonators, and chambered mufflers? But wouldn't that setup be quite? I know nobody can tell me for sure what he had but have you guys ever heard anything similar to this? I guess I want it loud but not sound like a race car, Harley, or old truck, ya know?

"Cbird", Every Company makes a variety of Mufflers not just 1 muffler, ask the shop which muffler for the Sound that you are looking for. Be specific when you talk to them. Flowmaster themselves have more than just American Thunder, If you don't ask or specify, shops will just give you what they feel like giving you. On both my cars, I have Magna Flow but two different Magna Flow Models. They sound different and unique in their own way, Low and Deep on one car and Aggressive and Nasty on the other Car.
Old 08-02-2014, 11:02 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KATO View Post
"Cbird", Every Company makes a variety of Mufflers not just 1 muffler, ask the shop which muffler for the Sound that you are looking for. Be specific when you talk to them. Flowmaster themselves have more than just American Thunder, If you don't ask or specify, shops will just give you what they feel like giving you. On both my cars, I have Magna Flow but two different Magna Flow Models. They sound different and unique in their own way, Low and Deep on one car and Aggressive and Nasty on the other Car.
Yeah I know this. I'm not sure what you read that made you think otherwise lol.

Old 08-02-2014, 11:59 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to KATO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbird View Post
Yeah I know this. I'm not sure what you read that made you think otherwise lol.

Well, OK then.
Old 08-02-2014, 03:59 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Check out borla stingers or atak, also check out spin tech
C_Dailey95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 04:02 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Slp loudmouths axle back sound great on my 07 gt, I would recommend it.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
KamzGT is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Tags
exhaust