Auto to manual swap? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-12-2014, 06:56 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
Auto to manual swap?

So I have a nice 2006 Performance White Mustang GT premium. I have owned nothing but manuals throughout my life time. I feel as though I am in more control with a manual. Plus lets be honest, its way more fun.

I've tried trading my car in but I am so upside down it aint even funny. Should have payed more attention to KBB when I bought it from the dealer. But it would be probably a good 3 grand cheaper to do a manual swap on it. But would I even have to change out the computer? Is it even worth it? Wanted to see your guys' input, thanks!
Bgrizzzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2014, 07:24 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
I doubt it would be worth the hassle but if it's something you're really interested in then why not?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
BlueSkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 08:37 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
From what I have read you don't need to swap ecu

05 Gt Premium Performance White, flowmaster outlaws
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2014, 10:17 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
Well that makes things a lot easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
From what I have read you don't need to swap ecu

Bgrizzzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 01:53 AM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-foru...-guide.783401/

---------- Post added at 10:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 PM ----------

Good read

natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 02:17 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
I would put the shifter in neutral before taking everything apart and you won't need to mess with the ecu because the car will start in neutral in an automatic and make no fuel trims. As for the swap you may need to make the transmission tunnel hole a little bigger to fit the shifter, and modify the cross member because it will definitely be diffrent, and invest in the proper dust plate. I would recommend finding a wercked parts car
94gtconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 04:09 AM   #7
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
If you're going to do this, its best to have the doner car at the location of the swap. There's always going to be little bits required that you did not get on the first (or second, or third...) trip to the boneyard to obtain everything.

Not sure with the Mustang, but with other vehicles, the wiring harness to the ECU can be different (more/less wiring and pins to/from the ECU) on an automatic and manual transmission. My son did this conversion on a Toyota 4x4 4runner. The ECU's on the year range he did this on used a different one between the automatic equipped 4runners; more sensors for the automatic (must have had something to do with engaging 4 wheel low perhaps on an automatic). Because he did not change the harness, he has codes stuck in the ECU, and his check engine light is always on. No biggy, it still runs good.

I'd really do some good homework on this conversion, and would strongly recommend you have a doner vehicle at your side when this conversion is performed.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:57 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
You got me thinking in a 6 speed, don't know if it will fit but it would be really nice.
2006 GT, C&L RACER INTAKE, FRPP THROTTLE BODY, FRPP INTAKE MANIFOLD, FRPP HOTROD CAMS, FRPP SHORTY HEADERS, CUSTOM X PIPE, BORLA ATAK MUFFLERS, FRPP SPRINGS, BAMA TUNE, CERVINIS STALKER II HOOD, STREET SCENE GEN 1 FASCIA AND REAR VALANCE
Dago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 12:13 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I have a tr-3650 for sale, just saying
and and and I DRIVE IT LIKE I STOLE IT !!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K_QJ...ure=plcp<br />http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWfvYVYlfio&feature=plcp
Sirtat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 08:10 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
If you're gonna do this swap, don't mess around with the factory transmission - get a T56 Magnum XL. It's available as a kit and includes everything you need to put the transmission into any S197 Mustang. It's going to be pricey ($4k), believe me, you'll be glad you went that way. the shifting is MUCH better, and when you order the kit, you get a choice of eithera wide ratio or close ratio gear set.
jsimmonstx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 05:38 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

You can do anything with the right amount of money

Dakota05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 01:21 PM   #12

How much @sirtat

mr5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 10:53 PM   #13
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimmonstx View Post
If you're gonna do this swap, don't mess around with the factory transmission - get a T56 Magnum XL. It's available as a kit and includes everything you need to put the transmission into any S197 Mustang. It's going to be pricey ($4k), believe me, you'll be glad you went that way. the shifting is MUCH better, and when you order the kit, you get a choice of eithera wide ratio or close ratio gear set.
Anyone replacing their manual trans or swapping to a manual should just not **** around and follow this advice. $4k sounds like a lot but for what you get and the direct shift, its a real good deal.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 12:55 AM   #14

I'm on my way to a manual conversion right now...

Old 12-03-2014, 12:58 AM   #15
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Anyone replacing their manual trans or swapping to a manual should just not **** around and follow this advice. $4k sounds like a lot but for what you get and the direct shift, its a real good deal.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
And then get a sequential transmission kit. Bang gears by just pulling a lever toward you.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 01:04 AM   #16

Hell yeah man!

Old 12-03-2014, 01:10 AM   #17
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr5oh View Post
Hell yeah man!

Conversion kit is around $10k though lol. For a transmission with it already integrated you are looking at $15k lmao.

HID end all thread
Old 12-03-2014, 01:11 AM   #18

There goes my hopes and dreams haha

Old 12-03-2014, 01:14 AM   #19
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Only T56 with a sequential set up or a conversion kit for it is for corvettes anyway.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

HID end all thread
Old 12-03-2014, 01:17 AM   #20

I was thinking about finding a 3650 trans from a crashed mustang and putting it in with a clutch kit and all the essentials of course

Old 12-03-2014, 08:03 AM   #21
Staff
Regular
Staff

The 3650 is actually a real good transmisison. You get a nice steep 1st gear and a fairly deep overdrive. A good rebuilt unit with a 26 spline input with all TSBs done and the gorilla fork will hold 700+ all day and not break a sweat. They got a bad reputation from the 1st run 3650s in the New Edges that were overfilled with fluid and had a badly designed 2nd gear. The rebuilt one I put in my 98 shifted flawlessly.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 12-25-2014, 10:40 PM   #22

Manual has more control all day

Old 12-25-2014, 10:55 PM   #23
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr5oh View Post
Manual has more control all day

So if that is more important to you go for it. Manual and auto both have their places and its all about personal preference. I just laugh at the ppl who still think a manual trans is the way to go when they are worried about 1/4 mile times.

Old 12-25-2014, 11:32 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

I completed the swap late September lol. I completely forgot I started this thread. I spent a total of 1,700 on the swap. Honestly... It was worth it for anyone else but me. Now I have my 2011, and I'm trying to get rid of the 1994. Shure the 94 is cool and all but I can't afford both and the 94 needs to go. The swap took me about 2 days, but the longest part was sorting out all the parts. For example, there's a stupid $3 clutch cable clip that holds the cable to the bell. Not one t5 swap guide mentioned that clip. Also the t4m0 computer is a must. Unless you'r a fan of your mustang bucking like a bull, but the damn computer. It will run like complete garbage without it.
Old 12-26-2014, 09:47 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Quote:
So if that is more important to you go for it. Manual and auto both have their places and its all about personal preference. I just laugh at the ppl who still think a manual trans is the way to go when they are worried about 1/4 mile times.

Yeah yeah we know. I'm surprised you didn't sneak in your famous "It lets us know who's actually been to a track and who hasn't".

Automatics are for grocery getters and drag racers. Everything in between should be a manual *puts on sunglasses*

Cbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 11:32 AM   #26
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbird View Post
Yeah yeah we know. I'm surprised you didn't sneak in your famous "It lets us know who's actually been to a track and who hasn't".

Automatics are for grocery getters and drag racers. Everything in between should be a manual *puts on sunglasses*

I'm famous now?

It does tho lol

The new autos are also great for just tooling around town. This is not the early 90s anymore.

Old 12-26-2014, 11:43 AM   #27
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Manual transmission is fun. But if you want to win, you won't have a standard H pattern manual transmission.

A serious drag racer has an automatic

A serious corner carver has a dual clutch or sequential transmission

Anyone ever notice what transmission type Ken Block uses in all his videos?

HID end all thread
Old 12-26-2014, 11:49 AM   #28
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Manual transmission is fun. But if you want to win, you won't have a standard H pattern manual transmission.

Shhhhhhhhhh....

Old 12-26-2014, 02:02 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Auto to manual swap?

Quote:
I'm famous now?

It does tho lol

The new autos are also great for just tooling around town. This is not the early 90s anymore.

Well you are kind of famous around these parts!

I know what you're saying though. I had a Hyundai Tiburon as a teenager. It was unresponsive to say the least.

If I had an auto today I wouldn't be too upset about it but the manual is fun and I like the way the exhaust sounds vs an auto.. I don't drag race, I don't autoX, I just floor it on back roads once in awhile and smile.

Cbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 05:00 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Auto to manual swap?

I just know when your selling a Mustang in these parts the first question "Is it a V8?" And the second one "Is it a Stick?" nobody seems to care too much about an edge in the 1/4 mile. Resale is tremendously lower for Automatics

dave73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 05:20 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

The sequential boxes are better known as dog boxes. And they aren't the type of setup you can use day to day. They are disposable like rotary Mazda motors. Your get 30 or so runs out of them, and get them rebuilt or find a good used unit. I love manuals for day to day use, and maybe a trip to the strip now and then... But up until recently automatics in stock form have been nothing to write home about. The newer solenoid valve body autos are much nicer to drive, and have firmer shifts. My built 4r70w was BRUTAL until it let me down for the second time and self destructed. For now on.. Mark my words I will never buy an automatic unless I am forced to. But for single digits drag cars... There's only automatics. If you're running single digits in a manual, more power to you.
Old 12-26-2014, 06:11 PM   #32
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Auto to manual swap?

I'm well aware of the Nick names and the pros and cons, which is mainly why i said "serious". I've never been much of a person to really care too much about drag racing though.I enjoy watching it when they run 6s at the track, standing near them when they launch and shake your whole body is cool.

But when I'm diving I prefer corners, which is where manuals are best. Except for one area, a heel toe down shift. No matter what a sequential transmission is going to be faster through the downshift and up shift.

Even then, I still prefer paddle shifting. There are a few kits out there to add it to our transmissions. Look up Master Shift. The shifts aren't as fast as a true dual clutch gear box, but it eliminates all the herky jerk of an H pattern box, and that alone will shave seconds off in the circuit. That is probably the route I will go since the only real option for a sequential for our cars is a $10k kit

HID end all thread
Old 12-26-2014, 07:07 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm well aware of the Nick names and the pros and cons, which is mainly why i said "serious". I've never been much of a person to really care too much about drag racing though.I enjoy watching it when they run 6s at the track, standing near them when they launch and shake your whole body is cool.

But when I'm diving I prefer corners, which is where manuals are best. Except for one area, a heel toe down shift. No matter what a sequential transmission is going to be faster through the downshift and up shift.

Even then, I still prefer paddle shifting. There are a few kits out there to add it to our transmissions. Look up Master Shift. The shifts aren't as fast as a true dual clutch gear box, but it eliminates all the herky jerk of an H pattern box, and that alone will shave seconds off in the circuit. That is probably the route I will go since the only real option for a sequential for our cars is a $10k kit

That would be cool, but I would rather just keep the "h" than spend money on that kit unless i was a serious road course racer, or auto x. But it would be nice to have.
Old 12-26-2014, 07:08 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Lmao
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1419642513453.png
Views:	151
Size:	704.1 KB
ID:	172493  
Old 12-27-2014, 12:38 AM   #35
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94gtconvert View Post
Lmao
With the new MGW and the whiteline mount... not anymore from all the reports rolling in. The stock setup was indeed that bad and the MGW2 is the first one to completely replace every single component.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT