Tuner vs Tuner????? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-20-2014, 05:25 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Tuner vs Tuner?????

seen alot of forums about bad tunes, bama, diablo, sct etc etc... i have seen nothing on the Ford Racing tuner/ Cold air intake package. So im looking at getting cold air intake and tuner for my 06 trying to stay at about 600 bucks. The Ford one holds up to 10 tunes and does everything that the others, plus its a registered Ford Item. At this point i am not convinced either way on any tuner. mods so far Pypes violators, that is all. Suggestions and opinions welcome.
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2014, 05:39 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
I would imagine a tune from ford would be a little on the mellow side but I don't personally know

05 Gt Premium Performance White, flowmaster outlaws
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 06:00 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Don't have any personal experience with the frrp procal stuff, but from what I read it's a nice option if you want to retain your warranty. I believe it's a 91 mellow tune that supports the frrp cai only. If you are want to retain your warranty and lock yourself into certain mods, then this is your choice. If you want more choices and performance out of your mods and mustang overall, I would go aftermarket with a sct x4 tuner and cai combo from vendors like bama, steeda, etc.

Sent from my microwave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2014, 06:59 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
Go with what others here have experienced and reporting as good solutions.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
MarkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 08:57 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Sounds good thanks all this helps.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 08-20-2014, 10:05 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Np
Old 08-21-2014, 07:35 AM   #7
Site Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jar72 View Post
seen alot of forums about bad tunes, bama, diablo, sct etc etc... i have seen nothing on the Ford Racing tuner/ Cold air intake package. So im looking at getting cold air intake and tuner for my 06 trying to stay at about 600 bucks. The Ford one holds up to 10 tunes and does everything that the others, plus its a registered Ford Item. At this point i am not convinced either way on any tuner. mods so far Pypes violators, that is all. Suggestions and opinions welcome.
Jar-That's a good question and my biggest gripe with the Procal is that they're a little on the conservative bordering watered down side as Nate had said. Another thing that throws me for a loop on a daily basis is the whole warranty thing. Some dealers will carry, sell, and install Ford Racing parts on your car, but would then void the warranty Because Ford Racing is separate from Ford Motor there's a really wonky grey area. I would recommend stopping by your local dealer to see if they can elaborate on this as it differs from dealer to dealer and how mod friendly they are.

On the flip side I've used SCT products and Bama Tunes on my Mustangs for well over 3 years and they've always made me or anyone who's coming out of a stock Mustang smile! Either way if you don't have our discount code shoot me a PM and I'll get you set up. It's not a one time code or anything so you can hold onto it!

Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
I would imagine a tune from ford would be a little on the mellow side but I don't personally know
This!
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMAlexLazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 04:18 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Had a FRPP tune on my 11, part of a 750hp kit. As stated above, very conservative, but 50 state legal.
The best tune is by a tuner, costs around $ 500. ( waste of time with your mods )
Canned tunes, and it doesn't matter who sells them, are also on the conservative side. Keep in mind that it's a tune developed for someone else's build, modified for you needs.
At this point in time, with your ( 1 ) mod, a tune may not be the best use of your money.

" Chance favors the prepared mind "
* SOLD * 2011 776rwhp.......documented " 1 of 2 "
2014 - detuned to 780rwhp
2017 F150 Lariat Scab, 5.0
1 Alibi 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 08:35 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Understand that a tuner will get the most out of any engine, but a bama tune matched to your CAI will produce favorable results on hp/tq and others have mentioned there are changes to shifting. I started with am airaid w/venturi and have not bought the tuner yet so can't confirm on the shift change but there are videos on the power increase when removing venturi and tuning.

Old 08-22-2014, 09:16 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
My father has a 2014 5.0 and just last week had the Ford dealership install the pro cal tune on. My father lives in the Jackson Missouri area and the dealership told my father the following. If the dealership installed the pro cal tune, Ford would provide warranty coverage for 3yr 36 months.

The ONLY reason why my father chose the Ford racing tune (pro cal) was because of warranty coverage. My father just did not want to take a chance on any potential for a voided warranty should he have engine or transmission issues.

My father's reason for a tune was the fact he did not care for the delayed throttle acceleration when getting on the gas pedal. There would be a pause, nothing and then explosion. That annoyed my pops so the pro cal took care of that acceleration delay according to my father. Its my understanding according to the Ford dealership the pro cal tune does nothing for shift points in automatic's which my father has.

If your #1 concern is maintaining warranty coverage for potential failures this pro cal system would be your best option. I say this if ones concern is MAINTAINING WARRANTY COVERAGE. I personally felt my father should of gone with other tuning options (bama) but for him guaranteed warranty coverage was his concern. Hope this helped. 😜
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:17 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

seems like i opened a small can of worms. But all good info. Warranty is not a concern its an 06. i do plan for future mods. for now i drive it 60 miles round trip on the interstate daily and it will get driven on 3 to 4 hour one way trips alot(1 to 3 times a week) starting in October for my sons senior year in wrestling (our location, Yuma, we get a lot of road time in) So i am looking at CAI with tuner, 1 for a little better MPG, 2 throttle lag. 3 you gotta love the suction sound when you lead foot the gas.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:29 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I thought that was where you were headed, have fun with it

Old 08-22-2014, 11:44 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
seems like i opened a small can of worms. But all good info. Warranty is not a concern its an 06. i do plan for future mods. for now i drive it 60 miles round trip on the interstate daily and it will get driven on 3 to 4 hour one way trips alot(1 to 3 times a week) starting in October for my sons senior year in wrestling (our location, Yuma, we get a lot of road time in) So i am looking at CAI with tuner, 1 for a little better MPG, 2 throttle lag. 3 you gotta love the suction sound when you lead foot the gas.
Since warranty coverage is not a issue for you, I would not go with a pro cal and look for other companies via Bama, Steeda, Lund, MPT etc.

Sent from my naked Johnson. The third real non Boss 227
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT