Catalytic converter - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-25-2014, 06:24 PM   #1
Registered Member
Region: Indiana
Catalytic converter

If I knock the ceramic out of my cats will it throw a code or set off my engine light due to the oxygen sensor.

Zcarmack16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 12:26 AM   #2
Registered Member
Region: Illinois
Dont do it. The hollowed out cat will make a terrible sound if its empty.

2009 Mustang GT Premium; FRRP 4.10 Gears, J&M Lower Control Arms, BBK Long Tube Headers, BBK Catted X Pipe, Pypes M80 Mid Mufflers, Pypes Pype Bomb Axle Back, JLT Series 3 Cold Air Intake, Bama 93 Octane Race Tune, Black Decklid Panel, Weathertech Mats, SVE Shifter and Shorty Antenna.
Langer1099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 12:36 AM   #3
Registered Member
Region: Illinois
Are you talking about completely hollowing it out? If so, Yeah It'll throw codes. Theres no filtration of the gasses. Basically like having straight pipes, i would assume.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
PonyBoyV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 03:13 AM   #4
Registered Member
Region: Indiana
Do I buy a kit and replace the cat then?
Zcarmack16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 05:00 AM   #5

Region: Florida
Originally Posted by Zcarmack16 View Post
Do I buy a kit and replace the cat then?
Why? What do you expect to gain?

Other than attention from a louder exhaust, and the chances of getting a fine (Federal law supersedes any local laws or no state emissions check), there's no real gain to be had.

Be sure to keep them if you do remove them, as its also against federal law to sell a vehicle without its cats, either as a private sale, or trade in. Even with an "as -is" clause in a sale, you can still be fined and forced to install or buy back the vehicle.

From a link that was found googling if its against the law to remove a catalytic converter:

Rules for Replacing Converters
In 1986, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency issued new guidelines for the construction, efficiency and installation of aftermarket catalytic converters. All CleanAir converters listed in this catalog have been designed, tested and manufactured to meet this policy.
In addition, CleanAir converter listed in this catalog is appropriate for use under the current requirements of the California Air Resources Board (C.A.R.B.).
E.P.A. guidelines state that replacement converters may be installed only in the following situations:
1. The vehicle is missing a converter
2. A state or local inspection program has determined that the existing converter needs replacement
3. Vehicles manufactured prior to 1996 must have more than 50,000 miles, and a legitimate need for replacement must be established and documented
4. In cases of OBD Il-equipped vehicles (1996 and later), the O.E. manufacturer's 8-year/80,000-mile warranty must have expired and a legitimate need for replacement must be established and documented.
Please note that Federal law prohibits removal or replacement of a properly functioning O.E. converter.
When replacement of the converter is appropriate (as outlined above), the E.P.A. further requires that:
1. It be installed in the same location as the original
2. It be the same type as the original (i.e., two-way, three-way, three-way plus air/three-way plus oxidation)
3. It be the proper model for the vehicle application as determined and specified by the manufacturer
4. It be properly connected to any existing air injection components on the vehicle
5. It be installed with any other required converter for a particular application
6. It be accompanied by a warranty information card to be completed by the installer.

It is possible that the catalytic converter was stolen and the seller was unaware of this. Stealing catalytic converters seems to be the latest craze among thieves. They contain valuable metals for recyclers.

Driving a car without a catalytic converter is illegal unless age of vehicle is exempt. Car will not pass emissions test. It is illegal to sell a car with tampered emissions system.

Read more:

Is it worth it?
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT