400 rwhp !? Safely. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-01-2014, 04:46 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
400 rwhp !? Safely.

I have an 07 gt all the starter mods. Bbk long tubes, catted x pipe, intake tune ect. My car made 320 rwhp and 335 ft lbs of Torque on a dyno jet. I would like to hit the 400 mark. I'm open to all suggestions. car will be daily driven. And I would like to stay under 3,500$. Can it be done?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
GunMetalGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2014, 05:00 PM   #2
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
If you find a supercharger, turbocharger, or nitrous for under $3500 then yes. If you want to go N/A then it will cost a lot more than that.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 05:06 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
^^^ What Soccerluvr said. I'm running a 100 shot of nitrous now and love it. Got my kit used and with window switch, bottle heater, purge, etc still a lil bit under the 1k mark. Just make sure to get a good tune and switch spark plugs to a one step colder plug if you go this route.
610swolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2014, 05:07 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Cheapest way would be to get a good N2O set up. Have it installed right or do it yourself properly. (window switch, bottle warmer)
Set up should be well under 3500. Can also get you over 400rwhp.
For a daily driver to get to 400 may not be practical without F/I. I think you would need to run big cams and have your heads ported.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
silvr002001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 05:12 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I'm open to F/I I just figured it would be way out of my price range from what I've seen. I was looking at at nitrous express kit. Could i repeatedly run a 100 shot on stock internals ?

Old 09-01-2014, 05:29 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

so long as everything is set up properly with all the things mentioned yes, could possibly go more than 100
Old 09-01-2014, 05:50 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunMetalGT View Post
I'm open to F/I I just figured it would be way out of my price range from what I've seen. I was looking at at nitrous express kit. Could i repeatedly run a 100 shot on stock internals ?

There is a kb supercharger for sale right now for that much

05 Gt Premium Performance White, flowmaster outlaws
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 05:54 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I'm selling my supercharger V3 complete kit other than a dyno tune 3500 US. Hp will go from 300 stock to 475 crank depending on the tune . With your mods 500+ rwhp. I accept PAY PAL. You can buy it on ebay it's listed infact I just listed it a few hours ago first come first serve.
gladiatoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 06:15 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

400 rwhp !? Safely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladiatoro View Post
I'm selling my supercharger V3 complete kit other than a dyno tune 3500 US. Hp will go mfrom 300 stock to 475 crank depending on the tune . With your mods 500+ rwhp. I accept PAY PAL. You can buy it on ebay it's listed infact I just listed it a few hours ago first come first serve.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isnt the normal accepted horsepower limit for stock internals 450? Or could I just run less boost ?

Old 09-01-2014, 06:20 PM   #10
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong but isnt the normal accepted horsepower limit for stock internals 450? Or could I just run less boost ?

400-450. For the 3v I wouldn't go higher than 450

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 06:34 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Brent from brenspeed was telling me the key is to keep torque under 450 to the wheels on the 3v. However I run mine right at 450rwhp and I don't think I'll increase the boost. If anything maybe add a set of long tubes. I've seen a lot of guys running 480 490 500 rwhp for years with no issues. But there are also guys that have their motor let go at 430. Tuning and how you drive it plays a big role. You could get tuned to run at 450 if it make you feel more comfortable.

Old 09-01-2014, 09:51 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Centris are much more forgiving vs roots superchargers due to the fact that the boost comes on much smoother . The benefits of centris are that boost runs right up to red line so they will be faster every time vs a heavy top mounted blower. You can tune your car to 450 RWHP hp or so , if you want more you have to forge. The key is a good tune and never run lean which = a good tune.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:36 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
I have an 07 gt all the starter mods. Bbk long tubes, catted x pipe, intake tune ect. My car made 320 rwhp and 335 ft lbs of Torque on a dyno jet. I would like to hit the 400 mark. I'm open to all suggestions. car will be daily driven. And I would like to stay under 3,500$. Can it be done?

Are you able to do the work yourself if you go FI?

Sent from my microwave
Old 09-02-2014, 09:16 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

The 4.6 3V is more stout than people think Vortech has been running 16 psi and 575 Hp for years with NO PROBLEMS . In fact one of there cars has over 150 dyno pulls and is still all in one piece. Like I said before it's all in the tune. Check out the link.

page 8 - Thunder Road: The Standing Mile - Vortech Mustang GT - Road & Track
Old 09-02-2014, 10:11 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
The 4.6 3V is more stout than people think Vortech has been running 16 psi and 575 Hp for years with NO PROBLEMS . In fact one of there cars has over 150 dyno pulls and is still all in one piece. Like I said before it's all in the tune. Check out the link.

page 8 - Thunder Road: The Standing Mile - Vortech Mustang GT - Road & Track
I don't think that car has the stock engine. It certainly doesn't have the stock transmission.
Last I knew, a Mustang GT didn't have a 6th gear until 2011.

A quote from that article-

This is apparently a run in which Holdener has kept the hammer down well past the mile mark to see if the Mustang hits the 6600-rpm rev limiter in top gear. It does. Which equates to 192 mph. We can see it on the data. When Holdener heard the rev limiter cut the engine in 6th, he called it "music to my ears."

Odds are, this car is running around with a built engine, not one that came off the showroom floor. My guess, is that car is a completely built shop car. It's designed to show what their SC is capable of on a built platform.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:13 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish416 View Post
I don't think that car has the stock engine. It certainly doesn't have the stock transmission.
Last I knew, a Mustang GT didn't have a 6th gear until 2011.

A quote from that article-

This is apparently a run in which Holdener has kept the hammer down well past the mile mark to see if the Mustang hits the 6600-rpm rev limiter in top gear. It does. Which equates to 192 mph. We can see it on the data. When Holdener heard the rev limiter cut the engine in 6th, he called it "music to my ears."

Odds are, this car is running around with a built engine, not one that came off the showroom floor. My guess, is that car is a completely built shop car. It's designed to show what their SC is capable of on a built platform.
If you listen to the video the guy says the car is BASICALLY A PRODUCTION CAR and sixth gear may be just a misworded thing .... in fact if you look at the chart below that it says 5 speed and all that was really changed was aerodynamics
rear spoiler delete , mirrors etc for extreme high speed , very impressive indeed 192 MPH in 5th.

QUOTE "This Mustang is Vortech's well-used tester, subject to more than 150 dyno pulls before showing up at Lemoore to again prove the IMPRESSIVE DURABILTIY of Ford's 3-valve V-8s. Fed 16 psi of boost from Vortech's H.O. centrifugal supercharger through a large water-to-air intercooler in the nose of the car, this V-8 puts out 575 bhp at 6500 rpm "
Old 09-02-2014, 05:37 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

400 rwhp !? Safely.

I don't know if it's a fair statement to say a centrifugal is faster every time. I think there are a some companies that would disagree with you as well. You know kenne bell, whipple, eaton to name a few. if that was true seems like the would never sell any positive displacement superchargers and these companies would be out of business.There are advantages and disadvantages to both in my opinion. I'm glad I chose the eaton TVS

Old 09-02-2014, 07:52 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Positive displacement all the way!

Bennyhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:15 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

The roots or twin screw superchargers will make boost right off idle and are good for heavy trucks with automatic transmissions. The one main disadvantage to this type of blower is gas mileage. Every time you touch the throttle the computer has to add fuel and pull timing to stave off detonation. Even at light throttle the computer has to go into this mode.

The centrifugal supercharger works differently. It basically freewheels until you put enough load on the engine to drop the vacuum down to near zero. At that point the blowoff valve closes and the charger starts making boost. Until that point, the computer is still in cruise mode with full timing and a lean fuel mixture.

Will a roots or twin screw make more power at low RPM? Absolutely. The question is, is that what you really want or need?

A stock Mustang will spin the tires from a standing start pretty easily, so there’s no need to add a huge amount of power below 2500 RPM do you really want to sit there and spin the tires NO , If you are making stock or more power than stock, you’re going to be past the 2500 mark in a hurry.

If you start driving aggressively and shift the car at 5500 or 6000 RPM, it’s going to drop into the next gear at over 4000 RPM The centrifugal supercharger is right in the meat of its power band and building power fast.

An automatic transmission that downshifts under heavy throttle will also drop right into the perfect area of the power band.

The roots or twin screw has such a flat power band that they are just not exciting. Most of them are all done by 4500 – 5000 RPM. At higher rpm like I said the centri comes alive and gets very very powerfull all the way up to red line progressively that is. That's what makes them so nasty and fun.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:47 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Sounds like your really liking the centri, I much prefer positive displacement. Also my gas mileage hasn't suffered at all when I'm driving normally.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:05 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvr002001 View Post
Sounds like your really liking the centri, I much prefer positive displacement. Also my gas mileage hasn't suffered at all when I'm driving normally.

To each his own if your happy with your set up then that's all that counts. Btw any problems with your 450 rwhp or so set up ? Did you forge ? Or is your engine stock.

Old 09-02-2014, 10:26 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The roots or twin screw superchargers will make boost right off idle and are good for heavy trucks with automatic transmissions. The one main disadvantage to this type of blower is gas mileage. Every time you touch the throttle the computer has to add fuel and pull timing to stave off detonation. Even at light throttle the computer has to go into this mode.

The centrifugal supercharger works differently. It basically freewheels until you put enough load on the engine to drop the vacuum down to near zero. At that point the blowoff valve closes and the charger starts making boost. Until that point, the computer is still in cruise mode with full timing and a lean fuel mixture.

Will a roots or twin screw make more power at low RPM? Absolutely. The question is, is that what you really want or need?

A stock Mustang will spin the tires from a standing start pretty easily, so there’s no need to add a huge amount of power below 2500 RPM do you really want to sit there and spin the tires NO , If you are making stock or more power than stock, you’re going to be past the 2500 mark in a hurry.

If you start driving aggressively and shift the car at 5500 or 6000 RPM, it’s going to drop into the next gear at over 4000 RPM The centrifugal supercharger is right in the meat of its power band and building power fast.

An automatic transmission that downshifts under heavy throttle will also drop right into the perfect area of the power band.

The roots or twin screw has such a flat power band that they are just not exciting. Most of them are all done by 4500 – 5000 RPM. At higher rpm like I said the centri comes alive and gets very very powerfull all the way up to red line progressively that is. That's what makes them so nasty and fun.

Why are we talking gas mileage? If your building a race car it's out of the question! My positive displacement makes boost instantly! I'm not dumping money into a mustang to wait for boost to pick up! I want it now! And btw I get the same mileage as I did without the supercharger! Just depends on how I drive! Hell I get better mileage then I did before , but I installed a 6 speed mt. And I have 2 other vehicles for daily driving!

Bennyhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 06:22 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

No issues with 450 RWHP. Running very well. Stock internals. I'm gonna get all the mileage I can out of the current engine until I'm forced to build a better bottom end.

Old 09-03-2014, 06:28 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
I'm selling my supercharger V3 complete kit other than a dyno tune 3500 US. Hp will go from 300 stock to 475 crank depending on the tune . With your mods 500+ rwhp. I accept PAY PAL. You can buy it on ebay it's listed infact I just listed it a few hours ago first come first serve.
So you had the edelbrock blower and sold it, now the V3 and selling it???

What's the point?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:00 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
So you had the edelbrock blower and sold it, now the V3 and selling it???

What's the point?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
I'm only selling it as I am buying the polished V3 simply a cosmetic thing , plus the Vortech intercooler polished as well complete kit from Brennspeed estimated Hp 530-550 price $ 5443, I figure if i'm going to install a supercharger then I want the right one and the polished chrome just looks so much nicer , plus if you really want to know Rapinator my car got impounded for excessive speed I was driving with my girlfriend and I was doing 153 in a 100 zone so I have to wait a month to get it out , yeah I have a lead foot lol.. and pay heavy fines of course .

So this delayed my install and I never got a chance to do the &^%$ install I had a shop lined up and all with a dyno on premise. Oh well slight delay ....

btw not sure why pictures are upside down but there is my car getting towed leaving me and my girlfriend stranded had to call by brother for a ride and the cop hiding in the ditch ha... with my girlfriend looking on , I took the pictures with my I - phone.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0195.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	970.6 KB
ID:	165068   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0196.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	165069  

Old 09-03-2014, 09:08 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No issues with 450 RWHP. Running very well. Stock internals. I'm gonna get all the mileage I can out of the current engine until I'm forced to build a better bottom end.

That's good how many miles have you driven with the supercharger ?
Old 09-03-2014, 11:23 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Maybe only 500 as I don't drive it everyday.

Old 09-03-2014, 11:28 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

I think roots superchargers have bypass valves that help with the fuel issue. I have an 04 focus svt with a roots style supercharger and with the custom tune I got it make better mpg than N/A.
2006 GT, C&L RACER INTAKE, FRPP THROTTLE BODY, FRPP INTAKE MANIFOLD, FRPP HOTROD CAMS, FRPP SHORTY HEADERS, CUSTOM X PIPE, BORLA ATAK MUFFLERS, FRPP SPRINGS, BAMA TUNE, CERVINIS STALKER II HOOD, STREET SCENE GEN 1 FASCIA AND REAR VALANCE
Dago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 11:30 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
400-450. For the 3v I wouldn't go higher than 450

Bullitts are better than Bullets
I think it depends on the power adder too. I read somewhere Whipple's blower can run higher boost without strengthening the internals, however, I could be wrong.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:10 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dago View Post
I think roots superchargers have bypass valves that help with the fuel issue. I have an 04 focus svt with a roots style supercharger and with the custom tune I got it make better mpg than N/A.
Yeah you are correct the Edelbrock has one so the newer ones fuel consumption is similar to a centri but they are still much heavier so
your adding weight which = less performance. Centris at high rpm
can't be beat they run full boost at red line depending on application
that would be around 10 psi with the V3 intercooled , so the car pulls like a train.
Old 09-03-2014, 03:46 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Gladiatoro, you sure you don't work for vortech?!! I'm just kiddin ya man, but yes we get it, you love centrifugal superchargers!! You should see if vortech will give you a commission. Then you can hit up shelby roush and saleen to tell them they used the wrong kind of supercharger. Lol just teasin you buddy. Everyone likes something different.

I was wondering though if the OP had made any decisions about what direction he was gonna go to get some more power.

Old 09-03-2014, 08:53 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Gladiatoro, you sure you don't work for vortech?!! I'm just kiddin ya man, but yes we get it, you love centrifugal superchargers!! You should see if vortech will give you a commission. Then you can hit up shelby roush and saleen to tell them they used the wrong kind of supercharger. Lol just teasin you buddy. Everyone likes something different.

I was wondering though if the OP had made any decisions about what direction he was gonna go to get some more power.

Ha to each his own one thing about the saleens or roush they pack a big punch just a different kind of power that's all.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT