Cams - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-04-2014, 10:07 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Cams

I know this is an old question that has been debated to death. So, I decided to bring it back up, because I want opinions on cams for a N/A motor. Theres a lot of talk about the Ford cams, Detroit Rockers and then the Comps cams. Im not worried about sound as much as I am about performace. I want them to perform not just sound good.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
05_stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2014, 10:11 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
cams on an NA motor will help (depending on your current mods) but it wwont be a dramatic diffrence. performace parts will always add up in power. but dont expect a huge jump in power.
Joaquin_ii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 11:19 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
No cams can wake up a motor! Say you had an 62mm tb, intake, ported heads, long tubes, off road mid pipe all with the stock cams then you would get a pretty big jump in power by adding cams to the setup. It just all depends.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
08Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2014, 11:19 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I should have added the mods to the post. My car has LT headers, O/R x-pipe, JLT cai and a dyno tune. I will be adding 3.73 gears in the next couple of weeks.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:27 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
You will love them, I installed FRPP hot rod cams in my car last year, there is an increase in performance but you will need a larger throttle body and ideally a FRPP intake manifold to take full advantage of them, I went that route and noticed an increase in performance, there will be a small decrease in the low end but your 3.73 gears will take care of it
2006 GT, C&L RACER INTAKE, FRPP THROTTLE BODY, FRPP INTAKE MANIFOLD, FRPP HOTROD CAMS, FRPP SHORTY HEADERS, CUSTOM X PIPE, BORLA ATAK MUFFLERS, FRPP SPRINGS, BAMA TUNE, CERVINIS STALKER II HOOD, STREET SCENE GEN 1 FASCIA AND REAR VALANCE
Dago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 02:03 AM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dago View Post
You will love them, I installed FRPP hot rod cams in my car last year, there is an increase in performance but you will need a larger throttle body and ideally a FRPP intake manifold to take full advantage of them, I went that route and noticed an increase in performance, there will be a small decrease in the low end but your 3.73 gears will take care of it
Did you install them yourself??

05 Gt Premium Performance White, flowmaster outlaws, Jlt Series 3, Bama 91r tune
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 02:08 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Yes I did, it took me around 8 hours to do the cams and the intake manifold, got the tools online and sold them after use.
2006 GT, C&L RACER INTAKE, FRPP THROTTLE BODY, FRPP INTAKE MANIFOLD, FRPP HOTROD CAMS, FRPP SHORTY HEADERS, CUSTOM X PIPE, BORLA ATAK MUFFLERS, FRPP SPRINGS, BAMA TUNE, CERVINIS STALKER II HOOD, STREET SCENE GEN 1 FASCIA AND REAR VALANCE
Old 09-05-2014, 02:16 AM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
How hard were the cams? Those were the ones I want and I would prefer to install.them myself

05 Gt Premium Performance White, flowmaster outlaws, Jlt Series 3, Bama 91r tune
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 06:59 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I am going to get the shop that dyno tunes my car to install them. That why he can tune the car after the install. I found a company that has cams that im interested in. The company is called Cushman Motor Sports. The cam looks similar to the HR cams.

Old 09-06-2014, 01:19 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

It is very easy, if you have an extra set of hands you could be done in a couple of hours, I did and didn't used the spring compressor tool, I only used the timing chain wedge tool, just unscrewed the bolts that hold the camshafts slowly and evenly, the other set of hands holded the cam phaser while I installed the new camshaft in place, there's a video from brenspeed where I got the idea from.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT