Spark plugs - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-06-2014, 09:15 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Spark plugs

Going to tackle the infamous 3v spark plug change, anyone got any advice thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Boosted_3v is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2014, 10:08 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Anyone know the size socket to use?

Old 09-06-2014, 10:25 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

How do you know if you broke one in the head?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2014, 10:50 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

When you're at the parts store take a spark plug and walk to the tool section and match the plug to the correct socket. I'd get one for spark plugs, that rubber o - ring in it is nice to have to extract plug out of the block.

You'll know it's a broken plug very easily when you're in there.
dblhelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 11:50 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Which plugs are you using? I just did mine and replaced with one piece Champions, three of the plugs broke, even after soaking them in carb cleaner as recommended, 2 of those three only left the tip inside which is very easy to get out with the special tool, but the one was a pain since the ceramic part broke in several small pieces and the special tool says the ceramic part must be flush with the tip in order to push it and still have room to screw the tool that will get it out, so my wife helped me to get the ceramic pieces with qtips soaked with bee honey (yes Qtips and honey), holding them with my pliers. spent close to 2 hours with that one plug but well worth it as I manage to get all the small pieces out, once I got the plug tip out, cleaned again with carb cleaner, just in case the remaining honey made my engine smell like pancakes.
2006 GT, C&L RACER INTAKE, FRPP THROTTLE BODY, FRPP INTAKE MANIFOLD, FRPP HOTROD CAMS, FRPP SHORTY HEADERS, CUSTOM X PIPE, BORLA ATAK MUFFLERS, FRPP SPRINGS, BAMA TUNE, CERVINIS STALKER II HOOD, STREET SCENE GEN 1 FASCIA AND REAR VALANCE
Dago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 12:59 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1410026289.407412.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	1,009.1 KB
ID:	165305 got them all 8 used seafoam deep creep that stuff is strong!! it works 10x better then BP blaster. Did not brake any and you can't switch to 1 pice can you on a 07 GT?

Old 09-06-2014, 01:22 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

And what should I gap them at!

Old 09-06-2014, 02:53 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Bump?

Old 09-06-2014, 03:33 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I haven't bought a plug in 10 years that wasn't pre - gapped and even when I check they are always dead on.
dblhelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 08:55 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I used champions that are a direct replacement for 05-08 and they have to be gapped.
2006 GT, C&L RACER INTAKE, FRPP THROTTLE BODY, FRPP INTAKE MANIFOLD, FRPP HOTROD CAMS, FRPP SHORTY HEADERS, CUSTOM X PIPE, BORLA ATAK MUFFLERS, FRPP SPRINGS, BAMA TUNE, CERVINIS STALKER II HOOD, STREET SCENE GEN 1 FASCIA AND REAR VALANCE
Old 09-08-2014, 10:11 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
i will never do this lol...i'll sell the car when it gets to 80k and let someone else mess with this nightmare.
dmarq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 12:32 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Thank god my dad works for Ford and does this on a weekly basis, don't ever do the 1/4 turn then spray them, if they are going to break they already broke. From what he has said, get the engine hot for about 20 mins running at 2k and hit them with an impact gun. If they are going to break they'll break is what he tells me

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
matleez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 12:46 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Don't ever use a impact gun that's the dumbest thing you can ever do! I've done 8+ spark plug changes and the 1/4 turn with 1 hour of deep creep always works for me never broken one plug. Sorry your dad is on a good one.

Old 09-13-2014, 01:49 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Honestly my dad has been working for Ford longer than 1/2 of us have been breathing, if you turn a seized plug a quarter turn it would already break, doesn't matter if you turn in a full turn or quarter, if it's stuck it's stuck, I'd trust someone who has done 2 a month for 10 years verses someone who has just done 8+ sorry. And the tolerance on yours may be a lil more than most.

Old 09-14-2014, 12:07 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
There will always be debate for the best method on this. Using an impact vs. slowly turning is a very different approach. The impact method is not what was recommended in the Ford TSB. The dirty little secret is that if Ford breaks the plug off, the customer pays for each one broken to be extracted. Ford shops are all about turnover, so why not use an impact, it's fast and if it doesn't work the customer pays. Ask your Dad who pays for broken plugs and how much?

Chevy runs deep, don't step in Chevy.

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 12:13 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Yea it's the customer, I was there last week when a guy brought his in for it and the service desk told him I think 4-600 just in case any are seized and break off, they absolutely hate that engine for plugs there. On avg only one breaks when they do the impact gun way.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:58 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Awesome! Glad u got all 8 without any hiccups!

Just did the plug swap on my 05 GT two weekends ago. Had 82k miles on the clock.. Went with the soak in deep creep method because the impact gun method on the plugs just makes me nervous.

I let them soak over night in deep creep and was very patient. Still ended up breaking two of them off in the head. (But I think if I did it again I could get all 8 without breakage)

Then came the Lisle tool. This simple yet amazing tool quickly moved up to one of my favorite tools of all time. It took me a YouTube video to understand how it worked but after that, both broken plugs came out with ease.

Now she is running great! I am so glad I didn't shell out the extra money to a shop. The quotes I got before I tackled this were everywhere from to $500-900. That insanity is why I decided to man up. Including the lisle tool I did mine for around $170.

Patience and the right tool made the job much easier than the horror stories had led me to believe.
Built_GT_Tough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 04:28 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

That tool is great, did you used the same sparkplug? I upgraded to the champions 1 piece. It's crazy to pay that kind of money to a shop for doing sparkplugs, I better spend it in another mod.
Old 09-18-2014, 05:47 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Right! Plan on using some of the savings for some new front control arms & ball joints.

I spent a couple days going back and forth between the champions and motorcraft/autolite but in the end went with the motorcraft. Apparently the motorcraft/autolites were redesigned in 08-09 with a stronger steel tip to prevent chances of breaking again. That and actually using some antisieze this time will hopefully prevent any future issues. Figured they are still recommended so I went with it.

Hope I dont regret not going with the champion one piece :-/ at least I got the lisle now if I do..
Old 09-18-2014, 07:42 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Shoot, I better change my plugs now too...

The sticker on the door jam of my car at the top left corner reads "Date: 05/08" Is that the build date of my car? In that case I have 1 piece plugs and it's just a standard plug change, right? My coils aren't brown though, but the rubber piece that goes into the head is...
Cbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:09 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Yea. That's your build date. And the serial number at the bottom of that sticker should give you the exact day. Although not sure what the last four digits in that serial are though.

Pretty sure the new one piece plug threaded heads came in October or November of 07. But would check the coils to be sure. I believe just the bottom of the boot is brown but someone that has one can confirm Cuz I have never seen the brown ones in person.
Old 09-21-2014, 08:03 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Built_GT_Tough View Post
Yea. That's your build date. And the serial number at the bottom of that sticker should give you the exact day. Although not sure what the last four digits in that serial are though.

Pretty sure the new one piece plug threaded heads came in October or November of 07. But would check the coils to be sure. I believe just the bottom of the boot is brown but someone that has one can confirm Cuz I have never seen the brown ones in person.

I am about to do my '08 plug change as well and bought the Motorcraft replacements. Where did you get the Lisle tool from? I want to have it in my hands just in case.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
cmegnin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 12:50 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

I got it from Amazon for 60 bucks.. The instructions that came with it were kind of garbage but there are some good YouTube videos that show how to use it..
Old 09-21-2014, 04:37 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Just changed my plugs today. Pulled the coil packs, did the sea foam deep creep thing, changed my oil while that worked its magic and not one broken plug! I have an 07 GT with 58,000 miles. One plug felt tight, so I used a torque wrench set to 33 lbs. and it came out without breaking. I used all the tips and tricks that I learned on this forum!! Thankfully it all worked out.

cat1dsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 06:08 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Told you guys use the deep creep it's the best stuff out there you will not brake a plug, don't use a damn impact gun like some idiots do.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT