Any Help? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-01-2014, 02:21 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Post Any Help?

Hi, i have a 06 mustang v6. I've been having this weird problem with my car. Sometimes when i start the car it shakes and then dies. If i try to turn it on again it always starts up. But only the 2nd time its guaranteed. It's not a major problem but i am scared it will become worst over time. Anyone know whats the problem and if i should be worried?
strips is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2014, 05:07 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
If it starts up the second time just fine and runs consistently from point A to point B then your "hardware" or mechanical parts seem to be fine. Sounds like a computer related issue or sensor of some kind.

No check engine lights? Something to try it to pull your positive battery terminal off and let it sit for an hour. That will reset the computer. Could just be a fluke. I know I had a couple in my 2005 V6 mustang.
Cbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 10:54 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbird View Post
If it starts up the second time just fine and runs consistently from point A to point B then your "hardware" or mechanical parts seem to be fine. Sounds like a computer related issue or sensor of some kind.

No check engine lights? Something to try it to pull your positive battery terminal off and let it sit for an hour. That will reset the computer. Could just be a fluke. I know I had a couple in my 2005 V6 mustang.
I don't think its the computer though. Because this has been happening for a bit. It;s just gotten worse. At first my car would shake before it starts up. But now it dies down. I have a new battery and alternator. And theirs no engine lights open.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2014, 08:56 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Any Help?

Have you tried cleaning your throttle body and your MAF sensor? Is the car stock?

Chevy runs deep, don't step in Chevy.

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 10:41 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

What if you double prime the fuel pump? Turn key to on then back off twice before starting it after its been sitting for at least 2 hours. If that fixes it its a fuel problem. Possibly the filter if that's never been changed

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 10-02-2014, 11:46 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Only thing ive changed in the car are performance parts. Like coil pack, cool air intake and i am changing the spark plugs and spark plug wires today. Someone told me its my spark plugs. And i plan to buy a new throttle body soon. You think the throttle is the problem? And Cbird someone else mentioned that. I'll try it but the problem is i am not sure when it will start and then die down. Its 50/50 so i couldnt be sure if turning the car on but dont start it will even work work
Old 10-02-2014, 11:48 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Oh and ive changed my car battery and alternator and my heater core. I think thats it or atleast anything dealing with my engine.
Old 10-02-2014, 12:26 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

If you suspect the throttle body you can get by with just cleaning the stock one. You won't have to replace the unit.

When you change the plugs make sure you stay with oem plugs or something that's gotten good reviews for those motors. In my 2005 v6 I threw in iridium NGKs and the throttle response sucked so bad and it would kinda stumble on itself when you asked it to go full throttle.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 10-02-2014, 02:08 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

ohhhh...... went to american muscle right? ..... cause that were i bought mine but i didnt want to spend 70 bucks for spark plugs. I bought the 30 bucks one. The NGK G-Power Platinum Performance Spark Plugs (05-10 V6). Yours are the higher end one. Should i be expecting to be screwed over by these?
Old 10-02-2014, 02:09 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

And i plan to buy a more performance made throttle body. I hear i could alittle more hp out of it if i do that.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:23 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Just buy a can of throttle body cleaner and MAF cleaner. You can clean it pretty good without removing it, although that's better. The MAF is an easy pull out, spray and re-install. Fuel filter could be a problem or even a bad or dirty injector.

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:10 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah the fuel filter i was thinking of changing in a bit. How long till those good bad? hmmm im putting in the new spark plugs tomorrow so ill see if that helps in anyway. But now everytime i start the car i push the gas peddle it keeps the car from dying out but it still shakes after i release the peddle like it still wants to shut off.
Old 10-03-2014, 02:15 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Seems like a fuel issue to me. Fuel filter is a cheap fix. Maybe try getting fuel from a different station for while. Next injectors might be dirty. Fuel filters last depending on how dirty the gas is, just like an air filter doesn't last long in real dusty areas.

Old 10-03-2014, 03:34 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I bought some techron. I hope that will solve everything.
Old 10-03-2014, 04:57 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Cbird. I put in the new spark plugs. And you were right. They have a delay. I feel like i lost speed.
Old 10-04-2014, 11:19 AM   #16
Road Trip!

Region: Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by strips View Post
Cbird. I put in the new spark plugs. And you were right. They have a delay. I feel like i lost speed.
How is the car running now? I run chevron with techron with each oil change and even though people tell me its a waste of time I never have these kind of problems.
GW2 Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 11:46 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I put in techron but It didn't do anything. Changing my oil today. Someone say it was cause my throttle body was dirty.
Old 10-06-2014, 11:58 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Alright so i add the new spark plugs and wires. Even changed the oil and got gas at a different place. Now the car doesn't ever die down. It feels like it will though but stays alive now. I even start pressing on the gas peddle to keep it from dying. But i stopped for a bit now to see if it will die down after turning it on. So far it hasn't. This help anyone figure out what it could be for certain?
Old 10-09-2014, 12:11 PM   #19
Road Trip!

Region: Minnesota
soudns like we are throwing darts in the dock. It may be a good idea to go to a ford service dealer and get a diagnostics so that way you can find out exactly what is wrong and fix it rather then spending so much on stuff that doesn't need replacing.

But yeah you can google how to clean and calibrate the throttle body, its not too difficult of a fix to do. keep us updated cus i like to know what the problem is when people say their cars arent runnign well lol
GW2 Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 05:02 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Alright will do man.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT