Gas gauge issue - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-10-2014, 11:08 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Send a message via Skype™ to CyStang
Gas gauge issue

When my tank gets below and the car has sat for a day or so the gas gauge and miles to empty will drop to 10-20 miles left at start up. This will happen until i fill the car all the way up. And yes I know it still had gas in it. The other day it said there was 13 miles left and the gauge was in the red. Filled it up and it only took 9 gallons. Started the car and it was back to normal. Anyone else having an issue like this or have a fix?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
CyStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2014, 10:47 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Do you park in an inclined?

Borla touring, airraid Cai, Mac ceramic shorty headers, frrp x pipe, 2010 gt500 rims, 35 % tint and more to come..
shunc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 10:47 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

No. On a flat driveway.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2014, 12:41 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I went digging. It seems I've found a few things. First, quite a few people recommend using chevron fuel injection cleaner. They claim it took the sulfur and other deposits of of the fuel level sending unit (in the gas tank) and they were good to go in a few drives. If you frequently get gas at a shady place this might be it, but I see you live in Dallas so it's unlikly since you get good gas in the south, 93 too!

If that doesn't fix your problem I would look into replacing the sending unit. You don't have to drop the tank, under the back seats of our car is a access hole to get into all the goodies in the fuel talk. It's not too bad.

I'm guessing there is no check engine light? If not It sounds like the sending unit just has some crud on it and hasn't actually stopped functioning. Since a lot of people have had your problem and reported success with the Chevron I think this is your ticket.

Update: People are also having luck with seafoam, so if you like that better go ahead and try that too.
Cbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 12:51 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

CBird,
Thank you for the reply. I put in some Chevron the other day before I posted. Hopefully it will work. BTW. I live in Dallas, IA. Small town 20 miles from 91 octane. Lol. I was thinking sending until if this does not work.

Old 10-11-2014, 01:01 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyStang View Post
CBird,
Thank you for the reply. I put in some Chevron the other day before I posted. Hopefully it will work. BTW. I live in Dallas, IA. Small town 20 miles from 91 octane. Lol. I was thinking sending until if this does not work.

Ahhh shoot.. that means you're a Cyclone fan then... GO HAWKS!

I live in Ankeny, a few miles from Des Moines haha. Good to finally see someone else from Iowa lol.

Let me know if that chevron fixes your problem man. It will be good to know for when this issue happens to me eventually.
Old 10-11-2014, 01:09 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

We should hook up sometime. I have family in Ankeny so we are up there quite a bit. PM me.

Old 10-11-2014, 02:40 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Sounds good to me bro. Pm sent.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT