Mustang GT RUNS ROUGH AFTER TUNE - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-15-2014, 04:10 PM   #1

Region: Colorado
Mustang GT RUNS ROUGH AFTER TUNE

Hi Guys, I have an 05 GT and i bought an act itsx thru AM. I loaded the 91 Race tune and it wouldn't start. I called SCT and they had to force it back to ford factory stock tune. So i loaded that on the tuner re programmed that and it started. After that I loaded the 91 Race Tune and it was running extremely rich and the car sounded cammed, so i loaded street tune and it too was running rich and running bad and wouldn't even start at first.

So I put it back to the stock tune but its running lean now, Engine light came on. I was looking for some advice on what to do, Thanks

By the Way Mods are: Airaid CAI, BBK Twin 62mm TB, BBK Long Tube Headers, Flowmaster Axle-Back, X-Pipe & High Flow Cats
GT Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2014, 04:30 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
keep a line of communication open with American muscle about your problems. You bought a product brand new from them and tune is clearly not correct. They should take care of it for you.

Tvs 2300/ 452rwhp 416rwtq
silvr002001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 04:42 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
If your tune includes the Airaid CAI, make sure you have removed the venturi tube that allows it run stock without a tune. I had the same issue with my Roush CAI after it was tuned...

Part #3 on this diagram...
http://www.americanmuscle.com/airaid...t-install.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2014, 04:50 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by boink View Post
If your tune includes the Airaid CAI, make sure you have removed the venturi tube that allows it run stock without a tune. I had the same issue with my Roush CAI after it was tuned...

Part #3 on this diagram...
http://www.americanmuscle.com/airaid...t-install.html

Good advice! I bought a cold air intake that "required a tune" but it came with a tube inside the tube that limited the air flow to factory levels ( not sure how you get ANY benefit from that?)

So in short the tune told the car it should be getting more air but because the cold air intake had the "air restriction tube" in place it couldn't get the air it needed. Forcing it to run poorly.

If not this then somebody botched your tune and you should ask for new ones. Takes all of 10 minutes from start to finish.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Cbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 08:27 PM   #5

So I talked to sct and found out car already had a tune on it, most likely why it wouldnt start to begin with. But even tho they put the stock tune back to ford factory stock, why would it run bad after i load the custom tunes. Guess they are just bad tunes. Im going to call bama after i come back to town, leaving tomorrow. See what they have to say. Ill keep u guys posted, Thanks
Old 10-15-2014, 08:38 PM   #6

But even before i got the tuner the car ran fine, smooth and fast. Could that really be the problem with the bone stock tune even tho it ran fine before?
Old 10-15-2014, 08:45 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Scan for the trouble code. It may give you a clue as to what is going on.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 09:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Scan for the trouble code. It may give you a clue as to what is going on.
So i scanned trouble code. Code is p2270, i googled it and says o2 sensor signal stuck lean bank 1 sensor 2 I figured it would start running lean being on stock tune with all the mods
Old 10-15-2014, 09:12 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Try disconnecting the battery for 15 minutes to clear the codes and then let it sit there and idle for about 15 minutes to relearn the idle. Then drive it and see if that code comes back.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Try disconnecting the battery for 15 minutes to clear the codes and then let it sit there and idle for about 15 minutes to relearn the idle. Then drive it and see if that code comes back.
Ok ill see if i can do that tomorrow before i leave. Thanks so much for your help
Old 10-15-2014, 09:31 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
I've gotten the lean bank code before. Cleaned my maf sensor and throttle body and it hasn't come back.

Sent from my microwave
Old 10-15-2014, 09:58 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Tune the car back to stock and then unplug the battery for 15-30 minutes. Then start it up. That combination should not only reset the car to stock but also force it to forget and re-learn fuel trims.

If it's running fine again, which it most likely will, you can conclude the tunes were the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Cbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 11:23 PM   #13

Im out of town right now ill try to d/c battery and relearn idle when i get back. Should be back tomorrow. Thanks guys for your feedback
Old 10-18-2014, 08:27 PM   #14

Ok,reconnted the battery and is running stock tune. Drove it around and engine light came on again. Im going to see if bama can send me new tunes
Old 10-19-2014, 01:26 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

The stock tune would not cause this.
An exhaust leak or an air intake leak can cause this code. It's probably most often caused by the removal of the catalytic converters, but I see that you have some high flow cats... Do you ever wonder what makes them "high flow"? It's because they have less of the ceramic material inside ot them for the exhaust gasses to flow through. Hence, they burn out and stop working much faster than the factory units. So don't rule that out.
Someone also mentioned a dirty MAF as another possible cause.
Old 10-19-2014, 05:16 PM   #16

That code means its running lean right? So with it on the stock tune and with all the mods on the car that seems possible. The car ran fine before i even got the tuner, now its doing all this. I thought it was throwing that code because its running lean.
Old 10-19-2014, 11:37 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Maybe... Maybe not.
The computer may just think that it's running lean. As I mentioned before, any un-metered air from an intake leak can cause this. Also, an exhaust leak can be a possible cause. A bad catalytic converter will cause this code to occur.
Whatever the cause, it seems to only be affecting the passenger side (bank1) of your engine which is why I find it unlikely that the tune is the cause.
I'd inspect the passenger side exhaust for any signs of a leak.
Old 10-21-2014, 11:41 AM   #18

Quote:
Maybe... Maybe not.
The computer may just think that it's running lean. As I mentioned before, any un-metered air from an intake leak can cause this. Also, an exhaust leak can be a possible cause. A bad catalytic converter will cause this code to occur.
Whatever the cause, it seems to only be affecting the passenger side (bank1) of your engine which is why I find it unlikely that the tune is the cause.
I'd inspect the passenger side exhaust for any signs of a leak.
But why would it be a an intake or exhaust leak now, even tho before i got the tuner the car ran fine and never threw any trouble codes. Thanks for the help
Old 10-21-2014, 12:20 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Lol.
Who knows?
Computers and machines... They work perfectly right up to the moment when they stop working entirely.
It's possible that the downstream 02 sensors were tuned off in that tune that you bought the car with.
Do you live in an area that requires emissions testing?
Old 10-21-2014, 01:12 PM   #20

Quote:
Lol.
Who knows?
Computers and machines... They work perfectly right up to the moment when they stop working entirely.
It's possible that the downstream 02 sensors were tuned off in that tune that you bought the car with.
Do you live in an area that requires emissions testing?
Yes
Old 10-21-2014, 01:14 PM   #21

Im just going to have to call SCT or Bama, I've been busy and haven't gotten the chance
Old 11-08-2014, 02:38 PM   #22

Hi guys, i called sct and put it back to the old tune its running great again. Thanks for all you guys feedback.
Old 11-08-2014, 05:19 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

That's why I never trust mail in tunes y9u have someone that is under educated and seriously just makes checks on a checklist and isn't correct or makes a mistake. Take it to a real shop that knows what's going on. 5 years ago I got a tune form bama and my 01 did the same thing had to take it to dallas mustang to get fixed since then I take both cars to dallas mustang and get it tuned runs perfect

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
dude0715 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT