Mustang Evolution Forum banner

What's the most power the s197 block can take?

4K views 41 replies 10 participants last post by  Drew521 
#1 ·
Any one have an idea

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#2 ·
Which one, the 4.6 or 5.0?

#4 ·
I've heard 450 is the max you want to go from most people, but a handful over the years have said they have went to the 500+ mark and been just fine for months. I've also heard a good tune is very important when you are getting up there in numbers so make sure you get that done right when you start getting close to the 450 mark.

#5 ·
Do you mean the actual block or the rotating assembly? The block is supposed to be good well past 600rwhp. The rotating assembly won't stay together after beyond 500rwhp for any amount of time. If you don't have a good tune like mentioned, you can zap something well below that.

Tvs 2300/ 452rwhp 416rwtq

#8 ·
I'm running a whipple on my 3v pushing 479rwhp.

---------- Post added at 10:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 AM ----------

Maybe I should just stay there

#9 ·
The block is different than the internals pretty much all blocks after the pushrod can take whatever you want to throw at them. The part you need to upgrade are the rods, pistons and the crankshaft.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

#25 ·
I'll take up for this dude. If he is running a 3.5 pulley he could without a doubt have made those numbers. He isn't running a m90. Mine made 452RWHP with a tvs and 4 inch pulley. Mine was STD corrected though so you can take about 15 hp off that. I'll post up a link of the dyno I had it done. Has bunch of mustangs, their mods and numbers. You can decide if you think it was a happy dyno. thinking of upgrading to the 3.5 pulley from brenspeed. According to Brent they have great results as long as the TQ is under 450

#28 ·
How many pounds of boost? That is really all that matters since boost can be affected by more than just the pulley. 479rwhp is not going to happen on 8lbs of boost. a 4.6 2v will barely touch 400rwhp with 8lbs (depending on the blower), and no the 3v is not that much better than the 2v.

#31 · (Edited)
450 is more doable.

It says upgraded idler...... So Its not just a 3.5" pulley. I'm guessing that was a bit over 8lbs.

479 though like OP claimed is not happening with just 8lbs.

A basically stock 3v with 8lbs is going to see more in the 430 range realistically.

But we shouldn't take Rap seriously, cause he obviously didn't have a blown 3v before..............................

#33 ·
Mine was a 2.5 valve I think???

If the OP car had full exhaust and no cats it wouldn't doubt it as much, still would like to see it with a correction though. but still dam near 480 with just a blower and since it's smog legal it's a closed air box also?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#34 ·
Guys I would dig into some threads on fnsweet and other forums before you called him out to see what is out there. From all my research and I currently own a 3v supercharged car, he doesn't seem far off to me. If I made my power with a 4 inch huge pulley and 5/12 pounds boost why wouldn't he make 480 with a 3.5 pulley. Remember that blowers have come a long way since the little loaf of bread looking m90. And if he's lying, who cares, it's an Internet forum...

Tvs 2300/ 452rwhp 416rwtq

#40 ·
So I know this thread is old but I was poking around to see what bottom end components I need to upgrade to take my 'stang further. FIgured id pipe up and say I've got a '10 GT with a paxton novi 2200SL running 11lbs of boost and making 525 rwhp and it ran fine all summer....and I don't drive it gingerly lol I don't have the money yet but I want to strengthen whatever needs to be strengthened to take it up further because the car is capable of more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.