Oil. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-01-2014, 08:45 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Oil.

Hey yall. What kinda oil yall run? Personally speaking royal purple is my number one, used it in pretty much all my vehicles that required some performance lube ha. Just wondering what's yall fav?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
sprouledout is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2014, 10:22 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Same here don't use anything else

Boosted_3v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 10:23 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Right. I won't use anything else. I asked them to send me some free oil one time, they said they could only send me a sticker haha

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2014, 12:37 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
I switched over to royal purple not too long ago. Got their synchromax in my TR3650 and that's great as well.

I usually run 5w30 in the hot months And 5w20 in the cold months.

Cbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 07:40 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Mobil 1 in all vehicles.

2008 Roush 427R
2014 V6 Prem
rmb427r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 05:22 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Mobil 1 with a royal purple oil filter. If you run a good oil it will only stay good with a good filter. Top 3

Royal purple
Ams oil
Mobil 1

I've cut all of these open I know what's the best and the worst which is fram...

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
dude0715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 05:44 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Why do you run a rp filter but not their oil?

Old 11-04-2014, 06:11 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

My 3v has full bolt ons and pushing around 350rwhp to me it's not enough power for rp to be nesssesary. If I had a shelby by all means that's what I would use and another the guy I bought it from used mobil 1 it's whole life he got it new and used it for 25k miles then I bought it and kept it going.

By all means rp is awsome. I just really didn't want to change it since it already had mobil 1 it's whole life. Now had it been pensoil I would have swapped in a heart beat not a fan of pensoil however I read the new platimum is good but I haven't tested it in the lab yet I will though in time

Old 11-04-2014, 06:30 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Gotcha. That makes sense.

Old 11-04-2014, 07:01 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Imo it's not set to me only high performance cars need it. Some engines actually consume it very quick. Will however say this there was this car convention and this rep from rp said if one were to swap all fluids out with rp one will gain hp just on fluids so there was an experiment. This shop took a bone stock ss and ran it 3 times got and average power out put. And immediately changed all fluids for rp. Antifreeze tranny rear end and motor oil and ran it they had like 5 guys on it so it took them minutes and out it up on the dyno and wow it really did it gained 11rwhp which isn't alot but the claim is true lol I thought that was pretty cool

The main reason is my car has had mobil 1 it's whole like and doesn't burn a drop runs like a champ why change it and spend more money when mobil 1 is getting the job done?

Old 11-04-2014, 07:20 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Lol 3k guy change it every 3k. Also change my fuel filet out every 3rd oik change. Amd every 15k I change or will change the tranny and rear end fluid I can't help it I'm ocd like crazy. But in my defence I drive like a bat from hell with all my cars and never has issue that was related to what I did honesly never really had any big issues knock on wood. If you don't mind me asking what kind of car is your moms?

Old 11-04-2014, 07:42 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Those Toyota s are tough man lol that explains a lot haha.

I use regular synthetic the ep to me is a waste and a crock and here's why oil industry and cat makers are in this together they don't want your car to last they want it to break that way you have to get another on or have them fix it. I and a friend experimented on his 05 v6 with the mobil 1 ep and did as instructed waited for 15k and wow it was nasty horrible 15k is way to long for any oil. He didn't care about this car it was his beater. I will change mine every 3k clean oil is good oil I wait I took pics of that v6 change it was like tar.

Old 11-04-2014, 08:50 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Agree and disagree I just do not like the color of my oil if I wait longer than 3k and hey if 7500 is working sweet it's really what one has had success with in their lifetime. For my age I have done things that is crazy with cars lol things somebody wouldn't think of like I cut open my fuel filter to see how good the media is and for our cars motorcraft Is the best stay away from off brands. It's funny cause people at my work hate mustangs so much they are either truck or camaro people and it's funny cause every now and then their vehicle will break down or have an issue amd my little FORD PONY is still doing just fine

Old 11-04-2014, 09:26 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Cut open a royal purple and cut open the Napa gold or purgatory and compare ypu will be amazed

Old 11-04-2014, 10:00 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Yes. No comparison. If you wanted to stay at napa go with platinum it's uses a full synthetic media like ams oil and rp. Not as good but they do use a better media than gold. Napa gold, mobil 1 , wix all of those use what I belive is called cellulose media? I think which isn't as good as synthetic I will try to find pics one sec

Old 11-04-2014, 10:02 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

These are the rp what full synthetic media looks like.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1415116918432.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	169163   Click image for larger version

Name:	1415116930325.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	169164  

Old 11-04-2014, 10:06 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Here the Napa filters platimum is at least synthetic media which is a huge leap I've cut most every know filter open and I still belive rp is the best ams pil second and belive it or not pound for pound bang for buck motorcraft. For 3 bucks you actauly get a pretty go filter I was impressed

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1415117089633.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	169165  
Old 11-04-2014, 03:15 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I have a 2013 mustang GT and have 40k miles on it, never changed the oil on it. Is that bad? It's running good still

Laquisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 06:58 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

About 15 bucks for them but to me it's worth and I really hope Trevor was joking...

Old 11-04-2014, 07:04 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Not at all bro. No problem there. Why do you ask man? That bad boy should run minimum 300k miles for ya. I actually started using vegetable oil in my car, do you think that will harm the engine?

The Mustang Source Website is complete trash.

Vegatable oil? Never knew u could use that. So do i like fill up a gas tank full of it and put it where the gas goes or where do I put it in at?

Old 11-04-2014, 07:06 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

What also works good is jack daniels in the fuel tank it will give you like 15 more hp

Old 11-04-2014, 07:18 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Nah bro, you just fill er up right where the oil cap is. I did have to buy a conversion kit on eBay for like $100 bucks but man its so worth it. At first I had tried olive oil and it was good for the first 334 miles and then the strangest thing began to happen. My exhaust started to smell like an Olive Garden dish and was looking power.

After hitting up some forums and a but more research I discovered vegetable oil works great. I do have to change the oil every 500 miles of driving but its so darn cheap to buy and I love changing my oil myself. I was thinking of also trying a corn and canola oil mix too see if that improves the oil change intervals. 👻

Hey thanks for the info' I have been debating on vegetable oil and olive oil, forsure I am going with olive oil now. No brainer! & it even smells pleasantly! 👍 Not sure where the oil cap is though so I'll just take it to ford so they can install for me. Appreciate man.

Old 11-04-2014, 07:48 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

A lot of good information in this thread!
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 07:01 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
...I actually started using vegetable oil in my car...

Are you being serious?

You need to know the rules, to break the rules
Old 11-05-2014, 07:18 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Bro, don't hurt yourself man. Let the pro's do it. I once tried putting the oil cap off and nearly blew up my engine. I some how hit the accel boost toggle and caused the flux capacitor to darn near spill its guts all over the place. ***** was crazy bro so be very careful.

Honestly man, don't even change the oil at all now. You can easily go another 40k with no oil and filter changes. Save your money man. The oil and filter thing is so freaking overrated with blah blah blah nonsense.

Update: took Laquisha to Ford to get some olive oil put in. They filled it up for me and it runs amazing!

Old 11-05-2014, 08:34 AM   #26
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Now, This is a well known scientific fact.

If you have either a Royal Purple or STP sticker on your car you can use the very cheapest motor oil your money can buy.
Don't worry about the viscosity rating because that is just a gimmick to sell you expensive oil.
As far as oil filters go. Just get the cheapest one you can find. ( Why spend a lot of money for something your gonna toss in the trash? )

If you do all of what I'm saying and change your oil & filter about every 10,000 miles and trade your car in every two years you will never ever have a problem and save a whole lot of money.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 11:41 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

The aftermarket really needs to develop an oil filter delete for these cars... So that we can stop all of the damned waste!
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 02:11 PM   #28
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

You youger guy probably don't know this

In 1959 I worked in a gas station. When we did oil changes we ran the oil we removed from a car or truck and actually ran the used oil through what I'm thinking was a Cheese-Cloth. The oil was then put into one quart glass bottles. If the oil was dark the bottle sold for ten cents and if the oil was light it sold for fifteen cents. I bought a lot of the dark oil for my 1947 Dodge I had at that time. ( No, The bottle did not come with the quart of oil)

J.C. Whitny catalog Company had oil filters that took a roll of toilet tissue That were universal and was said to work on any car or truck.

Pep boys sold spark plugs that actually fired submerged in oil. The Atlas Plycron was the best tire you could get. Lee tires were the cheapest.
This is a picture of the glass oil bottles.

My,How times and things have changed

Ronnie
Old 11-07-2014, 02:18 PM   #29
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

No, not 10,000 miles

I just go to my dealer and get Motorcraft FULL synthetic and the filter changed every 7,500 miles. I pay a little more then if I did it myself for six quarts of full synthetic and a filter.$57.10 but I have the same guy I like do it ( Willie) and he checks everything on my car while it is up on the lift. He also lets me wipe inside of my wheels while it is on the lift and inspect the bottom of my car.
I'm happy I have a good dealer because I just can't get down and do it anymore.
I plan on keeping this car for ten years or more and getting the oil/filter changed more often is probably going to pay off better then doing it at 10,000 miles.
Ronnie
Old 11-07-2014, 02:32 PM   #30
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I think 10,000 would be OK

I think running full synthetic for 10,000 miles would be just fine. They say you can actually use it up to 15,000 miles or change it once a year.

It's just me. At one time I was thinking 10,000 but when 7,500 came around I decided on doing it. I also rotate my tires every 5,000 same side. (Front to back)
Ronnie
Old 11-07-2014, 02:48 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
I think running full synthetic for 10,000 miles would be just fine. They say you can actually use it up to 15,000 miles or change it once a year.

It's just me. At one time I was thinking 10,000 but when 7,500 came around I decided on doing it. I also rotate my tires every 5,000 same side. (Front to back)

Ronnie

I also been changing my oil and filter every 7500 miles. I now change my own oil and rotate the tires at 7,500. I already use a synthetic motor oil and was contemplating stepping up to 10k oil change intervals I would just step up to a higher quality oil filter made to last longer on oil change intervals. Currently I'm using Napa Gold filters which I'm happy with but if I went to 10k oil change intervals I would step up to the Napa Platinum oil filter. As another member on here pointed out Napa platinum uses a synthetic mesh filter where the gold filter uses celluse mesh.

I still have to rotate the tires regardless at 7500 miles so who knows. I think on my next oil change I'm gonna send out the oil for analysis to see how much good oil is left and the quality of its brand. I'm currently using Super tech fully synthetic oil. I believe Ford recommends 10k oil change intervals and that's using their 50/50 blend Motorcraft oil, not even a full synthetic oil.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT