Camshaft Phaser ??? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-12-2014, 01:36 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Camshaft Phaser ???

Hi all,
New to the 05-09 Forum. Been on the 87-95 5.0 for a while though.
I'm new to the Modular 4.6 Engine & all I've ever worked on is push rod motors.
Anyways, I recently bought an 08 GT. A few days ago I started hearing some tapping like it was low on oil....but oil was full. So I figured it might be a lifter or something so I took the car to my local Ford Dealer & had it checked out. They said the Cam Phasers were bad & that's whats causing the noise. They say it wont hurt anything...it's just noisy. According to them it's a common problem on these motors & it's not covered under Ford's Power Train Warranty because it wont hurt anything.
Has anyone had this issue ??? Anyone know anything about it ?
The noise will drive me crazy if I can't get rid of it. From what I've read on it ....
Most the time the noise came back again after a while when people replaced the phasers.
Has anyone tried the Cam Phaser Lockouts ? Do they work ?
Hellish Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2014, 04:16 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I wonder if that is the noise I am hearing. Is it most noticeable at idle? Thats when I notice mine.
Mark221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 09:53 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Get some lockouts and your done

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
dude0715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2014, 11:39 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

It's most noticeable at idle. Barely hear it on a Freeway. I read you can disconnect your CTV Reservoir with car turned off. After disconnected, start the car. If noise is still there it's the Cam Phasers. If it's gone...It's the CTV Reservoir.
There's lots of talk on this subject on the F150 web sites.
There's 3 Roll Pins that hold the 2 piece Phasers together & they get bent or shear off causing them to go bad & get noisy.
I was told Lock Outs will quiet the noise...but with loss of Top End Power. Also told to use only 10W 40 Oil because of the screens clogging in the oil reservoir.
Old 11-13-2014, 12:44 AM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellish Horse View Post
It's most noticeable at idle. Barely hear it on a Freeway. I read you can disconnect your CTV Reservoir with car turned off. After disconnected, start the car. If noise is still there it's the Cam Phasers. If it's gone...It's the CTV Reservoir.
There's lots of talk on this subject on the F150 web sites.
There's 3 Roll Pins that hold the 2 piece Phasers together & they get bent or shear off causing them to go bad & get noisy.
I was told Lock Outs will quiet the noise...but with loss of Top End Power. Also told to use only 10W 40 Oil because of the screens clogging in the oil reservoir.
Keep in mind the 4.6 has a bit of a tick to it naturally that most people report

05 Gt Premium Performance White, flowmaster outlaws, Jlt Series 3, Bama 91r tune
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 11:53 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I probably have the same problem never noticed any ticking i did cams an now i hear ticking on my driver side but thinking it might of been a lifter i replaced them all lubed them added additives but no luck havent replaced the phaser yet tho
Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 12:00 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Didn't know the 4.6's had a tick to them or I'd of avoided them all together. The ticking will drive me crazy & have me checking my oil daily. I wonder if After Market Cams, Lifters & Roller Rockers would solve the ticking noise. Was only going to Super Charge, Chip & Tune it but may have to do more if that's what it takes to get rid of the noise.
Anyone know what Ring & Pinion are in these cars ?
Anyone know where I can look up info on my car? I'd like to know things like if the Pistons & Rods are Forged or Hyper, Cam Lift, etc...
The more info I can get ...the better I'll know how to proceed.
Old 11-13-2014, 01:00 PM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellish Horse View Post
Didn't know the 4.6's had a tick to them or I'd of avoided them all together. The ticking will drive me crazy & have me checking my oil daily. I wonder if After Market Cams, Lifters & Roller Rockers would solve the ticking noise. Was only going to Super Charge, Chip & Tune it but may have to do more if that's what it takes to get rid of the noise.
Anyone know what Ring & Pinion are in these cars ?
Anyone know where I can look up info on my car? I'd like to know things like if the Pistons & Rods are Forged or Hyper, Cam Lift, etc...
The more info I can get ...the better I'll know how to proceed.
All the videos I have seen the cams solve the problem not to mention sound mean as hell

05 Gt Premium Performance White, flowmaster outlaws, Jlt Series 3, Bama 91r tune
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT